2 half week kitten

cococat02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 and a half week kitten who keeps getting cold I've done the possible to warm him up but won't work. Also this kitten won't eat, we took him to the vet and was left overnight and were told we could pick him up. The reason we took him was because he was getting too cold. 

I do not know what to do I've tried many things to warm him up. Also he poops and pee's normal but last night he peed himself. Any ideas on how I could take care of this little kitten. The mother left 4 kittens alone 2 died sadly but 2 survived the other one is great but this kitten rarely moves. Thank you if you answer back.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have a 2 and a half week kitten who keeps getting cold I've done the possible to warm him up but won't work. Also this kitten won't eat, we took him to the vet and was left overnight and were told we could pick him up. The reason we took him was because he was getting too cold. 

I do not know what to do I've tried many things to warm him up. Also he poops and pee's normal but last night he peed himself. Any ideas on how I could take care of this little kitten. The mother left 4 kittens alone 2 died sadly but 2 survived the other one is great but this kitten rarely moves. Thank you if you answer back.
Hello and welcome! 

This kitten definitely needs to be kept warm. Are you putting a heating pad on low in the nest or a hot water bottle under a towel or blanket? This article is a wealth of knowledge regarding hand rearing kittens

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/hand-rearing-kittens-what-you-need-to-know-to-save-a-newborns-life

Are you stimulating the kitten to get him to eliminate? What are you feeding him? Have you been weighing him to make sure that he is steadily gaining weight? He should be gaining at least 10 grams a day. 

The mama is no longer in the picture at all? Unfortunately, that does happen. Thank you for taking care of these babies. 

Last edited:

ebobskywalker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's probably having some anxiety from loosing his mom and sibs. When you're feeding him, make sure that the temperature of the milk is warm and not cold at all. I'm fostering a three week old kitten and he has a hard time maintaining his body temperature. A heating pad helps, but to perk him up I recommend putting him on your chest and cuddling up under some blankets. Watch a movie or read a book. Just cuddle for a bit. The heat + your heartbeat will help soothe him. 

If he's not warm, he won't eat. Kittens need to be kept extra warm. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cococat02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for responding Kat0121, I tried the water bottle but did not work very well I will try the heating pad instead. I have been feeding him Kmr the one the vet gave us. And yes I am simulating on his areas to poo and pee. After he pee's and poo's he moves a lot. The mother is around but will not look after the kittens that's a reason the first kitten passed away for the reason that she was not around them. And I will also get a scale to weigh him everyday thank you for the information!

cococat02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ebobskywalker thank you for responding also. I will also do that keep him next to my heart , the only way he warms up is by putting him near me after that he gets cold again.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding him every two hours at this point? What about the other kitten who is doing better? Are you keeping them in a nest with raised edges so they stay in and close to the heat source?

Please try to get mom spayed. I don't know if she's your cat, but she can already get pregnant again.

caryamah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You absolutely must feed every two hours if their mother does not :-)

Here is a recipe that will allow you to replace breast milk chate:
4 ounces of milk complexion
4 ounces of boiled water
1 egg yolk
1 c. makers corn syrup
Add 10 drops of baby vitamins from natural products (optional) -

To administer to kittens, trying to find an empty medicine bottle with pipette and made boil before adding the milk replacer.

I hope this will help you :-)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks for responding Kat0121, I tried the water bottle but did not work very well I will try the heating pad instead. I have been feeding him Kmr the one the vet gave us. And yes I am simulating on his areas to poo and pee. After he pee's and poo's he moves a lot. The mother is around but will not look after the kittens that's a reason the first kitten passed away for the reason that she was not around them. And I will also get a scale to weigh him everyday thank you for the information!
How are the babies doing? Did you find a heating pad and scale? If you have good quality KMR that is perfect. Keep feeding that every 2 hours. 

cococat02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

How are the babies doing? Did you find a heating pad and scale? If you have good quality KMR that is perfect. Keep feeding that every 2 hours. 
The Kitten sadly could not make it, just when I was going to get the heating pad he stopped breathing. :( The other kitten is doing great eating and very warm. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So sorry to hear it. The kitten sounded like he was ill and not going to make it. It's good to hear that the other kitten is doing well though!