2 older kittens not affectionate at all...

bellebud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This past November, we adopted 2 female kittens from the humane society.  They didn't have any real info on the kittens.  They guessed they were 3 months and 4 months old (not sisters).  They were in the same kitten group when we picked them out (so they were like litter mates).  

They adore each other, but only tolerate us humans (myself, hubby, 10yo + 12yo kids), and 2 dogs.  I have to say, having had a wonderful cat when I was growing up, I'm really disappointed that they don't play w/ any of us, or show any affection, etc.  Once in a while, in the middle of the night, one of them wakes me up for scratches and purrs for about 15 minutes.  I try to wake up and scratch her, because I'll take any affection I can get from them, and I'm hoping it helps them to bond to me.  

Is there anything we can do to let the cats know we're their family??  My sister-in-law suggested I crate them in a large cage to try to 'tame' them a bit, but I'd feel bad doing that.  They're indoor-outdoor cats.  We have a doggy door and a fenced yard for the dogs, and it's impossible to keep the cats in.  Of course they climb the fence, but they do seem to mainly stay close to it on the outside.  When I go outside to throw a ball to the dogs, one of the cats always comes and sort of runs after the ball too (but still won't come too close to me).  She'll also follow me around the yard, but always stays about 20' away from me.  If I try to go in her direction, she runs.  It's sad!  

In the house, they do lay down near us in 'their' spots (I have several blankets on chairs for them, cat beds all around, etc), but they won't lay with any of us, and if we pet them while they're laying down, they'll tolerate it a little, then want to go away.  I always pet them for a minute, and leave as soon as they seem like they've enough.  

Any tips would be very much appreciated!  My kids keep saying they love the cats, but are sooooo sad about how they act towards us.

tia!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ultimately cats will be what they want to be.  They are not all super-affectionate lap cats, and some will treat people with disdain whatever you do.

However, getting them to associate you with nice things might help.  Spending time playing with them, indoors, with whatever toys they really like might help and so might hand-feeding them treats.  I don't think crating them will help at all - I suspect they will be very unhappy and will rush out as soon as they can.

And since they are indoor - outdoor - are they chipped?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellebud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for the tips.  I will definitely try the hand feeding treats.  And no, they're not chipped (the dogs are).  Thank you for bringing that up, I honestly hadn't thought about it.  I will call the vet today for that.