2 month old with Pan leuk - at a loss

jessrexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted to shelter cats this past Saturday, and by Saturday evening we noticed she wasn't as lively as we are used to. Took her to the vets Sunday as a last case and she tested postive for feline panleukopenia. Sent my husband and the cat home with very little info and told us to take them both the the ER to have the other tested. Really poor service, entirely different post. My husband and I knew NOTHING about this virus. He said the kitten would die and that was it. So we didn't take them to the ER, because we thought we had a death sentence, and there was not point.
That night, the sick one started eating. Definitely lethargic, foamy spit up here and there. No diarrhea. Not anemic per the vet exam, gums nice and pink.
Took her to a different vet who was more hopeful. We asked straight out if we should put her down, and she said at this point she thinks she has a chance. No fever, eating a bit, still no diarrhea. The other one pan leuk test was negative. Plan was to treat both with sub q fluids and tamiflu.
The healthy one still seems ok, but 3 days later I feel like I am just eating for the sick one to "declare" herself. She is still so lethargic, but doesn't seem uncomfortable. Eating little amounts, but I think I need to try to force it more. Still no fever or low temp. Gums still pink.
We had a dog with parvo who went from healthy to almost dead in hours, then turned around really quick. I know it's only three days, but we are just status quo.
I guess I would just like insight to people who have been through this. Also if I start syringe feeding, is there a guideline of how much/how often.
Also, I don't really want to put her down obviously. There is no outward distress, but at what point?
How long will this go on?
Thanks, just so upsetting. We waited 18 months to get a new cat after our last one died suddenly at the age of 6 from cancer. My family was devestated. My four year olds first question when we brought the cats home was if they were going to heaven with our other one :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessrexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, any thoughts on nutrical? The vet recommended that along with the critical care food

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you had a dog with Parvo you understand the symptoms of the disease, the two viruses are closely related.  It is true that most young kittens don't survive the virus but not all young kittens get the virus full on.  They can still have some residual immunity from the mother.  Also many shelters automatically begin the series of shots for the virus giving a start to building immunity.  The main thing to watch for is dehydration.  Watering down wet food and syringe feeding would be good.  Small frequent meals will help because it's easier for her to handle.  Use the side of the mouth and go very slow, just a bit at a time to give her a chance to swallow it.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all I want to say how sorry I am that your family is going through this.

This summer was the second time since starting my cat rescue group that I have had panleuk come to my cat room...........

I feel like a walking encyclopedia on panleuk, unfortunately.

I'm really wanting to ask this first thing, what age are they, are they siblings, and did the shelter vaccinate, and if so, when?

As soon as I hear these things I will tell you whatever you want to know about this ugly virus.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also you need to contact the shelter immediately so they know!!

This can save many lives there, so please asap 

nick92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi sorry to hear about your cat :( I went through this about 4 years ago, my cat had a litter of kittens and some of them just disappeared, we were left with two and one morning found one of them dead and the other one was on his way out just out of the blue. We took him to the vets straight away and he was diagnosed with Pan Leuk, the vet said it probably got the whole litter, again he would of been about the same age as your kitten. The vet gave him an injection but said the prognosis was poor. He did advise however that I give a glucose solution via syringe every 4 hours. I got powdered glucose from the chemist and mixed it with water and fed him religiously with the syringe and he did make a full recovery! Sorry this isn't much help! Hope he gets better xx

jessrexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The shelter knows and assured me they have strict protocols on this type of virus, and they were in bit of a panic. The director of the shelter has spoken with my husband. Offered to take them back - but I just couldn't. I know they would just put them down without any chance.
They are 2 months roughly, the only 2 in the shelter from their litter. The shelter vaccinated 2 days before we got them ( so Thursday?) adopted them Saturday.
Connie ( healthy one) is still acting fine. No vomit. Maintaining weight, although not putting much on sadly. Eating, drinking water, spunky.
Alex (panleuk) is still eating, but no energy. It's heartbreaking. I just keep holding out hope even though I know the odds. I think because they said our dog was going to die, but ended up being ok.
Sigh, this is so tough

