2 cats from a same shelter

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I've been trying to find an answer to my question on google and came here (and I'm glad that I did). I've recently adopted 2 cats from the same shelter and they will be delivered to me this Friday. It'll be a long road for them, I imagine, from TN to PA. The lady who works there told me that they're watching the two to make sure there is no aggression. Since they're in TN and people adopt their cats from all over the states, there is no meet and greet. However, they do necessary health checks and shots, and all cats and kittens are well socialized. That's the only information I have so far. They are both Russian Blue Mixes and have sweet and calm personalities, one is 1 y.o. and 6 months old and the other one is a 3 y.o. (but he looks a lot younger to me, he is just too small for 3 y.o.). But still, they are pretty much youngsters :) And my question is to how to re-introduce them to each other and to our house? Should I put them in a same room, or separate rooms? Please let me know and help!
Thank you! :happycat:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It'll be best to quarantine them still and do a proper introduction. The quarentine period is also about decompression. You'll be able to get some of a feel from the volunteer as to what their interest level was with one another during travel. That might tell you how swift introductions would go.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the information! I'm also wondering if they'll have an easier time getting to know each other since both are new to the house, they won't be territorial about it. Or if they already know each other from the shelter interaction, they'll be ok once I let them see one another?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By the time they've made the trip in cIose proximity, some of the work may be done for you...kinda Iike the bond formed between two peopIe together during some catastrophe. FrankIy, after being transported in the same vehicIe for that Iength of time, the onIy reason to quarantine them (unIess you aIready have animaIs in the house) is for introduction purposes. Ask Iots of questions of the transporter about how they did nor did not interact. SOME period of isoIation with proper introduction is probabIy going to be necessary, aIthough I wouId ask if they had been housed together. Some rescues have a "group Iiving" situation, many cats in one area. If the rescue does, and they were housed together, they shouId know how they got aIong. RegardIess, some decompression time in the new home is NEVER a bad thing, at aII!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the information! I'm also wondering if they'll have an easier time getting to know each other since both are new to the house, they won't be territorial about it. Or if they already know each other from the shelter interaction, they'll be ok once I let them see one another?
Depends on the cat. Cats are individuals 😸

Could be because there's no territory establishment.

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the time they've made the trip in cIose proximity, some of the work may be done for you...kinda Iike the bond formed between two peopIe together during some catastrophe. FrankIy, after being transported in the same vehicIe for that Iength of time, the onIy reason to quarantine them (unIess you aIready have animaIs in the house) is for introduction purposes. Ask Iots of questions of the transporter about how they did nor did not interact. SOME period of isoIation with proper introduction is probabIy going to be necessary, aIthough I wouId ask if they had been housed together. Some rescues have a "group Iiving" situation, many cats in one area. If the rescue does, and they were housed together, they shouId know how they got aIong. RegardIess, some decompression time in the new home is NEVER a bad thing, at aII!
Thank you, that makes it a lot more clearer! Unfortunately, we got one boy earlier than the other, so I will have to separate the dudes when the other one comes. But in the cattery, they do live in a group surrounded by different ages, so it should not be that bad :)

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Depends on the cat. Cats are individuals 😸

Could be because there's no territory establishment.
I hope so! Even with the little dude arriving early, I still hope he wont be so territorial to the other one in 2 weeks living here.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope so! Even with the little dude arriving early, I still hope he wont be so territorial to the other one in 2 weeks living here.
Hopefully so! They are used to being around other cats so that's good.

Just take an introduction at the pace of the slowest cat and you'll all do just fine. Can't wait to hear updates and (hopefully) see photos!