2 Diabetic cat

countrygalof6cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat ended up being diabetic and I didn't even see that one coming. My first cat ended up with it due to all the steriod shots for her asthma and I was to stupid to google about it and the vet didn't "seem" to know that either. The new vet place told me there is an insulin that costs $400 a month that would cure her. Anyone try this or heard about it? My other cat only lived 11 months from the start and she was only 10 years old. :-( The cat now is at least 15 years old. Guess this one was caused by old age. Giving her insulin twice a day.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
There's no "cure" for diabetes. It is true that the better insulins will cost more, but there's no telling who's diabetes will go into remission and who's won't.
For my diabetic cat, it was recommended that I use Lantus, and we worked our way up to the 2 shot a day dose we are at, after multiple vet visits and blood work. She's not in remission, buy she is much improved.
I actually picked my insulin up at the Walmart pharmacy (try getting a free GoodRx card) and it was somewhere in the $200-$250 range for a 100mL bottle. Each bottle (for us and our dose) lasts about 6 months. So it's really only $400-$500 a year for that.
I hope you are able to find one that works for your cat and your budget.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Diabetes can't be cured. It can only be managed with proper diet and insulin, just like Human diabetics. Some cats can become diet controlled after a brief time on insulin. If a vet claims diabetes can be cured with insulin, find a new vet.

Join the FelineDiabetes.com message board to get more in depth help and advice on caring for your diabetic cats. Diabetes isn't discussed often or in depth here on TCS.

Human insulins such as Lantus and Levimir are expensive. Your vet may be discussing one of those or another one of the newer Human insulins that are off label in cats. There are pet specific insulins such as ProZinc that cost less.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

countrygalof6cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just changed vets to this new one and it is a vet hospital. My old vet of 13 years did not believe me when I told them there was something wrong with her. They did a x-ray and kept telling me it was arthritis. I should have taken her to the hospital on the Dec. 11th. It happened suddenly Dec. 10th and I just took her Dec. 22. The vet is looking into changing the food But with 4 cats it will be hard to find something they can all eat and still have for the Urinary crystal problem. From the info they gave me a diet high in protein is better and low in carbs. It's the same diet I was just given to me by my doctor. Not for diabetic problems. Weight management. All I know about the $400 insulin is he said some cats go into remission. Maybe "cured" was the wrong word for it. My cat is still having a hard time walking. Her back legs half of the time just don't want to hold her up. It's so sad. I'm hoping with time this will get better and she can be back to playing. At least she is good about having the shot done. Wasn't sure she would let me because trying to get liquid meds down her is a fight. Thank you for all the help the website address.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The hind leg problem sounds like diabetic neuropathy. Diabetic cats with this condition walk on their hocks:

1608988018193.png

This can be treated with methylcobalamin. Zobaline is probably the most common brand suggested to use for cats.

Low carb canned food is best for diabetic cats and for your other cats as well. You can manage weight and the urinary issues with a low carb canned food diet as well. If some dry has to be fed, there are a few brands that are low in carbs that would be ok if the diabetic cat eats it. The FDMB board can give you the current brands.

Many vets are unfamiliar with treating diabetes. If you otherwise like the vet, you don't necessarily need to change vets. You do need to be proactive in your cat's care and discuss the best ways to manage the diabetes. Your vet is able to consult with veterinary schools and other vets to get more expert advice.