16 week kittens

Jillnat77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I recently (3 days ago) adopted two kittens from a shelter. Their mother was feral and she was trapped and released while the babies were out in a cage for adoption. Male and female (twins) both are fixed. We have been keeping them in a large play enclosure with litter box, toys, food and water.
So here is the problem…
Male hisses every time we approach him. He might do it once or several times. Almost immediately he will allow us to pet him. Whole body, we can tough his head, face, paws, tail and stroke his whole body. Yesterday day 2 he started purring. But the hissing!!!

Female does not hiss and will also slow petting.
she tends to be more playful and purrs very loudly but absolutely will not be picked up.
I have tons of scratches on my hands from trying to hold them. Both will eat treats out of my hand.
Did I adopt them too old? Will this behavior change? Is it just they they are new and scared? The shelter said “they’ve come a long way” but now I’m worried about what they really means. The hissing is very worrisome and I hope they’ll grow to be loving lap cats.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very important that you don’t try to hold them. The hissing is just the kitten’s way of letting you know they don’t quite trust you get and when you attempt to pick them up this just reinforces their feeling they cant trust you yet. They will get there but you have to give them time and have patience. What you can do to help them relax and trust you is sit on the floor and offer them a treat, use toys like a wand to get them to play and relax and pet them IF they come to you looking for attention.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They've gone through SO many changes in their short lives. Just relax, and let things happen. Your little boy is just a bit frightened still. Give him time. Keep petting him as you have been, and let him learn that you are to be trusted. I doubt it takes long at all. The hissing isn't aggression, if he allows you to pet him. He's just telling you he doesn't quite know what to make of you yet.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to say its like courting a shy member of your preferred sex. If you think of it that way, grabbing and forcibly stroking is obviously out. Instead, do what they like. They might be willing to play with a lure toy. Bring gifts (treats). And ok, the analogy breaks down right here, but the first context that many kittens will allow petting is when sleepy. Once they are out and about, they may also have a favorite spot where they will allow petting, usually the same spot where they like to nap.

The playpen situation isn't ideal. Kittens are usually started in a "saferoom", generally a bedroom. This does a few things that a playpen does not. Firstly, it allows you to be quiet and chill near the kittens. Ok, maybe you can chill near the playpen. Secondly, it allows the kittens to come to you when they want too. Thats a big one, really makes it easier to bond. Thirdly, it sort of mentally sets their home base to that room, so that they run there when they get scared. That is useful, because every 6-12 months or so we have some poor poster tell us about their new cat hiding in the walls and its often a terrible ordeal. And there are other undesirable places kittens can find to hide. None of it is too big of a deal (well unless you get very unlucky) but you could consider transitioning to a bedroom.

Last edited:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep the faith! I agree, that a small room is better than a playpen. Spend some mellow time with them in there. If the girl progresses a lot quicker, maybe do some 1on1 time with the boy in the room. I had some hissy kittens who ended up being the biggest love bugs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jillnat77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. We loved them into my bathroom (it’s a decent size) and will soon give them more freedom but by not.
He is hissing still but I will say less. The both allow petting and this morning even jumped on my lap while playing. Still no snuggling.

But this morning big issue…one of them peed on their soft bed. This is a bed that they have both slept in from time to time. What a mess!
So confused because the litter box is in the room and they do use it for both poop and pee. I don’t understand why they would pee in their own bed. It’s a super clean box. I scoop it every time I notice any poop. It was completely clean when the accident happened. It’s the breeze so their urine goes down onto a pad and that gets changed regularly.

Jillnat77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. We moved them into my bathroom (it’s a decent size) and will soon give them more freedom bit by bit.
He is hissing still but I will say it’s definitely less. The both allow petting and this morning even jumped on my lap while playing. They will eat out of my hand and accept treats from me. Still no snuggling.

But this morning we have a big issue…one of them peed on their soft bed. This is a bed that they have both slept in from time to time. What a mess!
So confused because the litter box is in the room and they do use it for both poop and pee. I don’t understand why they would pee in their own bed. It’s a super clean box. I scoop it every time I notice any poop. It was completely clean when the accident happened. It’s the breeze so their urine goes down onto a pad and that gets changed regularly.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are not always perfect with litterbox compliance. Use an enzyme cleaner and remove the cat bed for a while. Unfortunately, you'll have to watch your own bed, especially if there is a winter comforter on there. Anything soft that can be kneaded can be a target, such as a bathmat or clothes left lying on the floor. This does not mean there will be long term problems, but there could be some annoyance with this for a bit.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF the peeing on soft surfaces keep up, but they continue to poop in the box, a vet check may be in order. IF one of them has a UTI, and peeing is uncomfortable, then that kitten will associate the pain with the box, not its own body. Happens all the time. Cats can, and frequently do, develop UTIs from pure stress, and these little guys do have some stress going on.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats have a strong preference for certain kinds of litter. It may be that one of yours doesn’t care for breeze pellets. I would try adding a second box with standard litter plus some litter in it to see if that resolves the problem.

Jillnat77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. No additional accidents since. Hope it stays that way. We’ve given the kitties free access to our first floor. Second floor doors are shut. They are still skittish but seem to enjoy being petted while sleeping. Lots of loud purring and they don’t run away. (I worry they’re putting out of anxiety) They’ll play on our laps if we sit on the floor and use the feather wand. Do not like being picked up but we will keep trying. Hopefully in the next couple weeks they’ll warm up more. We did give the male a pheromone collar and he doesn’t hate it. Anyone have experience with how long it takes kittens to warm up to lay in our laps? Are our expectations too high?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I doubt that the purring is out of anxiety. Not if their bodies are relaxed.

Some cats are never lap cats. It seems to be more a matter of individual tastes, which all cats have, than early upbringing, although ample affection will modify that to some extent. My own cat had very little interest in laps as a kitten/young cat, but became far more affectionate as she got older.