2 cats, 8 kittens...

feliciamneal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two housecats, both of which are female. Unfortunately, they were let outside while I wasn't home and both became pregnant. One cat had her kittens 5 days ago (April 7th), the second had her's yesterday (April 11th). We let the second one out of the room she had her kittens in and she immediately started picking up the other cat's kittens to carry them to where her's were located. I stopped this from happening, fearing the worst. However, now both of the cats have carried their kittens into my livingroom, placed all 8 into a box, and the cat who had the first 4 is now laying and trying to nurse all 8 of them. Is this dangerous? Should I worry? And if so, what should I do about this?

Thanks for any and all advice.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry, I know this isn't amusing to you at all, but I just had to laugh at your second little girl carrying her babies into the first Momma just so she could go jet off and chase a bug or something ... *grin*

Is the second Momma nursing the kittens at all? Do they take turns and share the load? If not, then you are probably going to have to confine each Momma with her respective litter to ensure that everyone is getting the proper nutrition and is thriving.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess you will have your hands very full. I would not think it is dangerous but it could be. Do they seem friendly with each other.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Felicia....also, if there is a chance that they could get outside again..you may want to move them to another room where they cannot get outside (even accidentally). Cats can become pregnant again as early as a week after giving birth and I'm sure you don't want to have to go through having 2 pregnant cats again...so best to give them a sabatical from the outdoors until their kittens are weaned and they can be safely spayed.

Katie

silvermoonmyst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i have no advice, but i think its so cute,
All 8 in one box. guess mama one and two got a bit confused on whos was whos.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of moms sharing the work. I don't think there is any harm if both moms are on good terms with each other. I've also heard of moms becoming protective of another moms kittens and bad things can result if mom thinks they are hers. So I think its your call on whats best to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feliciamneal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both cats are very friendly with one another. They don't seem to have a problem with sharing the box of kittens. I'm not sure if they'll switch back and forth with milking turns, but at the moment, the first mother cat is letting both sets of kittens nurse her and the other mother cat is laying nearby.

I'm mostly worried about the fact of nutrition. The first born babies have milked from only their mother for 5 days now, however...the second set of babies have only nursed from their mother for around 24 hours. If the second mother DOES take turns and feed both sets of babies, will the first babies steal any nutrition her own babies may still need? How long do the babies need to milk to gain all the proper nutrients?

*Update* I was just brought a kitten from the second mother. She dropped it at my foot. However...it's not hers.
Oh my, what should I do? lol */Update*

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

I've heard of moms sharing the work. I don't think there is any harm if both moms are on good terms with each other. I've also heard of moms becoming protective of another moms kittens and bad things can result if mom thinks they are hers. So I think its your call on whats best to do.

But if they are not sharing the work equally, then it really is best to separate them. You can confine them together in the same room so long as while within that room, they are confined individually - I sound like a broken record here but I like and use the extra-large dog crates for this. You can confine Momma and kittens from Litter 1 in one crate and Momma and kittens from litter 2 in another - just put both of the crates nearby or even right next to each other in the same room.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
*Update* I was just brought a kitten from the second mother. She dropped it at my foot. However...it's not hers. Oh my, what should I do? lol */Update*
Wait...did she bring you one that was the other cats or did she bring you one that wasn't either of theirs??

Katie

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Moms produce colostrum for about 3 days. The vet told me the kittens can only assimilate this type of milk for about 24 hours at which point their intestines close off to absorbing it. So they should have gotten all the colostrum they need by now, but if you want to play it safe then seperate them for a while. Then if you feel comfortable with it you can let them commune again. Againt this is your call though... The least exposure the kittens get the better it is for them, this can include other adult cats. But it could be a stress reliever on another mom... Plus's and minus's all over the place with it I guess.

feliciamneal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Wait...did she bring you one that was the other cats or did she bring you one that wasn't either of theirs??

Katie
It's one of the other mother's. I'm starting to think the second mother may want her box back. >.> I'm going to try setting up two seperate boxes now.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by FeliciaMNeal

Both cats are very friendly with one another. They don't seem to have a problem with sharing the box of kittens. I'm not sure if they'll switch back and forth with milking turns, but at the moment, the first mother cat is letting both sets of kittens nurse her and the other mother cat is laying nearby.
Sounds good so far, but you will really need to keep an eye on the second Momma to ensure that she is taking her turn at nursing the babies.

I'm mostly worried about the fact of nutrition. The first born babies have milked from only their mother for 5 days now, however...the second set of babies have only nursed from their mother for around 24 hours. If the second mother DOES take turns and feed both sets of babies, will the first babies steal any nutrition her own babies may still need? How long do the babies need to milk to gain all the proper nutrients?
The first 24 to 48 hours of milk production is when the beneficial colostrum is provided to the kittens. If the second litter nursed from their proper mother for 24 hours, you should be ok with that. However, the concern here IMO is more of the queen who takes on the bulk of nursing duty. She is going to become very depleted in her own resources very quickly. It is extremely hard on the queens to provide 100% of the nutritional requirements for her own litter much less that of another queen.

Please make certain both Mommas are being fed a steady diet of a high-quality kitten food in both dry and canned varieties. You want the label to read "Suitable for Pregnant or Nursing Queens". Give them both as much as they want whenever they want it.

*Update* I was just brought a kitten from the second mother. She dropped it at my foot. However...it's not hers.
Oh my, what should I do? lol */Update*
You are going to need to confine these cats in the long run for their own safety. If they are moving around like this, the chances of someone getting hurt, lost or worse is really high.

feliciamneal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it seemed the situation got worse. I placed a different box across the room and put the second mother's kittens there. She, however, decided to drag the first mother's kittens to a window sill to feed it instead of tending to her own.

Currently, I have the the second mother cat and her babies locked in my bathroom with food, water, and a litter box. I intend to keep her there until this little dispute with the kittens comes to an end.

Anyone have any ideas how long it may take for this to cool off? How old do the kittens have to be for the mother kittens to stop dragging each other's off?

cookandcompany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mentor has 2 mothers who share kittens, But they take turns caring for them. I think it's sweet. But you have gotten great advice thus far. Thanks for the giggles..