2 kittens big gap in between

lisamariet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has just had a planned litter x she gave birth to 1st yesterday at 12pm the 2nd came at 10 am this mornin x I am 80% sure that she has at least another 1 but as yet nothing x this is her 2nd planned litter in 3 years there was an 18 month gap x how long should I wait b4 taking her and babies to vet? I'm worried she's stopped due to feelin insecure x she's in the bathroom and eating/drinking. Seems to be look in after babies well so far x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would give her another day if she is not in distress. You'll want to call your vet to give her an ultrasound and to give you advice after that.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat has just had a planned litter x she gave birth to 1st yesterday at 12pm the 2nd came at 10 am this mornin x I am 80% sure that she has at least another 1 but as yet nothing x this is her 2nd planned litter in 3 years there was an 18 month gap x how long should I wait b4 taking her and babies to vet? I'm worried she's stopped due to feelin insecure x she's in the bathroom and eating/drinking. Seems to be look in after babies well so far x
Agree, if she isnt in no trouble, you can surely wait, be observant of  course.  And make sure is is unstressed etc, as you yoursel hint she is feeling unsafe...

If the vet is very good obstetrician, you can phone and ask of course.   A decent but not so experienced vet may suggest emergency ceasarean, because he can, not because its really necessary....  And if unlucky, it may even be too early...

With humans its partly different, human childs manage premature delivery better.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps.  How are the already delivered kittens doing?   Cats tend to deliver when its every kittens appropriate time, that is why its common with pauses between delivery.  But its not always so elegant, sometimes some are born premature, while the others in their proper time.     We must watch out with the prematures, its always a fight uphill.

The other side of the pendulum, the too long pregnancies, are seldom a problem with cats, unlike humans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisamariet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was 2 weeks premature with 1st litter only had 1 who unfortunately died x this litter she was slightly over x they seemay fine at mo have let mum out for some time to herself will put her away with babies again shortly x

lisamariet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Spoke to my vet this morning x she said as long as she isn't showing any signs of discomfort or straining she should be fine x if I'm concerned they have agreed to see her straight away x at mo she seems settled and is looking after babies well so will monitor her today and see how she gets on x

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Spoke to my vet this morning x she said as long as she isn't showing any signs of discomfort or straining she should be fine x if I'm concerned they have agreed to see her straight away x at mo she seems settled and is looking after babies well so will monitor her today and see how she gets on x
Tx for telling!

Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like all is well for now, and your vet is aware of the situation in case you need to take your cat in. Keep us posted! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

lisamariet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Latest update is she gave birth to a 3rd kit unfortunately it didn't survive the mum is happy enough and eating well and looking after remaining 2 kits x going to keep close eye over next 24 hours tho xxxx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, dear! So sorry it did not make it, but glad mom and the other kittens are doing well. Thank you for the update!

wasim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It happened with my cat
48 hours interval
You should check with your vit to see if there is more kittens inside
Look for the contractions if present for much time
It's maybe a sign of something in there

lisamariet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep she's been closely monitored without disturbing her too much and I'm keeping vet updated too thanks hun x

lisamariet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Latest update she ended up 2 stillborn 2 healthy kits x has been to vet for infection in womb have to wait for her to pass placenta if doesn't she's going in for spaying x been told can take up to week but if she starts to become unwell in mean time she will go on as an emergency x thanks to everyone for their advice x will keep monitoring her in mean time xx

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, poor kitties, poor mama, and poor you. Please consider having her spayed regardless. Obviously if it can wait until the kittens are weaned that's better. It sounds like you may be a breeder, but pregnancy and delivery doesn't sound safe for this cat.

lisamariet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not a breeder hun she's been neutered soon as possible x the reason I let her have this litter was simply so I could keep her kits with her for life my other cat has been neutered as soon as babies are old enough they will also be done x she is being monitored closely and will be done as soon as babies r weaned if not b4 if vet deems it necessary x

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you certain she still has a placenta to deliver? Is she on antibiotics for a uterine infection?

So sorry about the stillborns, and happy that two made it. How are mom and babies doing?

lisamariet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes positive about placenta vet spent over an hour with her yesterday she's had antibiotic injection x both mum and babies seem to bring doing well at moment xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's good news! Very pretty cat! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]