2.5 year old male urinary blockage

Aileen666

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your advice. Today was the last day of his meds. The vet wants me to see how he does without them. I’m worried he will put the catheter back in if he doesn’t pee in full pees by Friday☹ He just really started eating the prescription food a few days ago, so I’m hoping it does it’s job this week!
I have a cat now that had a blockage and almost died. He is on urinary dry and can food. He still gets UTI’s. Hd was just diagnosed with a terminal heart condition where dr said if he makes it a year from diagnosis it will be a miracle. I travel a lot so he comes with me. Another dr said she highly doubts he will make it 6 months. Well it’s been almost 6 months since his bad diagnosis. I now let him eat chicken friskies with extra gravy and he still gets dry urinary food and some can urinary food. He has cost me thousands and thousands of dollars in his numerous medical bills. There is a special litter you can order that is suppose to catch urinary issues early. I think it’d called pretty litter ( something like that ). You can Google it. Reviews are really good ! I have a feeling it would ease your mind !

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You made me feel better. How long could this last for him? Will it just resolve one morning and I’ll be surprised? Lol not really funny, but I’m losing my mind so I have to joke a bit! I am scared to call my vet because he seems to just want to throw a catheter in him. I think there are other things we can try before being drastic if he is not blocked.

I plan to look into the over the counter foods hopefully in a year or so from now. This food is so expensive I cannot believe it. It's criminal.
It depends on how long it takes him to stop feeling irritated and if any more stones pass that re-aggrivate the area.

There is definitely things to try without a catheter right now and I would just call and ask specifically about pain medication. Anti-inflammatories really help and it'll take some of the edge off so that he stops trying to go so frequently in these small amounts.

That's how it is for most people when you have bladder irritation too. Frequently peeing small amounts, sometimes painful, etc.

I understand completely. I still get anxiety to the point I can't feel my body when I think Nobel's gone to the litter and done nothing. We almost took him to emergency for a large poo. (He passed the poo and then peed and we waited until morning to go to the regular vet).

It's okay to keep an eye on him right now as you'll be watching for further blockages. Did they do an ultrasound on him?

The first vet I went to with Nobel's FLUTD was just the closest to me. She was quite dramatic about it and had me in a state. She also tried to over medicate him and gave him a dog sized dosage. We went to our former vet the next time and he was much calmer and we sorted it. He had one more flare and we saw the female vet who gave me the resources above. And then one final beginning of a flare where I started to catch the signs and then the emergency vet said, "He's fine. Why are you here?" I told him about the red in the urine and his history and that's who prescribed the anti-anxiety medicine. We discussed more prevention. He's been great since then. I keep his water intake up, add extra during stress and even take a warm cloth to wipe him if he's licking a lot.

One thing to consider: if a cat does need a dental cleaning with the vet, they can pass infection from their mouth to their urinary tract during cleaning. So that can be the cause of flare ups too. Particularly consecutive ones.

I would try to feed 100% wet food for a couple of days at least with added water to really just help flush and dissolve everything as well as possible and get him feeling a bit better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kimluvs2dance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've bought that food for TWO cats for 10 years and now just one for 6 months. At a certain point the cost isn't the problem...it's the availability of it and how sacred these damn RXs for food are. Most stores don't keep this in stock so it's order online. And even a lot of online places don't keep this in stock rather they just send the order straight to Purina/Hills/RC/etc and the manufacturer fulfills it.

My only tips are to have the RX setup at two online places (preferably one that is the manufacturer) and then a copy of the RX in physical paper form. You want the paper form in case you're in a pinch and need to get it from a physical store or an alternative online place. Covid supply chains suck.

It's also useful if the vet gives you hassle for renewing it claiming they can't find it b/c of a system switch. I had this problem last January and it put my cat into a full on eating crisis that we're STILL recovering from and the only way it was resolved was spending time at the vet's office as a tech went through 11 years worth of records looking for the original RX. Never mind we had 11 years worth of purchase records from them for the food. I would have lost my mind had I not needed this magical slip of paper to get my girl the food she needed. It's cat food for pee pee problems, and is damn expensive...this isn't exactly a controlled substance.
Wow very good to know, thank you. I’m going to have a prescription on hand. That’s crazy they won’t sell it without it and the vets try to hustle you.

Kimluvs2dance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat now that had a blockage and almost died. He is on urinary dry and can food. He still gets UTI’s. Hd was just diagnosed with a terminal heart condition where dr said if he makes it a year from diagnosis it will be a miracle. I travel a lot so he comes with me. Another dr said she highly doubts he will make it 6 months. Well it’s been almost 6 months since his bad diagnosis. I now let him eat chicken friskies with extra gravy and he still gets dry urinary food and some can urinary food. He has cost me thousands and thousands of dollars in his numerous medical bills. There is a special litter you can order that is suppose to catch urinary issues early. I think it’d called pretty litter ( something like that ). You can Google it. Reviews are really good ! I have a feeling it would ease your mind !
I’m so happy he survived the blockage, but I’m so sorry to hear about his new illness. I’m going to look up the litter, thank you so much for your response. I hope you spend lots of time with your baby.

Kimluvs2dance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It depends on how long it takes him to stop feeling irritated and if any more stones pass that re-aggrivate the area.

There is definitely things to try without a catheter right now and I would just call and ask specifically about pain medication. Anti-inflammatories really help and it'll take some of the edge off so that he stops trying to go so frequently in these small amounts.

That's how it is for most people when you have bladder irritation too. Frequently peeing small amounts, sometimes painful, etc.

I understand completely. I still get anxiety to the point I can't feel my body when I think Nobel's gone to the litter and done nothing. We almost took him to emergency for a large poo. (He passed the poo and then peed and we waited until morning to go to the regular vet).

It's okay to keep an eye on him right now as you'll be watching for further blockages. Did they do an ultrasound on him?

The first vet I went to with Nobel's FLUTD was just the closest to me. She was quite dramatic about it and had me in a state. She also tried to over medicate him and gave him a dog sized dosage. We went to our former vet the next time and he was much calmer and we sorted it. He had one more flare and we saw the female vet who gave me the resources above. And then one final beginning of a flare where I started to catch the signs and then the emergency vet said, "He's fine. Why are you here?" I told him about the red in the urine and his history and that's who prescribed the anti-anxiety medicine. We discussed more prevention. He's been great since then. I keep his water intake up, add extra during stress and even take a warm cloth to wipe him if he's licking a lot.

One thing to consider: if a cat does need a dental cleaning with the vet, they can pass infection from their mouth to their urinary tract during cleaning. So that can be the cause of flare ups too. Particularly consecutive ones.

I would try to feed 100% wet food for a couple of days at least with added water to really just help flush and dissolve everything as well as possible and get him feeling a bit better.
Ughhh the anxiety is awful. I will have it the rest of his life I’m sure, too. I’m going to call the vet. Someone told me to try Cosequin so I ordered that and will come Monday. I’m going to try the cloth if I see him licking. Thank you for all of this advice. You truly have helped me.

I’m glad your baby is doing well. Really good to know about the dental stuff! I’ve been adding water to his wet and feeding him very minimal dry. He loves the extra water, which is amazing. He drinks it up before he eats.

Aileen666

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so happy he survived the blockage, but I’m so sorry to hear about his new illness. I’m going to look up the litter, thank you so much for your response. I hope you spend lots of time with your baby.
Sadly he passed away this Sunday. I’m having a terrible time missing him. He made it 6 months from diagnosis. I hope you find the litter helpful

Kimluvs2dance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly he passed away this Sunday. I’m having a terrible time missing him. He made it 6 months from diagnosis. I hope you find the litter helpful
I am so sorry to hear this. I can’t imagine what you’re going through. Sending positive energy your way🙏🏻💚

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A Aileen666 I am so sorry to read this. You clearly took excellent care of your cat, gave him every chance you could, and helped him to live to 14 despite his challenges. Sometimes it is harder to face a loss like this when your lives have been so intertwined by the extensive caretaking that you gave to him. Please remember that you can come here to talk.

If you would like to post a tribute to your cat in our Crossing the Bridge forum, or discuss anything which is on your mind related to his passing, you are welcome to do so.
Crossing the Bridge