2 of my current foster babies are true abinos, I'm pretty worried........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I so wish I lived closer, but you know that already and it doesn't help.  You are doing everything you can, and way more than anyone could expect or probably imagine so keep reminding yourself of this.  

Believe me, I SO wish you did too, I can sure use some help! haha

Hi @catwoman707   I was just wondering.....does the humane society not have people themselves to feed these kittens, or is it because it has to be around the clock feeding, and may be they cannot provide that there? ( I really don't know the difference between rescues, shelters and humane societies as far as how they run things).
Many do, this hs near me is run rather poorly, and badly in need of some rules/guidelines/protocols, but they won't hire me! Probably because they know how I would turn that place upside down! 

Overhaul every single worker, get the slouches outta there, and keep those who have compassion for the animals and understand what it is a humane society is supposed to stand for.  

Last fall I had a meeting with the hs's pres and vice pres of the board, to run down so many things that are in need of rehab, why I would be leaving there and all the workers love when I go because I'm teaching them this and that, anyway so as I'm leaving I tell the mgr there is one little girl who is not well and is very dehydrated and in need of fluids, and a young litter of cuties who were old enough to be weaned but clueless on how to eat from a dish, and when I go back 2 days later and asked how they were doing, they had all died. The entire litter of kits and the little dehydrated girl who wasn't ever given fluids.

WTH is THAT?! 

Anyway, so you get my point. So their latest thing is no kittens under 6 weeks old allowed to stay there.

Which means when they come in, they call me, and have no other fosters. When I ask why I was told that last year they had a few but would take the kittens to the vet w/out authorization, etc etc  If I can't take anymore, they are sent to the county shelter and euthanized.

It's lame crap and is so upsetting to me, if I could tell you all what went on today, just un-be-lievable!  

I mean remember I have my own rescue group to handle/manage without the hs loading me up with kids they should have fostered out. But I take them because it's about the cats.

I am now completely full of bottle babies and unable to take anymore. This is what happened today. I spent the entire afternoon and evening dealing with this, but I did, drove them to an awesome feeder several towns over. I get almost all the way there and mgr of hs calls me and said wait! I forgot one, he was left behind in the kitten warmer! WHAT??!  Now I don't know if she took him home with her so he can make it or what........

Then I got this homeless man needing help with 6 kittens and 2 adults he saved from this dog who had already killed 2 kittens and one mama cat. How sad is that?! About 5 other situations pleading for help too but this is not a venting thread!! haha yeah okay :)

Long day today.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, I don't know how you do what you do, and seeing ways the situation could improve but not being able to do anything about it must make it even harder.  There must be an awful lot of graeful cats around where you are who you have managed to help so try and focus on them, and the precious little ones that are playing and in your care right now.

I am being snuggled by Mouse right now and thinking once more what a lucky and protected life he has had so far.  If only more cats in this world were so lucky, and as confident as he is,  You are making a difference.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Honestly, I don't know how you do what you do, and seeing ways the situation could improve but not being able to do anything about it must make it even harder.  There must be an awful lot of graeful cats around where you are who you have managed to help so try and focus on them, and the precious little ones that are playing and in your care right now.

I am being snuggled by Mouse right now and thinking once more what a lucky and protected life he has had so far.  If only more cats in this world were so lucky, and as confident as he is,  You are making a difference.
Thank you for saying. I know I am, one cat at a time. Did I mention about 2 weeks ago, myself and a lady who started Friends of Ferals in another county than mine, we set out to pull some of my ferals in the colonies I tnr'd and have cared for?

The main focus I was after was that awful spot I think I've mentioned in the past about, where it stinks badly, is very trashy and the cats are even sometimes used as moving targets for thugs?

I am still floating on the huge success with that one, pulled 21 from there over 3 trapping missions, not one cat is left there now. The biggest part of this is? Not one is going back there, ever. All have been fixed/aborted/vaccinated/dewormed/de-flead/antibiotics/teeth pulled/microchipped/felv/fiv tested/rabies shot, and are being relocated in several places, wide open, safe properties, wineries, huge mansion estates, horse ranches, etc.?

I can't begin to explain the relief and fulfillment it gives me for them. That guilt I felt each time I fed and drove away is gone. They will have green grass that they never had, no cars, nothing bad anymore in their sad lives prior. 

Plus we pulled 3 others who were living near a fwy entrance at a Jack in the Box parking lot a couple nights ago who are being relocated as well.

