2 resident cats, new kitten

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! We have 2 resident cats who are each about 1 year 8 months old. We got a new 3 month old male kitten last Tuesday. The kitten introductions went fairly well. One resident male has no problem with the kitten. They aren't best friends but the resident male tolerates him well and seems curious. The resident female hisses and growls at him and has batted at him a few times. They tend to avoid each other.

My question is about the kitten. He seems to be depressed. He sleeps a lot (which I know is normal) but when he is awake he doesn't seem very active. He eats, drinks, and uses the litter box. Is this due to being separated from his litter mates at the shelter? Will it improve over time? Is there anything we can do to cheer him up? Would getting one of his litter mates home help?

To be clear, we did not follow the Jackson galaxy method of introductions since the cats are so young. Did we make a mistake not doing that?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you taIking about this past Tuesday? If so, that may be the reason he is so inactive. If he is a shyer kitten, adjusting to a new home and new cats may be a bit overwheIming. However, keep that vet's appointment. I suspect that the combination of surgery, then new home, new cats is just a IittIe more than he can deaI with easiIy. That said, one of his Iittermates may be just the thing, but do it SOON, given, of course, a cIean biII of heaIth from your own vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you taIking about this past Tuesday? If so, that may be the reason he is so inactive. If he is a shyer kitten, adjusting to a new home and new cats may be a bit overwheIming. However, keep that vet's appointment. I suspect that the combination of surgery, then new home, new cats is just a IittIe more than he can deaI with easiIy. That said, one of his Iittermates may be just the thing, but do it SOON, given, of course, a cIean biII of heaIth from your own vet.
We chose him specifically because he was so social with us at the shelter. I do think it's stress and not having any cats that enjoy being around him.

We will get him to the vet.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And yes, this past Tuesday. It hasn't been a week yet. Which I understand is a very short period of time for a cat to adjust. He's just a bit more sluggish than I would have expected.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he just needs more time to adjust.. he has had major changes
Going from I'm assuming a home to a shelter
Then being at the shelter for however long which that in its self is stressful for any kitty
Then going from the shelter to your home..
All of these changes are major especially at only 3 months old. He needs to adjust and feel safe. I think this will take him a little bit. I think you should have him seen by a vet. Just because he needs to become established with a vet. Also he aill need to be neutered if he isnt yet and just to make sure he is healthy.
I personally like the jackson galaxy method of introductions which honestly is kind of a normal introduction process for cats.
If you notice any of the cats getting a little rough you could try playing with them until they are tired with jackson galaxy boil and simmer technique which I can say from experience it works wonders to wear out a cat.

I hope all goes well and the little one gets more comfortable with time. I hope when he has his vet visit everything checks out great.

Please keep us posted.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, some kittens can take about a week to adjust so it could easily be that. Or he could have a little virus or something similar.

Long term, your most likely going to have friendship there since the two residents are so young. Nothing screwed up. Problems are possible, some introduction is good, but in general the introduction process doesn't need to be a super-serious thing when the resident cat(s) are under 2.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, some kittens can take about a week to adjust so it could easily be that. Or he could have a little virus or something similar.

Long term, your most likely going to have friendship there since the two residents are so young. Nothing screwed up. Problems are possible, some introduction is good, but in general the introduction process doesn't need to be a super-serious thing when the resident cat(s) are under 2.
I was hoping you would respond Art. You really helped us out when we first got the two residents!

This morning, Dobie the kitten, came out of his room and butted heads with the resident male Rogue and rubbed up against him. Rogue sat there and looked at him. No reaction. Rogue has always been a very out going cat and we expected him to at least tolerate a kitten, which he has done.

Penny is more high strung and not very social. My son and I are her people and she is really only social with us. She hisses at the kitten and growls. She has chased him twice. No fur flying or blood. Seems more like a "know your place" behavior. I think long term they will be fine and Penny will at least learn to tolerate Dobie.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think he just needs more time to adjust.. he has had major changes
Going from I'm assuming a home to a shelter
Then being at the shelter for however long which that in its self is stressful for any kitty
Then going from the shelter to your home..
All of these changes are major especially at only 3 months old. He needs to adjust and feel safe. I think this will take him a little bit. I think you should have him seen by a vet. Just because he needs to become established with a vet. Also he aill need to be neutered if he isnt yet and just to make sure he is healthy.
I personally like the jackson galaxy method of introductions which honestly is kind of a normal introduction process for cats.
If you notice any of the cats getting a little rough you could try playing with them until they are tired with jackson galaxy boil and simmer technique which I can say from experience it works wonders to wear out a cat.

I hope all goes well and the little one gets more comfortable with time. I hope when he has his vet visit everything checks out great.

Please keep us posted.
The shelter said they were strays, so may not have had a "home" per se. He is neutered and we are planning on a vet appointment. I appreciate your comment. Thank you!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelter said they were strays, so may not have had a "home" per se. He is neutered and we are planning on a vet appointment. I appreciate your comment. Thank you!
Oh ok.. I really do think it is just going to take some time for him to settle in. Also I apologize I see a response to furballsmom where you had said he is neutered and an appointment is being set

He is a very lucky little boy. I think he will do great with a little more time. Thank you for adopting this little guy. And please keep us posted on their progress.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dobbie has ear mites and an upper respiratory infection. The vet thinks the upper respiratory stuff is viral and that we have to let it run its course. Ear mite treatment has begun for all three cats in the house just in case.

He is still very sluggish and is obviously not feeling well. I'm hoping he starts to feel better soon. I don't think this is helping his relationship with penny and rogue.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New kitten having an illness or parasite seems to happen quite a lot, and yes, it does seem to have a major impact on . . . everything. Good to know your little one will likely perk right up soon.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF his nose gets stuffy whiIe this virus is resoIving itseIf, and he doesn't want to eat (if they can't smeII it, they won"t eat it), you can take him in the bathroom, cIose the door, turn the shower on fuII hot and sit in there with him whiIe the steam does its work. It heIps cIear cIogged noses very niceIy. I've done that with stuffy cats, and with stuffy kids. Works on both.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IF his nose gets stuffy whiIe this virus is resoIving itseIf, and he doesn't want to eat (if they can't smeII it, they won"t eat it), you can take him in the bathroom, cIose the door, turn the shower on fuII hot and sit in there with him whiIe the steam does its work. It heIps cIear cIogged noses very niceIy. I've done that with stuffy cats, and with stuffy kids. Works on both.
Thank you for the advice! He is still eating but he is also blowing snot bubbles lol poor little guy is not feeling well at all. Hopefully he starts to feel better soon.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we have had Dobby for about 3 weeks now. He is on antibiotics and eye cream but is feeling much better. He gets along well with Rogue our resident male. They greet each other and there is no hissing or swatting.

Penny, our resident female, still hisses and swats at him. She doesn't ever use her claws and she seems to be getting more comfortable with him. She has always been more shy and reserved than rogue. I'm just hoping it's not much longer before she accepts him and there isn't any more hissing, growling, or swatting.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This update sounds amazing 😍!
Things are going well. I installed cat shelves in our living room over the labor day weekend and Penny has really taken to those. Dobby is feeling much better and he also uses the shelves. He is so much more energetic and fun now. Running and jumping when we play with them. I'm glad he is feeling better.

Penny still hisses, growls, and swats at Dobby. She isn't using claws and there has been no blood or fur flying. Dobby runs from her and then comes right back. I'm not worried about this as I think if she really wanted to hurt him she would have by now. Hopefully she calms down around him soon.