2 Month Kitten Wants His Mom

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Catsite,

It has been long time since I visited this site as was busy with life. Hope all the members and their cute cats are doing well.

Few months back a stray cat started visiting my house and I used to feed her. She gave birth to a baby and brought him to my home. I gave them shelter and food. All was well for a week and she used to also nurse him. But after than she left him and didn't accepted him any more. She comes to the house only to eat but attacks the kitten. I think she is pregnant again and that is the reason.

Now the kitten meows when he sees his mother and as I have closed the entrance doors of the house so that his mom doesn't come and hit him. The mom comes but she sees from outside and I kept the food bowl for her outside the door.

The kitten eats less, I am giving him formula, boiled mashed chicken and kitten wet food. But he eats very very less and whines for his mom. He has sometimes loose stools every alternative days and it seems he has a bit fever also.

I asked the vet and started given him medicines now. But the problem now i am facing is that he rushes to the door and meows for his mom. The mom cat comes only twice a day but her smell is there and he wants to go out which I do not want. Many times I have shoo away the mom so that she doesn't come and kitten is settled. But he only wants mom.

Also doesn't want to eat anything. Any advise. What should i feed him so that his stomach is not upset, and also any home remedy for fever (because he also doesn't want to take medicine, half of it he spills out). I had such cats earlier also as wherever i go cats follow me but this kitten is very sensitive to food.

Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Can you try kitten glop? There are recipes on the internet.
Can you try goat milk?
You could also take a look at this website; the kitten lady Saving Kittens
Can you trap mom and get her to the vet, in case she isn't pregnant so she can be spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much Furballsmom..have to look for goat milk in the city. I also want the cat to be spayed because kittens end up crying and many die. But she is pregnant because today also she came for food in the morning and her nipples were dark. Her tummy too was heavy.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
KRM (kitten replacement milk) is also something to look into as it has calories for him when he isn't really eating.

When you're giving medicine, can you try wrapping him in a towel so he wont wiggle as much? Are you giving a liquid (I think so, you said spills out, right?)? If so, can you angle him to where you can get it to the back of his throat with the syringe?

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mikameek. Yes you are true the medicine is liquid. There are three medicines all liquid form. 1 ml each to be given. He wiggles that's right as the med is bitter because it smells bitter. There are droppers and so I fill the 1ml dropper, take him on my lap and the cute part is he closes his eyes and puts his front paw in front saying "No this I don't want"... I wil wrap in towel and try. Will get the KRM and see. He just wants to run away from house and he thinks he can find his mom. But he is innocent, cruel world outside will kill him. Trying my best giving him toys and talking to him, picking him up on my lap and walking with him around the house.

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking him in, he's a lucky baby.
For liquid medicine, going being the back teeth with the syringe works pretty well. (That and being wrapped in a towel so he can't squirm so much) Try distracting him from the door with play and treats if you can. I would think a two month old kitten would be able to eat solid foods, but some are a bit more slowly weaned. You can leave a dish of dry kitten food out for him to see if he'll eat that on his own terms. Keep trying with the kitten formula.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Melontine. I give him solid food, boiled mashed chicken with soup and he only takes a bite of it that too after much of requesting and praising him. I also give wet tuna kitten food but he never looks at that. I also gave him yoghurt for two days mixed with water as that works as a probiotic and he loved it and that did stopped his loose stools in a day. But too much yoghurt is also not good to such a lil fellow. Today after furballsmom shared the link saving kittens , I got the idea from there and I tried egg yolk mixed with formula and he lapped it up all. I have named him Mishtu means sweet.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks furballsmom. I am very tired and sleepy. Whole night he kept me awake crying, meowing and rushing to every door and windows. God has made an awesome relation called mom be it humans or animals. When I pick him up and lie down with him all curled up in bed then he thinks I am his mom also. He tugs inside me meowing slowly and goes to sleep.