17 Year Old Male hiding and yowling

EzraPaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.
I’m new to this site. I’m thankful for any advice. My 17-year old baby (feline) has been yowling like he needs to vomit, then doesn’t. He was vomiting last week, I found small amounts in a few different places in the house. But he hasn’t been vomiting this week. He is hiding, over the last 2 days which is new. He’s eating fine. His litter box is normal. Stool is normal. He’s drinking water, same as before.
I’m so confused. I’ve been his “mom” since he was 6 weeks old. We’ve been through a lot. Any ideas? I’m taking him to a new vet tomorrow so I’m trying to educate myself. Thank you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No idea but be sure the vet does a full senior blood work panel. Ask about possible gastrointestinal issues such as IBD which may cause vomiting and an uncomfortable feeling tummy which may result in hiding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EzraPaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No idea but be sure the vet does a full senior blood work panel. Ask about possible gastrointestinal issues such as IBD which may cause vomiting and an uncomfortable feeling tummy which may result in hiding.
Thank you! Any bits of information are appreciated since this will be a new vet. Thanks so much!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Good that you are taking him to the vet, given his age. It could be that he is hiding because feeling like he needs to vomit is scaring him - I say that because he still eating, drinking, peeing/pooping OK. Any chance he has hairballs? Small amounts of vomit can occur when a cat is trying to cough up a hairball and just can't do it. Now, that he is still trying to vomit and can't he still could have the hairball somewhere in his digestive tract. If the vet finds nothing else majorly wrong with him, you might want to consider giving him something to help pass hairballs, such as a dab of butter or margarine from your finger or his paw to lick off - several days in a row for now. If that would be the issue, and the butter helps, then you could give him a dab of it a couple times a week as a preventative measure.

Please let us know what happens at the vet visit! Good luck, and I hope it is nothing serious!