2 Day old kitten weights advice about anything welcomed!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you're well set come Monday!

They really do steal your heart in a New York minute, don't they? [emoji]128149[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They really do! Such cuties...

So this morning I wake up to babies crying. Bella has moved them, again, to underneath my bed. I have to try to get a blanket under there for them, it's a very tight spot.

Also, Bella suddenly has diarrhea... Looking at her box she's had two episodes, one half formed and the other is just watery looking. Is she OK?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's probably okay. Her system has been through a lot. Probably a minor tummy upset or just cleaning out.

What has she been eating?

muybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Daily fresh water, dry kitten chow and wet canned food. It's the same kitten chow she had as a kitten and it's the same wet food she's always had. She seems OK overall

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just wondered if she'd eaten something different in her diet. It sounds like she'll be okay :).

muybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't put it past her to lick something she's not supposed to but luckily the boys have been picking up their dishes for ice, lol

muybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wasn't home when she gave birth so I asked one of my sons who was home and I'm completely grossed out to say this.... But apparently she ate six out of seven.... The one she didn't went down a vent on the floor. I'll be searching for that now so I don't have bugs...

muybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My placenta in the vent search caused me to clean my entire house, lol

Bella seems happier with her brood under the bed.

I'll be weighing them in about an hour or so.

muybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
End of day 4 weights:

Nermal  4.2 to 4.7 = 0.5 gain

Socks    4.5 to 5.0 = 0.5 gain

Oreo      4.8 to 5.2 = 0.4 gain

Cookie  4.7 to 5.2 = 0.5 gain

Mufasa  3.9 to 4.4 = 0.5 gain

Zelda     4.0 to 4.5 = 0.5 gain

Marshmellow   3.0 to 3.2 = 0.2 gain

I weighed Marshmellow three times to make sure.... This is not good. Everyone seems to be gaining steadily, tho. Today is the first day I really haven't intervened because they've been under the bed and I can't fit to get them. Right now, I have Bella out and she's nursing them while I watch. I keep putting Marshmellow on the nipple but he is getting shoved off by others. He continues to root feverishly. I also noticed that he takes himself off then seems to have trouble finding it again. Once latched he suckles fine. I think the bigger ones are stealing the top row of nips making my little peanut have trouble finding one. Sigh. What should I do tonight and tomorrow until the KMR comes in?

muybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I was inspecting for an extra nip on Bella when I noticed the nipple under her left front leg is not as swollen as the others and is obviously not being used often. I took off Cookie and put Marshmellow on that one, super swollen, and it took him a minute to get it, but he's now calm and nursing well. But cookie won't take any available nipple. sigh.

muybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As long as I can keep Bella and her kids out from under my bed so I can tell when they are not nursing, yes, definitely. I watching Marshmellow, and he jumps off the nipple on his own a lot. He has kitty ADHD or something, lol. The others all calmly nurse but every other minute or so he gets ansty, jumps off, then roots again, nurses, and starts the process over. Hmmm.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is gaining, even though it's not enough. He should hang in there until you get the KMR, then you definitely need to begin supplementing him. I'll tell you how much once you get the KMR. When is it arriving?

muybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's coming through Amazon by tomorrow night. Judging by my past orders I should get it around the afternoon, probably after 2 pm. I'm prepared to do anything <3

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tomorrow is soon enough. You'll want to give him 2-3 mL by syringe every 2-3 hours, plus he'll still nurse mom. We just need him to grow more quickly.

It's tummy down, head up, a couple of drops in the side of the mouth, let him swallow, breathe, and go again. You can burp him in an upright position on your shoulder with little pats on his back. You can stimulate his bum with a warm, damp cotton ball to go wee and poo after his meals, though mom is licking them too.

The supplementing will help him catch up.

muybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Totally do-able!

You know what, too? I was thinking about all her baby moving... so although I live in So. NH the weather has been pretty hot and humid lately. Bella obviously wants them in my room being that I'm her human so she's safe with me. However, the AC is on low, in here. Now I have been making sure they've been warm and on top of fuzzy blankets, but what if Bella thinks they're not warm enough? So I grabbed a laundry basket, lined it with a folded duvet, and put two heat packs under it, one on each side so there's plenty of room. One is a clay pack and the other is a rice type pack, microwaveable and whatnot. I put a blanket over the top of the basket to keep it private with a gap on one side, It's been about an hour and she hasn't moved them. She's floated in and out of it, to eat and wander. But maybe this will help keep them in one spot so I can keep an eye on them? 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the laundry basket has openings in the sides it can be hazardous to the kittens.  They can set their head's stuck and strangle themselves.

muybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, and to avoid that I made sure the duvet cover I used is laid in it and over all four sides, so there's no way for them to get stuck in between a blanket or in the holes. Gotta keep babies safe!