Eliminated 2 of my feeding spots from my route. Whew. Couldn't be happier for all the kitties. All females were prego too. This is a good example of how I had to come to terms with aborting, it still bothers me, but I just can't allow myself to dwell on it. It's what needed to be. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eliminated 2 of my feeding spots from my route. Whew. Couldn't be happier for all the kitties. All females were prego too. This is a good example of how I had to come to terms with aborting, it still bothers me, but I just can't allow myself to dwell on it. It's what needed to be. 
You certainly are a saint and angel to all those kitties. Amazing what you are accomplishing - just mind blowing effort on your part and you just keep going. Incredible. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I get the pain in our hearts too over those spay aborts - but I also look at it this way and try to convince myself of this; that those dear little unborn babies are actually being saved from a more treacherous, dangerous life being born God knows where outside. Saving them from a life of starvation, fighting to survive, disease and suffering. It IS what needs to be done, sad as it is. Just sucks and I wish people in the world as a whole could understand the concept of JUST GETTING YOUR CAT FIXED from the start. :sigh: I always say prayers for the kitties out there at night when I go to bed. I know there is suffering day and night, every minute of the day and night, because of stupid people. It feels good, though, to help just one cat because to that one cat, it means the world to him/her.

KEEP ON TRUCKIN', girl. :soldier: Your the best !!! :lovegrin: :hugs:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so very much, from the bottom of my heart.

In my last post above, I mentioned also trapping and eliminating cats at Jack in the Box as well?

Well.......apparently Jack in the Box started putting D-con out for controlling rodents. The one cat who was semi friendly there, an orange and white boy, must have ingested a poisoned rodent.

He was neutered and while being transported back for recovering, literally bled out. There was a big puddle under his trap, and unable to stop it.

He had to be euthanized :(

Another one, an all black tailless teenager who I thought was a boy, was a pregnant girl, and had an extremely infected, pus filled uterus. The vet commented he had NEVER in all his years seen any cases as bad as hers, ever. He said she didn't have 1 more week to live as it would have killed her.

She was able to be saved, but how unreal......

So to sum it up, trapping them, trying to give them a better life, actually took one cat's life, and saved another one's.

Just never know.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Guessing if not trapped both these cats would have lost their lives so really you saved one from more pain and saved the other from more pain and their life at the same time as giving them the chance of a safer and healthier future.

Both positive outcomes in the circumstances.  I think you are being hard on yourself and perhaps trying not to think about some of the hardships these cats are living through.    

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Guessing if not trapped both these cats would have lost their lives so really you saved one from more pain and saved the other from more pain and their life at the same time as giving them the chance of a safer and healthier future.

Both positive outcomes in the circumstances.  I think you are being hard on yourself and perhaps trying not to think about some of the hardships these cats are living through.    
I know, and I appreciate your saying so too.

I mean if I hadn't neutered the one guy WHEN I did, the d-com may have worked out of his system, but of course, who knew that would be in him at that time.

So, while I don't blame myself so much, it was something out of my control, I still feel very sad for him, sorry that it happened.

It's just bad, such a sad life for them all. I wish I could help more out there, I really do.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

It's just bad, such a sad life for them all. I wish I could help more out there, I really do.
  Lisa, you do SO MUCH....you save SO MANY...you are much too hard on yourself
.  Now go play with those kitties and hopefully that will cheer you up some, just looking at their cute little selves

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

:hugs:   Lisa, you do SO MUCH....you save SO MANY...you are much too hard on yourself :nono: .  Now go play with those kitties and hopefully that will cheer you up some, just looking at their cute little selves :)
I have to agree, sweetie. Love the ones you can and pray for the ones that have left and then give yourself a big GIANT SELFIE HUG :lol3: for all you have done and are doing. :grphug:

I completely understand how you feel. I think about all of the kitties that are not getting the help and that weighs on me heavily. We just want so badly to do more, to save more, whether that be by giving them a peaceful and dignified passing to the bridge and ending their inevitable suffering OR having the opposite outcome and they go on to live happily to see another day and on the road to recovery.

The experience with the cats at the Jack in the Box solidifies my belief in what we do. To me, either way, saving them to live another day or releasing them from their suffering, is still the same. If it is the latter, I still see it as "saving" them from an otherwise very painful, torturous death all alone outside. And, that is what I think you and I worry about the most - the ones we can't get to and we know they are out there. A hard, depressing reality in this "business" of kitty rescue. :shame:

KEEP ON TRUCKIN' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lovegrin2: :hugs:

Last edited: