2 Kittens With Sensitive Tummies.

liz35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had one kitten for 2 months and the other for 2 weeks. The one I have had for longer has always had on again off again diarrhea. I treated her with antibiotics a while back just in case it was a parasite. Right now diarrhea is on again with stinky gas. My other kitten that I have had for 2 weeks also has on again off again diarrhea. Right now it is the worst I have seen it and he also started vomiting this evening. He still wants to eat and drink after vomiting and has energy. I currently give them both Purina Pro Plan for kittens. The older kitten has always been on Purina but the new kitten was on hills science for kittens at the humane society and I transitioned him to the new food. Should I try a different food and if so, what kind for this stomach issues? Should I try a probiotic too? Brands would be helpful....that could be purchased at petco or petsmart. One kittens is 3 months and one is 5 months.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina Pro plan is a decent food, i dont think it would cause both of them to have diarrhea or the other problems you mention, its possible but i would look to other issues first.

Have you had them both to the vet? Antibiotics will not do anything for parasites.
They both need a vet visit. Parasites are definitely a possibility, but they need the right medications, a broad spectrum medication to take care of the several different types of parasites it could be.

I think they may also need treated for Giardia, that is often the cause of diarrhea and stinky gas in new kittens. some vets want to test for this before treating, with new kittens and the diarrhea and stink my vet will often treat first. You will need to talk to your vet about it.

This would be my guess anyway, they need a broad spectrum treatment for parasites, and most likely treated for Giardia. I would have a vet visit as soon as possible. Things can go bad for young kittens rather quickly.

Best of luck, and do keep us updated on them! :crossfingers:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I definitely would recommend taking them to the vet. It's always best to rule out any potential underlying medical issues before trying to make any dietary changes. Ask before the appointment if they would like a stool sample. The vet might want to run a fecal float to check for intestinal parasites, and maybe a giardia test as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liz35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sure enough it was Coccidia. Albon was prescribed for both my cats (the one that was tested, and the other just in case). The cat I just got a few weeks ago is the one that was tested. I have read that spores can live for over a year, so do I need to literally steam clean my house from top to bottom? I'm wondering now if this is what caused by 13 year old cat to get sick about a month ago cause use to have to put him down. We spent $1500 running blood work, x-ray, etc, but no stool sample was suggested. They couldn't really find anything wrong except mild colitis, but was in so much pain and not eating, that we put him down. We figured something bigger was going on that they were not able to find. Sadly, I will always wonder now...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liz35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens just finished a 10 day round of Albon. About day 4 on Albon, the watery diarrhea that they were having turned fairly solid and it was looking good. In recent days (about days 7-10 on Albon) the stools are about half and half or about 50% better in my opinion. Definitely not watery like before, but not always solid. I just gave the cats their last dose today. Do they need more meds if they are not 100% at this point and time, or will it take a while for the Coccidia that was in their system to clear out? I steam cleans the entire house and cleaned out the litter boxes to try and avoid re-infection. Thanks for the advice.