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it is so sad He is still eating which is a good sign. Not really much you can do besides keeping kitty from getting dehydrated Hopefully the shelter is doing all they can to stop it from spreading.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The shelter knows and assured me they have strict protocols on this type of virus, and they were in bit of a panic. The director of the shelter has spoken with my husband. Offered to take them back - but I just couldn't. I know they would just put them down without any chance.
They are 2 months roughly, the only 2 in the shelter from their litter. The shelter vaccinated 2 days before we got them ( so Thursday?) adopted them Saturday.
Connie ( healthy one) is still acting fine. No vomit. Maintaining weight, although not putting much on sadly. Eating, drinking water, spunky.
Alex (panleuk) is still eating, but no energy. It's heartbreaking. I just keep holding out hope even though I know the odds. I think because they said our dog was going to die, but ended up being ok.
Sigh, this is so tough
Yes, shelters must have some serious/strict protocols, correct, or imagine how disastrous it could be.

So here is what I want to say.

Depending on how long they were at the shelter, they may have come in contact with the virus prior to going there.

The quarrantine period is often 2 weeks, but the panleuk this year has a longer transitioning rate of more like 3 weeks.

So once quarrantined and found no issues, they would be fixed, vaccinated and put up for adoption.

There-in lies the problem for the shelter. Which is why I wanted to be sure they knew about your kitten.

Now, seeing as they are sibs, unfortunately it is without a doubt in my mind that the sib is going to get sick as well. Yes, it can and does stagger in kittens, I only want to tell you this so you don't feel devastated when suddenly the healthy kitten shows signs.

It's human nature to hold out hope that you can save them, but as you said, just realize the odds. Panleuk is a sneaky, silent destroyer, and way before you begin to see the signs, it is working on destroying their inner works, until it hits their behavior, appetite, and when the vomiting comes, the kitten is infact suffering.

Imagine what it must take for a young kitten's spunky playful behavior to come to a stop. Lethargic, feeling just awful.

Once the vomiting starts, it's not usually more than a few days, maybe up to 4 days even, especially when there has been some supportive care, but an 8 week old kitten is not strong enough to pull through this.

I'm very sorry to say that too, believe me, I know all too well how desperately you want to believe they can.

Yes, occasionally there is a survivor, but it is with constant sub-q's given, hospitalized usually, IV for nutrition, and constant monitoring. I don't mean that with this they will make it either, as even so, most still will die.

I know you want to continue hoping and caring for them, so understand it is fluids that helps them. Sub-q fluids. This is the number one biggest and most important thing, keeping them rediculously hydrated.

I also want to say that the test for panleuk is actually designed for dogs/parvo. While this is what is used, and have NO false positives, there are most definitely false negatives.

I had a 4 month old kitten years back who I had tested and it was negative, I was thrilled, he passed the next day, was retested and it was positive.

Also the test doesn't always show positive until it is in a more advanced state in their system.

Myself, being in rescue, this last few months of losing so many to this virus, I got to the point of taking each kitten in to be euthanized as soon as I saw them stop eating, looking lethargic and vomiting.

It was very hard to come to this reality for me, but I understand now truly, panleuk is fighting basically a losing battle. It's just so big and bad.

Do you also understand now that it is in your home? It is a very strong, hearty, long living virus, so you must not bring any unvaccinated kittens or adult cats to your home or in contact with your clothes, etc at all.

For at least 18 months.

If you decided to get more kittens, they must have had at least 2 consecutive kitten vaccines, and it be at least 3-5 days later, I prefer a week before bringing them home.

You certainly don't want to go through this again, it is unforgettable.

I am so sorry to put this info out there like I am, but it's me. I believe in telling it the way I see it. I have many years of experience, and more with panleuk than I want to say, my rescue group is fairly large, so although it has only been at my home in my cat room twice ever, it has been in some of my fosters homes too throughout the years.

