2 month old kitten sneezing and having eye discharge after vaccination

belhene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

My 2 month old kitten had her first vaccine on July 21st (the triple vaccine against feline calicivirus, feline viral rhinotracheitis and feline panleukopenia). After some days of sneezing and eye discharge, we got worried and took her to the vet's again for a checkup. She said those were side-effects of the vaccine and that they would be gone in a week. But she is still sneezing two or three times a day (sometimes she's not even near somewhere dusty where it would be normal; it happens in random places of the house), although her eyes got better. She's getting revaccinated on August 20th, as it was the first time she'd been vaccinated and it requires a second shot.

Have you experienced anything similar? Do you think I should take her to the vet before the 20th or should I wait? I don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belhene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that she is not lethargic at all - she is quite active and playful; her behaviour hasn't changed since she had her shot. 

zoe zoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By no means am I a doctor but in my experience I would definitely head back to the vet. I'm going through something with my now 3 mo old kitten that started exactly like you stated. A few sneezes, slight eye discharge (although not green and no puss) active and still eating. Our vet initially told us to wait it out and after 4 days my kitty got so bad she ended up with pneumonia and in an oxygen cage for 4 days! That was 2 weeks ago and we're still not out of the woods. I truly believe that had I been more persistent with my vet to start antibiotics when her symptoms first started I wouldn't be going through this major ordeal today. We adopted our kitten from a shelter which exposes the animals to a ton of bacteria and viruses. Unfortunately at such a young age 2-3mo old kittens dont have the immune system to fight off infections without some extra help.

My suggestion for what it's worth...go to the vet soon. It's better to be safe than sorry. You know your previous kitty better than any vet. If your gut tells you something is off stick to that feeling until you get answers. I'll send my prayers to your baby! Hope she feels better soon!! [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji][emoji]128522[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belhene

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll have to follow my hunch and take her today. The thing is I'm a bit obsessive and I always take them for the slightest thing I notice, lol. Better safe than sorry, I suppose. When my now 2-year-old was 6 months old, I noticed 2 of her breasts were swollen and kind of protruding so I thought they could be tumors. As it turned out, she was just reaching sexual maturity (and it was time to spay her) :p