2 mth old, still not drinking water

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While many cats do prefer water from a fountain, some do not. So I advise that if you're going to try a fountain, get it from someplace that will allow easy returns if the product has been opened and used. I tried a fountain with my kitty once. She stared at it for a couple hours and did not know what to make of it. After the first few hours she decided that it wasn't going to shoot poison darts at her or anything, but still did not know what to make of it beyond that. So she ignored it. After a couple weeks of it constantly running and my trying to show her what to do, I returned it.

anges8375

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok so my kitten was the same way, I got her at 2 1/2 weeks old, of course the girl who was in a hurry to sell her off to me said she was closer to 5 weeks but nevertheless when I got her it was and has been a learning experience almist daily. What I realized is, cats especially kittens hsve a hard time telling waters even in the bowl, clear metal, glass, doesn't matter. Water is clear and she hasnt learned to do the paw dip yet. Heres what I had to do, do you know those rubber squeegee things the doctor gives you wen you have a baby, usually they are teal, but mines red. You are supposed to use to clean babies nose with it. Well I had to use this device as a bottle because the bottle the vet gave me, kitkat wouldnt touch it. But the squeegee I used first as a bottle for her formula then to give her water. If you can purchase your kitten either type a or b kitten kmf formula, you can add just enough to her bowl of water to change the color from clear to foggy white. Then she can smell the hit of milk or see it. The thing I did later was I would pop an omega 3 vitamin and squeeze a drop or two in her water, she loves the salmon taste. But while she is still young the milk trick may be better in more ways than one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She 3 months old now...and finally drinking water.she has very good eyes...thank you everyone for suggestions. She love to go to our wet washroom.