17 yr old Maine Coon acts hungry, won't eat, has great teeth

LokizMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good evening, My Maine Coon (Kitten Pie) has started this routine where she acts hungry but will only lick her food. I have tried several brands of wet and dry food, baby food, squeeze snacks, soft treats, canned chicken and canned tuna in water. She licks but eats hardly anything. The vet gave me pills to increase her appetite and they worked for a few days and then stopped being effective. Kitten Pie has great teeth. I've heard good and bad things about Royal Canin, should I try that? Do you think she would eat boiled fresh chicken; I ask because she won't eat the canned chicken. I love this cat, she's family. I know she's old for a rescue, but I can't stand for her to just starve to death. ANY help is appreciated.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. There are a ton of medical things that can go on with an older cat. If an appetite stimulant isn't working, it is likely because she is nauseous - and appetite stimulants can only do so much. Cats are like babies in the sense that feeling nauseous is often mistaken to be the feeling of hunger.

I agree with the above, in terms of full senior blood panel and urinalysis/urine culture, as a starting point. She is also of the age that she might be experiencing arthritis and if painful that will also affect appetite. And no they don't necessarily have to be demonstrating outward signs of pain - until they get really bad.

I have a 17+ yo, so I know - but I will go to the ends of the earth to make her live out her days in all the comfort I can give her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Along with the great advice above, you could try kitten food (fancy feast or royal canin, my boy loves these with a small amount of water added), and also see if something here might help get things started while you're waiting for the vet appt--both articles and the posts throughout the thread.
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Good evening, My Maine Coon (Kitten Pie) has started this routine where she acts hungry but will only lick her food. I have tried several brands of wet and dry food, baby food, squeeze snacks, soft treats, canned chicken and canned tuna in water. She licks but eats hardly anything. The vet gave me pills to increase her appetite and they worked for a few days and then stopped being effective. Kitten Pie has great teeth. I've heard good and bad things about Royal Canin, should I try that? Do you think she would eat boiled fresh chicken; I ask because she won't eat the canned chicken. I love this cat, she's family. I know she's old for a rescue, but I can't stand for her to just starve to death. ANY help is appreciated.
Some one suggested hills a/d. It's like kitty crack worked for my cat with the same issue. Also weruva. First ingredient is broth. She gobbles up steak frites. If it's something medical,she has lost her since of smell so anything with a strong scent. Also ff classics. Most expensive pate and dry have little smell

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LokizMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would bring her to the vet for a full senior blood panel and Urine test to ensure there are no health reasons why she won't eat. Given her age its very likely she has something going on health-wise.
Do you know how often full panels should be done? She had one a little over a year ago and had a clean bill of health. Thank you for responding!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know how often full panels should be done? She had one a little over a year ago and had a clean bill of health. Thank you for responding!
That probably varies by vet, but for my vets it is recommended twice a year for senior/geriatric cats. Twice a year seems to be the most common for members on this site as well. Of course, if a cat is on medicines - depending on what they are - more frequent blood panels may be needed, especially when they start on a new one.

LokizMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some one suggested hills a/d. It's like kitty crack worked for my cat with the same issue. Also weruva. First ingredient is broth. She gobbles up steak frites. If it's something medical,she has lost her since of smell so anything with a strong scent. Also ff classics. Most expensive pate and dry have little smell
Thank you so much for responding! After reading some threads last night I ordered some of the FF for Seniors and had it delivered today. As soon as I came in from work, I gave her some and she didn't eat all of (gave her about 2/3 of the can) but she ate more than she has at one sitting in weeks.

LokizMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That probably varies by vet, but for my vets it is recommended twice a year for senior/geriatric cats. Twice a year seems to be the most common for members on this site as well. Of course, if a cat is on medicines - depending on what they are - more frequent blood panels may be needed, especially when they start on a new one.
Wow, that often. Very well then.

LokizMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding! After reading some threads last night, I ordered some FF Seniors. I gave her some after work and she actually ate some! I hope this is a sign of things to come :)

LokizMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Along with the great advice above, you could try kitten food (fancy feast or royal canin, my boy loves these with a small amount of water added), and also see if something here might help get things started while you're waiting for the vet appt--both articles and the posts throughout the thread.
Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
I have tried baby food, turkey and chicken and she wouldn't even lick it. The FF Seniors that everyone mentioned worked very well this afternoon (Ordered it last night!), so I am very pleased :)

LokizMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI. There are a ton of medical things that can go on with an older cat. If an appetite stimulant isn't working, it is likely because she is nauseous - and appetite stimulants can only do so much. Cats are like babies in the sense that feeling nauseous is often mistaken to be the feeling of hunger.

I agree with the above, in terms of full senior blood panel and urinalysis/urine culture, as a starting point. She is also of the age that she might be experiencing arthritis and if painful that will also affect appetite. And no they don't necessarily have to be demonstrating outward signs of pain - until they get really bad.

I have a 17+ yo, so I know - but I will go to the ends of the earth to make her live out her days in all the comfort I can give her.
I love my fur babies! Discovered that putting her bowl on a raised surface so that she doesn't have to bend seems helpful. I'll take her to the vet this weekend. Thanks for responding!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, that often. Very well then.
Just like humans, as the body begins to deteriorate - an unfortunate part of nature - health issues are more likely to crop up. Having blood panels done every 6 months is in the hope of catching potential issues before they get out of hand. It also provides a history of even subtle changes that could indicate a trend to watch out for. I chart Feeby's blood work results, as I know I am better about seeing trends than most vets. Vets tend to just look for numbers out of range, and that is not always the whole story.

Last edited: