16 Year Old Cat With Suspected Squamous Cell Carcinoma (oral Cancer) Or Eosinophilic Granuloma

catmom1977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I lost 2 of my cats this past year and a half and I'm worried I'm going to lose my 3rd.

Jacques had a dental at the end of March with no issues. In the last month, he was becoming noticeably thin and acting like he didn't feel well. I took him to the vet and they said his mouth was really inflamed and there was one big sore where he had an extracted tooth. The vet said it could be a tumor but we could try a 2-week antibiotic to see if it was hopefully something else and if it was still there we'd do a biopsy.

I took him in today and although the sore was still there (about an inch long toward his upper back molars) she said it looked less angry and we should try another two-week antibiotic and steroid. She seemed to want to put off the biopsy. The more I read the more likely it seems to be cancer. I'm going out of the country in a month for two weeks and I'm really worried that he might get worse during this time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom1977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every fiber of my being is saying this is cancer and that I should have it biopsied rather than waiting. If it's cancer I want to cancel my 2 conferences coming up to spend time with him while I can.

I'm also super annoyed that my vet says they can't find/never took dental records when he was in there at the end of March.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Hopefully, the additional 2 weeks on antibiotics will help his mouth improve. Losing 2 siblings so close together can really stress a cat (and you) so his immune system is probably strained. Are you adding immune support such as L-lysine and probiotics? Also, you could ask your vet about adding slippery elm and marshmallow root herbal preparations to his regimen; both herbs are considered beneficial for healing mucous membranes.
Sending prayers and vibes for your boy's speedy recovery :vibes::vibes::vibes: