2 Colors per eye?

kenziezmomee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 month old kitten Noelani (Nono) has eyes that are 2 different colors. Though beautiful, I’m wondering if that is a symptom of anything to be of concern? As you can see in the pictures, she wasn’t born with them (about 4 months old in the first pic and 6 months in the second) and it is becoming more prominent with age.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sectoral Heterochromia is a rare eye condition in cats where there are two different colors in the same eye. This is caused by the genes and having varying amounts of melanin in the iris of the eye. Complete Heterochromia is where there are two different colored eyes, like one blue and one green. Even when your cat Nono was young you could see the faint trace of the green coloring if you look close. I saw one cat on the internet that had one side of each eye blue and the other gold, split vertically right down the middle! Nono's would be comparable to hazel eyes in a human. Very striking and unusual but I don't believe Nono has this condition. If you Google cat's eyes it is fairly common to see this combination in the cat's eyes, so Sectoral Heterochromia must be much more pronounced and distinct, like blue and yellow, or blue and green. Or Nono has a lighter intensity of the condition. In any case, it is NOT a condition to be concerned with, it is a result of the genes!

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aren't cat eyes like people eyes and all have multi-colors? One main color and the flecks of one or two more? I don't think I have ever seen a cat with just one color in each eye.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you're fine! My dog has two color eyes. See? But your kitty looks like she has normal eyes to me? Also added a photo of one of my cats who passed a few years ago because she has similar eyes -- she never had any health issues =D or vision problems.

Attachments

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Also to add -- Sammy's eyes were VERY blue when he was a kitten. They kind of changed to a green with some blue blurs as he got older. He has no vision issues either (he's Sadie's son, the cat I posted in my first post)

Attachments