17 week old maine coon Soft smelly stools

IgorandZiwi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there we have two 17 week maine coon kittens that have been home now for 2 weeks. We’re feeding them Ziwi Peak East cape can believe they were on Friskies purée turkey can from the breeder. The male about a week ago we’ve noticed his poops are very smelly, soft and lighter in color closer to orange. He’s been going no problem and there large in size. I noticed the other day after him eating some gurgling in his stomach when he came to play. They have been dewormed twice from the breeder before we got them. They both just had rabies shot about a week ago and seems like around that time or soon after we’ve noticed this. Any ideas thank you!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you change their food as soon as they came home? Or did you slowly introduce them to the new food while still feeding what the breeder was?

If you switched over completely, that could be the problem. Some kittens have more sensitive tummies than others, hence why most breeders suggest keeping the kittens on the same diet as they were eating for a month or so, the slowly transition over to what you prefer.

You may want to go back to the Friskies and see if that improves things. If it does, there's your answer. I would then slowly add the new food to the old food day by day (7-10 days for the switch) until finally you are no longer feed Friskies.

What also occurs to me is some kittens can react to vaccines and it might make them more lethargic or cause other issues. So, it also could be that.

Last did your vet test for parasites? They are quite common, even when a kitten comes from a reputable breeder. Our MC had coccidia, with no symptoms, but had to be treated nonetheless. Our vet routinely does fecal testing for all cats that come to a new home or we may not have caught it!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would give the Vet a call. I say this because you mentioned the color is orangish. That can be a sign of something wrong besides a change in food. I would call them and just tell them what is happening and let them decide whether they should see the kitten or think changing back to the original food first might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IgorandZiwi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok thank you we did switch him over using the friskies but only about 4 days as we ran out. He didn’t show any signs initially as he went onto the new food , is it odd that it would show up some time after? I will switch back and see if this helps. The ziwi peak east cape has multiple proteins going to go back to there original or another similar single protein .

thoughts on a probiotic? Vitality science pet flora we’ve used in the past for our last MC

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok thank you we did switch him over using the friskies but only about 4 days as we ran out. He didn’t show any signs initially as he went onto the new food , is it odd that it would show up some time after? I will switch back and see if this helps. The ziwi peak east cape has multiple proteins going to go back to there original or another similar single protein .

thoughts on a probiotic? Vitality science pet flora we’ve used in the past for our last MC
I used probiotics for our kitten for quite some time. Some say they are useful, some not. Some better than others. I used Fortaflora bt I'm sure there are other brands that are better (or not). I take them when using antibiotics and do think they are helpful. They certainly won't hurt.

There could be a protein in the new food causing the loose stools. Cats certainly can have food allergies.

Again suggesting another hands on vet visit since they will be able to address all of your concerns.

IgorandZiwi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you change their food as soon as they came home? Or did you slowly introduce them to the new food while still feeding what the breeder was?

If you switched over completely, that could be the problem. Some kittens have more sensitive tummies than others, hence why most breeders suggest keeping the kittens on the same diet as they were eating for a month or so, the slowly transition over to what you prefer.

You may want to go back to the Friskies and see if that improves things. If it does, there's your answer. I would then slowly add the new food to the old food day by day (7-10 days for the switch) until finally you are no longer feed Friskies.

What also occurs to me is some kittens can react to vaccines and it might make them more lethargic or cause other issues. So, it also could be that.

Last did your vet test for parasites? They are quite common, even when a kitten comes from a reputable breeder. Our MC had coccidia, with no symptoms, but had to be treated nonetheless. Our vet routinely does fecal testing for all cats that come to a new home or we may not have caught it!
no they did not test for parasites, they were too busy pushing vaccines that they already had but thats a whole other story. I will see what they say about that thanks

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
no they did not test for parasites, they were too busy pushing vaccines that they already had but thats a whole other story. I will see what they say about that thanks
Some vaccines need multiple doses for full effectiveness. Usually a breeder will give initial vaccines and the new owner is to follow up with the rest of them at the appropriate age. Especially true if the breeder let the kittens go home too young.

IgorandZiwi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The distemper they were given only needs 2 doses per the manufacturer especially since there 2nd dose was given while they were on solid food so no worries of colostrum from mothers milk interfering.