18-yr-old domestic housecat.....time to say goodbye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EEG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
JimmySoxx came into my life at 6 weeks old and he will be 19 in April.
He has a heart murmur and chronic kidney disease.
Very recently he had a bad bout of constipation. Two enemas helped with the constipation but now he won't eat or drink. I've been administering subcutaneous IV for the last 3 days and he continues to worsen. He won't come out of the litter box, vomiting, very lethargic and weak. I take him out of the litter box and he cries. I clean him up and hold him, try to get him to eat or drink. Nothing. Is it time to say goodbye?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EEG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Furrballsmom,
Vet said it's maintenance at this point. Which to me means I'm simply keeping him alive with the fluids. It's heartbreaking to see how he's changed.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
JimmySoxx came into my life at 6 weeks old and he will be 19 in April.
He has a heart murmur and chronic kidney disease.
Very recently he had a bad bout of constipation. Two enemas helped with the constipation but now he won't eat or drink. I've been administering subcutaneous IV for the last 3 days and he continues to worsen. He won't come out of the litter box, vomiting, very lethargic and weak. I take him out of the litter box and he cries. I clean him up and hold him, try to get him to eat or drink. Nothing. Is it time to say goodbye?
I'm so sorry EEG EEG . :alright:
Yeah, it sounds like it might be that time. :frown:

It's so hard, though, because we all hope that our cats will turn around, and be well again.
Sometimes they do rally at the end, but usually for a short time.
When they are having more bad days than good ones, and when they cannot even enjoy sleeping, or walking, eating, and the things that they used to do ...then I figure...they are telling us 'goodbye', too. :frown:
They are so strong, for such small creatures.

It's still amazing, though, because even though your cat JimmySoxx is so ill, ...he still knows what his litterbox is for.
(My rainbow cat Spotty, had to be euthanized at 15.5...also due to CKD and HCM....he just went downhill fast in about a week...so I knew...I didn't want him to suffer anymore. He was laying around in a meatloaf position, ...facing the wall or back of sofa...and he hated to be syringe fed, too.)

sending prayers and mega vibes for JimmySoxx and you. :vibes::vibes::blackcat:

EEG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry EEG EEG . :alright:
Yeah, it sounds like it might be that time. :frown:

It's so hard, though, because we all hope that our cats will turn around, and be well again.
Sometimes they do rally at the end, but usually for a short time.
When they are having more bad days than good ones, and when they cannot even enjoy sleeping, or walking, eating, and the things that they used to do ...then I figure...they are telling us 'goodbye', too. :frown:
They are so strong, for such small creatures.

It's still amazing, though, because even though your cat JimmySoxx is so ill, ...he still knows what his litterbox is for.
(My rainbow cat Spotty, had to be euthanized at 15.5...also due to CKD and HCM....he just went downhill fast in about a week...so I knew...I didn't want him to suffer anymore. He was laying around in a meatloaf position, ...facing the wall or back of sofa...and he hated to be syringe fed, too.)

sending prayers and mega vibes for JimmySoxx and you. :vibes::vibes::blackcat:
ETA: based on your above post you may want to refer to this Article that discusses When Is It Time?
When Is It Time? – Making The Difficult Decision – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you Neely. I needed to read something like that. I'm so glad I found this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had to make the decision to put to sleep our 15 yr old kitty this past weekend. For us, it came down to quality of life. In her present condition, she would've had no quality to her life. She wasn't eating, was lethargic, and wasn't herself. We didn't want her to suffer any longer and so we made the heart-wrenching, but most loving decision we could make and chose to end her suffering. You will know when it's time, but from what you're describing it sounds as if the time is drawing near.

EEG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
James AKA JimmySoxx left this world today around 5 p.m. My father and I took him to the vet. My father was also the one who adopted Jimmy for me 18 years ago. It was so hard to let him go but it was absolutely the right decision. I'm going to miss him so very much. My 4-yr-old somewhat understands and asked for him too. It felt so strange coming home and not seeing him at the door. So cliche, but my heart hurts.
Thank you everyone for the love and support. Sending you all hugs!

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My heartfelt sympathies go out to you on the passing of JimmySoxx. 😿 You made a difficult decision but spared him from suffering and enduring any further pain. He is at peace now and running with all our cats who have gone to the Bridge. RIP sweet boy. :angel:

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so deeply sorry and touched by your courage to help him in his time of need. It is easier for me to face a person that is older passing than it is a loving beautiful gift of a pet that bonds with your heart as deeply as I'm sure, JimmySoxx did with you.

Please know he is pain free and so very Happy to reach Raindow Bridge peacefully. Tonight he looks down upon you and knows your pain but rest assured HE WILL keep watch over YOU til you see and meet him again in our Afterlife.

May God Bless JimmySoxx and you, and all those(including every member of this site for sure) that mourn his love and the happiness he brought you for his whole life. RIP sweet Angel, JimmySoxx you are free now boy go run and play forever happy!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss...of your beautiful JimmySoxx. :rbheart:
What a handsome cat, with that white stripe on his nose, and white whiskers and white bib.
He reminds me of those beautiful black horses with white stripes.

May you, your dad, and rest of the family, find Peace and Strength in this difficult time...knowing that JimmySoxx is looking down on you all, and smiling for all the wonderful years that you shared together.
May your broken heart...heal with time. :rbheart: :hugs: :grouphug:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this EEG EEG .

JimmySoxx had a wonderful long life with you. I know you must miss him terribly, but I hope you can take comfort in the lifetime of memories you have together.

I'll lock this thread now. When you feel ready it might help to start a thread in memory of James in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace sweet boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.