2.5 Month Old Kitten - Grooming

mattb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - I recently adopted a 2.5 year old kitten. He's been great, super social and cuddly kitten, however I've noticed he's hasn't really caught on to the whole grooming thing. He does a little bit of grooming; the whole paw and face thing, and licks his chest a bit, but doesn't clean in his nether-regions at all and doesn't groom his whole coat. We typically have to clean up his bottom every other day just to clean things up. His mom was with him since birth and seemed to be a good mother and did all the typical mom-cat teaching things.

Is this something that he will develop over time? I've never had a kitten before so I wasn't sure if he will develop these habits over time, or if it's something I need to be proactive in helping teach him.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just want to confirm, 2.5 years old? Not 2.5 months?

If years is right, he won't likely improve much with grooming. It could be he grooms more when you aren't around and he might pick up more now that he isn't around Mom as much. But that is technically an adult cat and they are usually more set on their habits.

Is he long or short hair?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mattb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry - meant 2.5 months... He's a maine coon, so long hair.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No worries.

Months makes a lot more sense and makes it more manageable.

Long hairs do need more grooming then shorthairs in general. It wouldn't hurt to get in the habit of daily brushing and weekly bathing to keep his coat clean. It's easier to establish the habit when he is young and will help prevent matting when he gets older.

You can encourage him to start self grooming more by brushing him with a toothbrush between grooming sessions. A toothbrush immitates a mom cats tongue and will prompt him to start grooming himself more.