18 year old cat possible rehome

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

I'm after some advice. Not sure if this is the correct forum section but here goes.

My father is neing rehomed due to his property being sold and he's had cookie since a kitten she's now 18 years old. She's an indoor cat so has always been used to just my dad.

If he gets a place which allows pets then brilliant problem solved. However unfortunately he can't be picky and has to find somewhere sooner rather than later.

If the property doesn't allow pets then she would need to be rehomed and I don't want her going just to a cats home due to her age. Generally she's well but has the odd accident.

I might have her myself but I have two cats myself, a 2 year old and a kitten. I don't want to put her under any stress and wondering whether I'm doing the right thing keeping her or if she'll be stressed out with my two cats and 3 children. She doesn't know me either as she's always been wary of people as my dad doesn't have visitors, he's very anti social.

Any advice would be welcome?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
You haven't seen her/petted her, but you've visited your dad so she's familiar with your smell and voice.

Would there be any way you could collect some things/ clothing of your dad's that he doesn't need or care about that will then smell familiar to her, and all her things including litterboxes, food dishes etc and give her a room for herself at your place? Purr toys, heartbeat toys, Musicforcats . com will also help her.

I think this will be the least stressful of the options available for her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jen1982

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I have petted her but I don't often see my dad. When I say he doesn't like visitors that goes for family too unfortunately. He really is a grumpy loner. He settles for Christmas and at a push fathers day and birthday but he still has a grumpy whinge at that.

I could keep her in my room and close the door but at the same time I don't want her feeling like she's been locked away although she might prefer that. I'm hoping my dad is given one of the pensioner homes he's applied for as they allow pets as I know she would prefer to stay with him. She seems to be like owner like cat.

I think I'll start going down more and put up with my father's lovely whinging just so that cookie gets used to it. I'll then have two cookies under the same roof 😄

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When I rescued a 5 week kitten, my senior cat did not like her. Second day very loving together. How old are your kids? If not too young teach them to be quiet around her. It will workout.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Your dad may be grumpy and possibly a curmudgeon but he obviously shows compassion for Cookie, i.e. taking care of her from a kitten until 18 years old. I sincerely hope he is able to find a dwelling that will allow pets since that would be a win-win for everyone. Otherwise I agree with the above members that the next best option would be for her to come live with you. Best of luck, please keep us posted. :goodluck:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi

I'm after some advice. Not sure if this is the correct forum section but here goes.

My father is neing rehomed due to his property being sold and he's had cookie since a kitten she's now 18 years old. She's an indoor cat so has always been used to just my dad.

If he gets a place which allows pets then brilliant problem solved. However unfortunately he can't be picky and has to find somewhere sooner rather than later.

If the property doesn't allow pets then she would need to be rehomed and I don't want her going just to a cats home due to her age. Generally she's well but has the odd accident.

I might have her myself but I have two cats myself, a 2 year old and a kitten. I don't want to put her under any stress and wondering whether I'm doing the right thing keeping her or if she'll be stressed out with my two cats and 3 children. She doesn't know me either as she's always been wary of people as my dad doesn't have visitors, he's very anti social.

Any advice would be welcome?
my suggestion: If your dad cant get a place that accepts pets, then you take in cookie.

Few people are going to want an 18 year old cat, especially one that has the odd accident.

Without your intervention, cookie may end up in a shelter. That would be a very miserable end for her.

If you take her in, she might manage. If you or her absolutely cant manage, then try to find her a caring home.

At the very least, you are buying her some time to find a better home than a shelter and possible euthanasia.

And at the best...........she adapts and everyone gets along.

And as grumpy as your dad is, he might well be heartbroken if he knows his cookie is scared and suffering in a shelter. Knowing that cookie is with you will probably give him some peace of mind, even if he doesnt admit it.

The reality is cookie is quite elderly and may not be around much longer........so even if the situation with her at your home is challenging.....it may not be for very long.