1yr old cat tried to escape and whines whenever at front door

tisha51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a approx 1yr old kitten LUCKY (approximately cause he followed a friend to my door and well he's just so darn adorable once he was in my arms I was smitten) who triend to escape the other night.  Actually he did and luckily my boyfriend was able to catch him before it was too late.  All 3 of us live in a townhouse like apartment.  My front door opens straight to the street(a pretty busy residential street) and it did not come with a screen door. I also smoke outside my apartment not inside.  I work from home and he chills with me in my office during my work day and stays away from the door when i go for my smoke (usually).

Since about December when Lucky ventures to the doorway at night he would howl till either my boyfriend or i would get up and once we acknowledge his howls he would come back upstairs.  Since January Lucky has tried to "escape" 3 times the most recent being a few nights ago.  Normally he will chill just inside the door when we go out for a smoke and is pretty interactive with neighbours and neighbours dogs from the window( i had set up a make shift cat bed out of our shoe rack so he could see outdoors when we are out and to enjoy the birds at play during the summer) and not try to escape.  The other night as i was closing the door to go out he jumped out as the door was closing(he has never done the jumping thing before the other attempts were run outs). He has now been banned from the front door area all together.

Now during my work time he is content to sit at the top of my stairs on a empty toy chest with a blanket and one of my boyfriends jackets(which he leaves at home full time) but when my work day is done and we hang out on the main floor any chance he gets he's heading for that door.  I do play with him after work and try to make it as long as possible ( he likes to relax for about 15minutes MAX inbetween bouts of playfulness).  He has self play toys (not really of any interest to him) and interactive toys and boxes that he has made into toys, lots of available window space and i have even cleaned out a section of the top shelf of our closet(can see right through our bedroom window and get a much better view of the street directly in front of us).  

I don't know what else i can do, as i've taken one area away from him and opened up another, but it just doesn't seem to be working.  He loves water and citrus scents don't bother him at all. I'm lost any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tisha51

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sugarcatmom THANK YOU