2 Month Old Adopted Stray, Unsure About Biting?

kittylover385

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know that title may have been confusing, but let me further explain. I recently (at the time creating this post, just about a few days ago) adopted a 2 month old kitten at an animal shelter. They said she was found as a stray, and as far as I know she has every possible vaccination for her age. She’s been neustured, she’s an adorable little calico. But she hasn’t been vaccinated with the rabies vaccine because she is too young, should I worry about this? She’s a very playful kitty, she’s an only kitty but I have two dogs. They’re fully grown, small-medium sized dogs and my kitten loves playing with them. She plays rough sometimes with me though, she scratches and bite my arms. And this kind of worries me, if she were to bite me and I bled, should I worry? She could have been exposed to some sort of rabies disease before she was picked up by the shelter but who knows? We plan on getting her vaccinated as soon as possible but the thought of her playing to hard and biting me, kind of scares me. She’s an indoor cat and has no possible way of getting outside.

(Forgot to mention that the spots she scratched and bit me in are very itchy, but my past cat was kind of like that too? She was fully vaccination)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No worries! She's had her vaccines except rabies, which is usually recommended at 6 months.

Your dogs are up-to-date, and kitten does not go outside.

There really is nothing to worry about in domestic animals who are vaccinated and are not exposed to wildlife. :)

alphakitty

Beeqie - Sly Kitty - 2017
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a male kitty, are you certain that its a calico? As for worrying about the biting, train the kitty by making a sound when it bites you and causes you pain. The little guy is in the learning phase of its brain development, its still a kitten. Teach it acceptable limits now, but do so with sounds, yelling only instills fear while causing the kitty to miss the point of the yelling. And NEVER HIT THEM..NEVER!! Or God and me will be pi.ssed off along with a whole bunch of other kitty people if they learn of it. I like using the Bruce Willis 'ehhh' sound and then I pull my appendage back and change from a playful voice to a pained voice after doing the 'ehhh' sound, 'Oh that hurt, move your eyebrows down while looking at him, lower the tone volume of your voice and drawback a little ways. These are all signals that the kitty will remember as being negative without harming it emotionally. Cats are amazing, if you work with them they will work with you.

Regarding scratching that can be a different issue, because, kitties use the litter box and therefore, there will be urine and feces bacteria on the claws. If the scratch breaks the skin and bleeds, first and again, train the kitty, but do so very gently, with sounds and drawback, but go wash the bleeding scratch and put some ointment on it. Mecurochrome was always my favorite but the Johnson & Johnson (a family company) put their competition out of business by lobbying the US Congress/FDA (those criminals) that mecurachrome has mercury in it!! And causing the substance to be banned in the US. While it does have some mercury in it, it is not injested. So, don't use J&J equivalent, they are unAmerican creeps, in my opinion. Iodine is ok, though its not as good an antiseptic. However zinc ointment, while not an antiseptic per se, it is excellent for quickly healing abrasions, cuts, scratches, etc. In Zicam the active ingredient is zinc.

Best Wishes for All

AlphaKitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover385

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! And yes, I know she’s a female, I looked back at my post and realized I said she was neautered, but she was spayed lol. And she is a calico, she’s very pretty.