17th child born, to Arkansas family

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I can't read the reponses as all the judgemental responses will make me annoyed, I just wanted to add I am suprised this isn't in IMO yet!
There is a thread just like this one in IMO already

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

the bible says to to have sex for the reason of precreation only.
just a little side note, but that is not actually correct
read "Song of Solomens" -the Bible talks about the husband enjoying his wife's body and vise versa all throughout and how sex is a positive thing in marriage, not just for creating children (although yes that is the main design for sex according to the Bible.)

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Meanwhile, there are how many unwanted children in the world that need adopting?

I'm serious - SPAY AND NEUTER STUPID PEOPLE!!!
I agree. There's no need to have that many children. But if you are fortunate to have enough money to care for all of them, why not adopt some?

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just worry about those kids going off to college and having so many freedoms and going wild... It cant be easy on them to have that big of an adjustment.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since no one else has raised this question, I will:

If you want to "spay and neuter stupid people" -- who gets to decide which people are stupid, and what criteria will be used?

It's easy to toss out dismissive judgments like that one. But if you think it through long enough to grasp what you've said, you will surely realize that you do not want to live in a society that would even consider such an outrage.

Or if you do... then America is not the country for you.

fantasticfeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first read the title of the thread, I thought "Oh, 17 cats? Big deal, my crazy "cat lady" neighbor has more than that!" Then when I read the thread and found, no, they're actually referring to children... oooooh. First, I can't imagine, as a woman, how her body could endure birthing so frequently.... ooowwwiieee.

Then I thought, this is too close to the three conversations you shouldn't have unless you're up for a heated battle. Religion, Politics, and Abortion... Oh, 4, I forgot about Illegal Immigration.

As with all conversations in regards to the hot 4, I understand the perspectives of both sides, and unfortunately, I have yet to see a reasonable solution to any of them.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just think it's nuts. If she wants to have seventeen kids, then why shouldn't she? I don't agree with it, but if she wants to destroy her own body then so be it.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I just think it's nuts. If she wants to have seventeen kids, then why shouldn't she? I don't agree with it, but if she wants to destroy her own body then so be it.
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

If you want to "spay and neuter stupid people" -- who gets to decide which people are stupid, and what criteria will be used?

It's easy to toss out dismissive judgments like that one. But if you think it through long enough to grasp what you've said, you will surely realize that you do not want to live in a society that would even consider such an outrage.

Um yeah, that!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Well said. I don't want ANYONE or any government for that matter deciding they want to "spay" me or anyone else....doesn't China have a regulation on how many children families are allowed???And look at how that "brilliant" idea turned out

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

If it wasn't for the private and commerical donations they receive, in addition to the money they get from selling their big family story, they wouldn't be able to support that number of children.

They are using their kids as a way to support their family and to have even more kids, and I find that disgusting.

I agree.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nat, Dani, I wasn't aware that the Duggar family had posted their financial statements online for the world to see??? :dontknow: If I recall correctly (It's been a few months since I saw this) Jim-Bob is in real estate, which depending on the market can be a pretty lucrative business. And with shrewd investment, it's possible his family is pretty financially stable, even without what I'm sure is modest compensation from a cable TV network for a one-hour special interest story two or three times a year.

As another PP has mentioned, we are NOT in their home 24/7, and the snippets that we do see on TV are just that, snippets. Ask sarahp how much of her interview actually made the six-oclock news that night, and how much wound up on the cutting-room floor? Media can be manipulated to make you believe what the producers want you to believe. It may be grossly inaccurate w/r/t their day-to-day life.

As for those who say this family is cult-ish: I agree that this family's beliefs are probably in the extreme minority of Christians, but that doesn't make them a cult. They are simply different, more fundamental in their beliefs. Fundamentalism =/= Bad. I will refer you again to the pp who mentioned the Mennonites she's encountered. If the Duggars are raising their children to be responsible citizens, WHO CARES what the kids are doing when they're 'being kids' if that's what they enjoy doing?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I realize I'm not in their home 24/7....don't have finanacial statements....etc.

IMO, that is just plain wrong. I'm sorry...but 17 children competing for mom & dads attention?
I would HATE to be a part of that family.....it would drive me nuts! How do the kids ever get any "me" time? Do the kids ever get to be kids? Makes me sad...

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I d0nt kn0w.... All I can think 0f which might be rude, but my m0ther said this t0 her dearest Aunty as she had 14 children... "W0uldn't y0u be a bit l00se by n0w?"

but as l0ng as they are financially stable and can take care 0f the children I d0n't see a pr0blem with it!

0nce again s0rry ab0ut my keyb0ard being br0ken!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I commented on this family in the IMO thread so I won't repeat it all here, except to say that I think it's up to them how many children they have if they can support them BUT I do worry that the children have a very insular life and will not have a lot of real choices of what they do as adults due to their limited eduation and social skills. And by socials skills I mean the ability to mix with people who have different values and opinions to themselves. By being home schooled and only really mixing with each other and others in their church, I'm not sure how well equipped they'll be to go away to college or live and work in a large city.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as the cultish aspect of it, I have always found Quiverfulls to be slightly cultish, IMO there is something wrong with a religion that tries to bring the world back to 'biblical hierarchy and order' with a subserviant woman, as many children as God blesses them with and a 'breadwinning' father, but it is their religion and their choice.

That being said, when you have to have a chart on the wall just to make sure that each child brushed their teeth (and this 'chart' was something the Duggar's made money from selling to other QF's to ensure everything gets done in a large family) you have too many children. If you can't manage to make sure they got their math lesson, brushed their teeth, put on their PJs etc, IMO, you are not able to give them the love they need and deserve.

As far as their finances, from a previous documentary I watched, it seems that they are at least financially stable and were before having so many children. He was a politician and is into real estate, both buying/selling and renting and available on contract to find the perfect match for your needs etc. They also have made more than a 'modest' amount from TV shows and have had many 'donations' (monetary and actual 'things') as a result of appearing on shows... many corporations give donations to lots of places so as long as they have the money, not from the state system, to care for them, I don't care where he gets the money.