2 day old kitten breathing funny

Bails_3.0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My almost 2 year old Calico cat has given birth to 2 babies. One of them has sadly passed away.. the mother rejected her and i was bottle feeding her. She started to do this weird thing where she would spazz out then go limb. She passed at 2 days and 6 hours old. Now her brother has started doing the same thing but this time he stopped breathing. My mom got him breathing again but now when he breathes there's this popping sound and he's kinda breathing with his mouth open and from the stomach instead of the diaphragm, it's also slow like he's having problems. I don't know what to do..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He has inhaled milk into his lungs and now has pneumonia, unfortunately. The cure would be antibiotics, but he’s too young and it’s likely too late. Just keep him as comfortable as possible until he passes. I’m so sorry.

Do you plan to spay the mother cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bails_3.0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has inhaled milk into his lungs and now has pneumonia, unfortunately. The cure would be antibiotics, but he’s too young and it’s likely too late. Just keep him as comfortable as possible until he passes. I’m so sorry.

Do you plan to spay the mother cat?
Yes I do. Im going to try and take her to the vet in the morning since she still hasn't given birth to any more kittens yet.

Bails_3.0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good. She had 6 more kittens, one being a still born. The little guy from yesterday is doing good, eating like he should. The only thing that made me uncomfortable was having to stick a needle in her neck to induce labor.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear this! Is he nursing mom along with the others?

Bails_3.0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Swell! But are you telling the one we though was dying, did recovered and now seems ok?
he seems to be doing ok. He's a little smaller than the others but he's eating.

Bails_3.0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good to hear this! Is he nursing mom along with the others?
Kind of. I have to show him where the nipples is and sometimes I have to open him mouth to and stick him on it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kind of. I have to show him where the nipples is and sometimes I have to open him mouth to and stick him on it.
Follow his weigh gain closely alike a hawk. If he gains less than 6+ grammes a day (1/5 oz) you must supplement feed / hand feed. And weak kittens has often difficult to nurse on their own - just because they are weak. So after a several days of handfeeding they can often nurse themselves.