170 Cans of Cat Food for $88: Below or Above Average Deal?

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the opportunity to buy 170 cans for $88. Is this a okay deal? I've never bought more than 48 cans at once. This has multiple brands, flavors, textures, etc. Thanks. :)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would definitely depend on the type of canned food and what size cans. 

I can get around 176  3oz cans of Fancy Feast from Chewy.com on any day for that price. You could also get around over 200 5.5oz cans of Friskies cat food from chewy for that price. But if I was to buy a different type of food that would be different.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's around 52 cents per can, which is a decent price depending what brands. If it's all Friskies or similar brands, not worth it, you could find a better price. If there are some higher-quality brands mixed in, that's not bad.

Where did you find the deal?

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oldglory, prices for Friskies and Fancy Feast formulas from other retailers may be better than your deal.  In my areas supermarkets often discount Friskies to 40 cents per 5.5 OZ can, while the same stores sell Fancy Feast at 55 cents per 3 OZ can.  The caveat is that the variety of Friskies formulas available at supermarkets can be limited.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It would definitely depend on the type of canned food and what size cans. 

I can get around 176  3oz cans of Fancy Feast from Chewy.com on any day for that price. You could also get around over 200 5.5oz cans of Friskies cat food from chewy for that price. But if I was to buy a different type of food that would be different.
I'd also want to know what the expiration dates on the cans is. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This wasn't a deal per se, just something I was going to buy online (never bought cat food online before). Brands were; Fancy Feast, Friskies, 9 Lives, Instinct, and Triumph which I've never tried before. 12 pack - 32 packs. Good deal still? Free shipping.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah, if you've got Instinct in there that would make the price pretty good. Tip: Instinct for dogs and Instinct for cats is the same formula, so you can buy the big dog food cans if you want. Also the big cans of Friskies are more cost-effective.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huh....I didn't know that. Thanks! Does the dog food contain taurine? I can get 12 cans of Instinct for $20 or $22 (can't remember which). I think its from their Protein lines. I've tried the Protein kibble before and my cats liked it.

Last edited:

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Instinct dog food does contain taurine.  Figures it's the one brand my cat refuses to eat so far, lol. 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only feed high quality foods, and avoid "supermarket" and "discount" brands, because I feel that the health of my beloved cats is most important, and I will go without if need be, so that they have the best I can buy for them.  But if you are feeding community cats, it might be a good deal, because you want to entice them to eat (and the "supermarket" varieties usually attract them) so that you can get them TNR'd.  

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't feed community cats (none in my area I see) but I do feed 2 stray toms that come by occasionally. My vet says Friskies and Fancy Feast (without the gravy varieties) are healthy and low carb which is what cats need. I rotate between higher end foods and cheaper. I rarely if ever buy any kibble with grains in it. I'm more relaxed about the canned foods I choose. To each is own I guess.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with rotating between higher end and cheaper if it's grain-free, etc. Unless your cats eat anything though, I'd go to a store if you can and buy one can each of the brands you haven't tried before you order. I'm stuck with Fancy Feast wet food and Nutro Natural Choice wet food after I stocked up during sales. My cat suddenly stopped eating them and just refuses them now. I have to donate them now.