2-3 Week Old Kitten Poop

SmolCreeperCat

Cat Herder
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everybody! Got another foster on my hands, cutest darn thing ever and was super easy until just recently. For about three days now she's had very loose yellow stool, and has been partially incontinent which is very rare for her. My staff vet started her on Benebac but she's only had one dose so far. She was eating really well, KMR every 3-4 hours and anywhere from 15-30 ml at a time. Now she wants to eat more often but doesn't eat as much. Any advice? Also she going to be staying with a vet tech co-worker of mine for about two weeks tomorrow so I know she will be well cared for, but I can tell this poor baby just doesn't feel too well. Is she eating too much, too often? I know that can be a common cause of baby diarrhea. She doesn't seem dehydrated at all and is still very active and engaged.

Thanks guys! My vet will check her out again tomorrow as well. For reference she is about 11 ounces and I've had her for about a week and a half. Her poop was very normal until just recently.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One advice is to remind you give pedialyte or some other source pf extra salts.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yellow diarrhea indicates possible coccidia, which is a common parasite, but can make kittens ill. It does not usually show up in a regular fecal.

The cure is Albon or ponazuril. Please ask the vet about this.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SmolCreeperCat

Cat Herder
Kitten
Purraise
Yellow diarrhea indicates possible coccidia, which is a common parasite, but can make kittens ill. It does not usually show up in a regular fecal.

The cure is Albon or ponazuril. Please ask the vet about this.

Keep us posted!
It always blows my mind that kittens I've had almost from birth can still have parasites. Do they get passed on in utero or do they get it from mom's milk, however little they might have gotten from her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I believe worms and parasites are passed through mom’s milk.