2-3 Week Old Kitten Yellow Stool / 5 Week Weaning Question

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So cute!

I like to mix Gerber chicken baby food with the milk. It doesn't clump up in the bottle (if heated; it will clump if cold) so you don't have to cut a bigger hole at first. That at least gives them the taste of meat to start out. And then rub a tiny bit on her nose and try to get her to lick it off your fingers, etc. Just a low-key attempt every day to try to ease her into it. Once she understands the concept you can try kitten Fancy Feast or Royal Canin Babycat with milk to make a soupy texture, and try to get her to take that. It will be messy at first.

With orphans, even after weaning I like to offer the bottle once a day until they naturally lose interest, to try to prevent compulsive suckling behaviors. So far that has worked for me!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I keep thinking that the extra nursing will one day pay off with Hekitty...she just turned 11. Years. Old. I'm living in a fool's paradise, aren't I?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been trying to get her to eat wet food but she seems completely uninterested, though I am mixing some of the gravy/broth in the can with her milk.
However I’ve run into another problem.
Yesterday morning she did poop and her stool wasn’t as liquid, although it did have some “mucus” in it. Since then she hasn’t pooped. I’ve fed her three times today and two more times yesterday after she pooped. Her belly is a big bigger I’m worried she’s constipated or it’s because I’m not giving her any solid foods that she isn’t going? She also isn’t peeing as much, I got her to per during her last feeding yesterday and her newspaper was all wet when I came home today to feed her for the third time, so she must have peed in the carrier we keep her in. But no sign of any stool.
From what I’ve read I should take her to see the vet if she doesn’t produce stool soon, I’m just wondering if it’s because she’s not eating wet food or because of the diarrhea she has some sort of blockage? Even when I stimulate she doesn’t want to use the bathroom, pee not poop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlazenlyObvious

Kitten Foster Momma
Adult Cat
Purraise
We took her to the vet today, they gave her something (Emena or something) to help her poop. They said if she still doesn’t by tomorrow then to come back in so they can give her more. She said it would take a bit to let the stool soften before she’d use the bathroom. Once she starts going again we can hopefully get a good fecal sample to bring in!
Originally this kitten was going to be rehomed when she got old enough but were considering keeping her! (Only thing is we have 3 cats already and live in an apartment)