It is the most dreaded virus of all for shelters and rescues.

jessrexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I do understand the deadly nature and that the odds are very much against me. I also understand that my house is infested. I was told by the shelter they wouldn't adopt any animals out to us for at least 6 months - but honestly, if these cats go, I may get a dog. I was so devastated by the sudden loss of my last cat. If these cats die, I will feel like maybe it's time to switch things up. And yes, I know dogs get sick too.
Thank you for all of your input. I understand why you would go straight to putting them down. That being said, I have not only myself grown attached - but a four year old who literally sobbed for hours when she found out they were sick. I just can't give up yet.
So....on to update. Day 5 - Connie as spunky as ever. Still eating. Drinking water. No vomits, diarrhea, etc. still getting tamiflu. Alex - eating, although syringe feeding as well. Started giving nutrical last night. Still getting SQ fluids and tamiflu. No spunk, but is out of hiding.
So, I know it's a death sentence, but I am just not ready to give up on them yet

jessrexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alex came out this morning purring and looking a little more peppy. She ate some wet food then some boiled chicken I minced up. Little miracles
I am going to keep logging things just in case this goes well. I found it helpful to scroll through posts, both good and bad, to see other experiences.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Best of luck to you!  I have never had a cat with this particular disease but we did had a puppy that got parvo.  She went through quite a battle and had to stay at the vet's office for several days but she recovered.  I hope you have similar luck.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had never heard of giving Tamiflu.  Now that you mention it, that does make sense, an antiviral of some sort would be the one medication that might help.  I understand you wanting to try.  I nursed a kitty through fatty liver which many people consider a lost cause.  If I had known more about it at the time I might have second guessed trying.  

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY for Alex, eating on her own!  We are all rooting for you, every one here wants to see those kittens make it. Your new vet is a gem, training you in supportive care and at least willing to say that at the point she saw them, they had a chance.  Connie is still showing no symptoms which is wonderful.  She's getting the Tamiflu too. Since they did get the vaccine two days before you got them, I would think they would both test positive just because of that.  My knowledge could be wrong, but I thought the vaccine itself causes the test to show positive so is not valid except in unvaccinated cats.  Interesting you should have one testing positive and one testing negative.  The combination of having some immunity from the mother cat, since they were not orphans, and having gotten a vaccine even a few days earlier may give them just the edge they need to get through this.  I had never heard of using Tamiflu either and think that's an excellent idea.  If these two continue to recover, you should probably send a copy of the entire treatment record to the first vet, not to "beat him up" or "make him wrong," but in hopes that he will learn something new, find a ray of hope where it is warranted, and perhaps be more helpful if another kitten like Alex comes his way in the future.  Life often gives us second chances to do the right thing after we have messed up the first time.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is great news!!

I know it gives you that feeling of continuing to be hopeful, and that is big :)

Regardless of the outcome, at least she is feeling better and life isn't feeling too terrible today :)

We are all hoping for her. 

jessrexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for asking! Connie is eating like a piggy! And playing with the kids. Alex ate well for her, if you know what I mean. Going to hold on syringe feed for now so I don't make her barf! She let me pet her which again - little miracles!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This really sounds good.  I think your kitty didn't get a full on case of it.  There is also the possibility that having just been vaccinated maybe that is what caused the positive on the test.  I know there aren't supposed to be false positives but vaccines can do strange things.  I actually only have first hand experience with parvo in puppies but I know that stuff hits hard and fast.  That doesn't seem to be what's going on here but maybe it's different in kitties.

jessrexx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Day 6 ( adopted cats Last Saturday, sicky by Subday)
Connie is great, playing with the kids. Eating like crazy. Finally putting on weight.
Alex is still eating on her own, but not enough to maintain weight. I started supplementing with syringe feeds. Just letting her take what she wants, then giving additional 5ml of food/water/nutrical. She is still lethargic/ withdrawn but snuggled up to my husband yesterday - little miracles.

Questions for the day
- how to bond with a sick kitten. I try to pet her and talk to her, but I feel like to majority if the time I am having to do mean things to her. She is already withdrawn from being sick - any ideas on how to help with bonding?
- what are good table foods to feed as treats?
Thanks!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nutrical is very good (your vet recommended it) because it contains B vitamins plus glucose to raise her blood sugar plus fat for calories in a very concentrated form. You can give it in small amounts several times a day.   With low blood sugar and not eating much, her energy will be very low anyhow.   If blood sugar gets too low, appetite goes away, plus kitten has no energy. Table treats mine like are chicken cooked on the grill, canned salmon, canned mackerel (just rinse out the extra salt before feeding) and ONE fool is crazy for peanut butter and has been known to run off with half my peanut butter sandwich, but that's odd and rare.