18 yr old kitty with Kidney Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
WE do not do blood work often.  What's the point, really.  We know she has kidney disease.  When she gets to a certain point, she will tell us she's ready to go and we will let her go.  We won't treat her any differently based on her numbers, because our Callie is just not one to let us pill her, or do much to her, unlike her brother, who was an angel when it came to treating him.   For example, we did take her in yesterday to get another Cerenia shot, but did NOT have blood work drawn.

If she is falling down constantly, it could be something to do with her potassium, which is a common thing if it's low.  A simple potassium pill might be all she needs, given that she hasn't been eating.  Or it could be the end, it's just hard to say.  THAT could be checked with a blood test, perhaps a very simple, inexpensive one?

I'm so sorry this is happening
  It's the pits

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
You're not horrible.  You've done so much right by Jasmine. I hope you will not feel guilty or blame yourself if you don't get more bloodwork done!  

We didn't continue to have bloodwork done on my 17 year old towards the end--there just wasn't anything different we could have done, had we known 'the numbers'.  We did what we could, and we knew when it was time to let go.  

I'm so sorry--the indecision about what's the right thing to do is awful, I know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasmine's mum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hate posting this... but I decided to let her go tonight.  Seeing her like this was just wrong.  Our vet called when it was happening, as I had a call into him.  He said it was ok to let her go... that when the kidneys are damaged this badly the medication can be too hard on her.  I was going to take her in in the morning... but she was really off.  She wall falling one way and then to the other side, then when she could get all the way up she was moving constantly... going places totally odd.  I tried holding her, but she didn't really want that either. 

I couldn't see leaving her in this state all evening and night.  I do not know if I made the right decision or not.  But what we were doing wasn't working... and the meds were just making it worse.  The past few days she would even lay facing the wall... again not like her.  And I couldn't see continuing to poke at her if things weren't going to improve... or to let her starve if she couldn't be on meds to help with her appetite.

My stomach hurts and my heart is broken.  I can't thank you guys enough for all of your love, support and help!  Truly you were all such angels during a very difficult time.  I will be keeping all of your loved one in my thoughts and prayers... and hoping for much more quality time for all of you.

I hope she is with my dad again... he liked her very much.

Above is the last photo I took of her, from the other day... resting in her favourite spot.

Sandra

alismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Prayers and hugs for you.  Such a hard time for you all.  

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, Sandra, you did exactly the right thing. You knew it was time and you did what had to be done.

I've shared this link many times--it's helped many of us 'when the moment comes': http://www.thecatsite.com/t/237066/when-the-moment-comes

The TCS team extends our deepest sympathy for your loss. When members lose their kitties, we lock the thread as a sign of respect. Please, when and if you feel like it, post a tribute to your kitty in the Crossing the Bridge forum: http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.