18 yr old stage 2 ckd with high bp having weight loss

BadwolfBuffy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s been on telmisartan for 3 1/2 weeks. Her BP was still high at the vet last week. She thinks that’s what’s causing the weight loss. She’s having me weigh her every other day for a few weeks. She’s been pretty steady staying between 7.12 and 7.14 for the last 2 weeks, but today she was 7.10 though. Her thyroid was normal last month. Are fluctuations normal like this when dealing with kidney and bp issues? She’s still eating her prescription kidney food and drinking the same amount.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not familiar with that blood pressure medication. Are you in the US?
Weight can vary day to day depending on when they eat or drink or use the litter box, but in a cat it would be a very minimal amount. I would weigh again tomorrow and see if it continues. Has your cat had her heart checked? Does she have a murmer? There is a blood test called a BNP that checks the heart and can give insight into heart problems.
Unfortunately hypertension and renal disease often go hand in hand. Subconsciously giving fluids can be great to support a cat with renal disease, caution would have to be used due to the high BP. Something you might want to discuss with your vet to see if the risk would be worth it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!

My cat is Stage 3 CKD, with high BP and hyperthyroidism. She did not have any weight loss issues related to the high BP. It seems to be under control with a very low dose of amlodipine (0.625mg daily). If your cat's BP is still high, is there some reason that the vet doesn't want to increase the telmisartan dosage? Perhaps, she could use a different med? Although, I think most of the BP meds suggest side effects could include lack of appetite and/or weight loss, among other things.

How long has she been on the kidney food - and does it have a lower percentage of protein in it than what she used to eat? Many of the kidney foods, especially the prescription versions, have a lower level of protein which could potentially cause some weight loss over time.

But you are talking about a change of a few ounces, correct? That could be related to just about anything. The time of day you weigh her, whether or not she has peed or had a BM, how it correlates to when she ate, are the most common reasons for weight fluctuation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BadwolfBuffy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am not familiar with that blood pressure medication. Are you in the US?
Weight can vary day to day depending on when they eat or drink or use the litter box, but in a cat it would be a very minimal amount. I would weigh again tomorrow and see if it continues. Has your cat had her heart checked? Does she have a murmer? There is a blood test called a BNP that checks the heart and can give insight into heart problems.
Unfortunately hypertension and renal disease often go hand in hand. Subconsciously giving fluids can be great to support a cat with renal disease, caution would have to be used due to the high BP. Something you might want to discuss with your vet to see if the risk would be worth it.
The vet did mention a murmur, but acted like she was hoping the meds would improve it all. Her bp was high last time too in addition to her not taking her gabapentin that day before the vet. She gets very stressed at the vets. I’m going to keep monitoring her weight and she will go back in a few weeks for rechecks or sooner if her weight goes down more. I’m going to be on vacation in 2 weeks and I’m so worried about leaving her. Luckily my husband will be here, but I’ll still worry. Thanks for the advice.

BadwolfBuffy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!

My cat is Stage 3 CKD, with high BP and hyperthyroidism. She did not have any weight loss issues related to the high BP. It seems to be under control with a very low dose of amlodipine (0.625mg daily). If your cat's BP is still high, is there some reason that the vet doesn't want to increase the telmisartan dosage? Perhaps, she could use a different med? Although, I think most of the BP meds suggest side effects could include lack of appetite and/or weight loss, among other things.

How long has she been on the kidney food - and does it have a lower percentage of protein in it than what she used to eat? Many of the kidney foods, especially the prescription versions, have a lower level of protein which could potentially cause some weight loss over time.

But you are talking about a change of a few ounces, correct? That could be related to just about anything. The time of day you weigh her, whether or not she has peed or had a BM, how it correlates to when she ate, are the most common reasons for weight fluctuation.
She’s actually lost a little over half a pound over the last 2 months. She’s been steady the last 2 weeks though until today when she dipped a tiny bit. She’s been on the kidney food about 4-5 weeks. I guess I didn’t think about the same amount, but it being less calories.
I did do subQ fluids for a few weeks, but the vet didn’t mention about staying on them because her numbers improved. She’s still very early stage2.
thank you for the advice. Talking to other people who have been through it is such a comfort.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you familiar with Tanya's web site? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org)

It is what I will call the 'bible' of all things related to CKD, including things like high BP, and a whole host of other affiliated matters. It is very extensive and can take some time to go through it all, but well worth it do so. You can start by reading the sections most interesting to you and go from there. I reference it all the time.

I am not sure when sub-Q fluids would need to be introduced on a regular basis, as that can vary from cat to cat. I know I only started Feeby on sub-Q fluids when her creatinine and BUN skyrocketed this past May. The sub-Q fluids did bring her numbers down and she has been on them (100ml daily) ever since.

She also has a murmur that has yet to require treatment (Grade 1). She gets an appetite stimulant (and an anti-nausea meds when I can get her to take it), to help encourage her to eat, and she is hanging in there weight wise. I do not give her kidney foods as she hates them, so she gets what she will eat, and I add a phosphorus binder to offset the high level that is in many commercial foods. I did not start the phosphorus binder until her level was too high in accordance with Tanya's web site. Vets tend to let it get higher than I think they should. Her food is higher in protein because that is what she likes.

None of this really explains why your cat is losing weight. It would seem that it has to be the calories in her food, if she is eating well otherwise, and does not have hyper-T. If it is because of her high BP, then I fail to understand your vet not addressing that aspect.

BadwolfBuffy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you familiar with Tanya's web site? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org)

It is what I will call the 'bible' of all things related to CKD, including things like high BP, and a whole host of other affiliated matters. It is very extensive and can take some time to go through it all, but well worth it do so. You can start by reading the sections most interesting to you and go from there. I reference it all the time.

I am not sure when sub-Q fluids would need to be introduced on a regular basis, as that can vary from cat to cat. I know I only started Feeby on sub-Q fluids when her creatinine and BUN skyrocketed this past May. The sub-Q fluids did bring her numbers down and she has been on them (100ml daily) ever since.

She also has a murmur that has yet to require treatment (Grade 1). She gets an appetite stimulant (and an anti-nausea meds when I can get her to take it), to help encourage her to eat, and she is hanging in there weight wise. I do not give her kidney foods as she hates them, so she gets what she will eat, and I add a phosphorus binder to offset the high level that is in many commercial foods. I did not start the phosphorus binder until her level was too high in accordance with Tanya's web site. Vets tend to let it get higher than I think they should. Her food is higher in protein because that is what she likes.

None of this really explains why your cat is losing weight. It would seem that it has to be the calories in her food, if she is eating well otherwise, and does not have hyper-T. If it is because of her high BP, then I fail to understand your vet not addressing that aspect.
That site looks amazing! Thanks! And thank you for your input. Luckily she’s eating the kidney food, for now.