16 Year Old Cat - Breathing Problems

gordonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had 16 year old Brady for 8 years, and all that time he has had IBD, but otherwise fairly healthy. Had a tumor on his back that burst, so we reluctantly agreed that he needed surgery to remove it. He survived anesthesia well and the 4 inch incision is healing beautifully. On Sunday, about 1 week after the surgery, he started suddenly having breathing problems - open mouth with tongue out and panting. Rushed him to emergency animal hospital - they were great, even thought they don't know him. Put him on oxygen immediately, gave him time to calm down, then did exam, bloodwork, xrays. When all turned out normal, but still not breathing well, they sedated him and did a full mouth and throat exam. Still nothing. He was in oxygen cage for about 16 hours, they gradually weaned him off. Plan was to wait a day then do CT scan and endoscopy. Vet called me yesterday morning, very surprised and happy that his breathing had dramatically improved overnight, so they released him last night when I assured them I was comfortable looking after a sick cat (lots of previous experience!). They gave me all kinds of advice and told me what to watch for. They still don't know what caused it. he is lethargic, eating, but very little, has a runny eye, and noisy breathing. (This was all acknowledged on his release). It now appears maybe to be an upper respiratory infection, however he has been on antibiotics since the surgery (clavomax). Anyone have previous experience with this? If he gets worse, they said they will go ahead with CT/endoscopy, but this guy has tolerated so much already.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry to hear about Brady's problems - poor guy! I don't have any direct experience with this, but hopefully other members who do will find time to log on and read your post and be able to offer you some insight.

It's unfortunate that they just didn't go ahead with the CT/endoscopy while they had him. But, it is what it is...

Did they take a swab of his nose and/or eye? They could have tested that to see what kind of infection may have shown up and then been better able to determine if Clavomax was the appropriate antibiotic.

Does he receive regular vaccinations? Feeby at her age (14+) no longer receives the FVRCP vax, but she also in an indoor only cat. Does he still get this vax, or go outdoors at all?

You could also try to see if putting him in an enclosed bathroom with hot water running in the shower (steam) might help, or use a vaporizer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gordonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your insight! Brady is only indoor as are all of my cats. The doctor hesitated because I was already at $2000 in medical bills just since Sunday and this would have doubled it, but if he felt it would have been helpful, I would have done it. He also thought Brady had enough trauma for the week - already anesthetized twice and would have had to do it again. I am going to ask if they did the swab rather than just assuming they did, especially because at the beginning they did not think it was an infection. And yes, all vaccines up to date but no more FVRCP. Also, none of my other cats are exhibiting any symptoms.

I plan to bring him back to my vet anyway to get his stitches removed so will follow up further. Thanks again for giving me food for thought!