15 year old kitty has cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not make it to the syringe feeding with Smokey. I have syringe fed others and getting nutrition in often improves them. Right now what you describe makes it sound like feeding could give you more quality time. If syringing brings a cat back to eating on their own or to a point of quality of life, then I do it. It’s a decision I base on the individual cat. If a kitty can still enjoy other aspects of life and is not suffering then I would feed that way. If feeding gets them past a part of the condition so they can enjoy life, I would. Find a vet you trust and ask them what they would do if it was their own cat. I do that each time I face this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Casey went to Kitty Heaven this morning. :rbheart:

God helped me find a compassionate, angel of a vet who restored my faith in vets and in mankind. She cried with me and hugged me and confirmed Casey's diagnosis of mammary adenocarcinoma, and told me it was very, very late and she maybe had another week in which she would suffer greatly. She said this kind of cancer is horrible and ugly and even when caught early and treated aggressively in a young, healthy cat, it has a terrible prognosis. The cancer had most likely metastasized to her lungs, because she was barely able to breathe. I feel like Casey gave me a sign last night. She came out from under the bed where she had been hiding, and walked over to me, and instead of sitting hunched over in pain like she has been, she flopped over on her side and let me pet her and purred and purred. But I could tell she was so weak and struggling for every breath. This morning, her breathing was even worse, audible panting. So I called this precious, compassionate vet, and she helped Casey over the rainbow bridge this morning. It was quick, painless, and peaceful. I looked into her eyes the whole time and told her how much she was loved and thanked her for being my cat. For choosing me 2 years ago to see her through her final days on this earth.

I am in shock and keep going between tears and feeling nothing. :bawling: I don't know how I'll ever get over this. But I am just thankful Casey is out of her suffering and in Heaven playing and running. I'll see her again one day.

Thank you for all the love and support here.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are definitely not alone in your grief....we are here to listen and to help in any way we can. You COULD NOT let her suffer, and I truly believe she was at that stage. She was existing, not really living.
Love is spiritual, so eternal, she is at peace because she carries your love. She will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. "Death cannot take that which never dies", your bond of love is unbreakable. You were there for her when she needed you the most. please take comfort in your sweet memories, and take care of yourself.....RIP precious Casey. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
My deepest condolences on the loss of Casey. Gone but never forgotten. :redheartpump: :redheartpump: :redheartpump: If you feel like showing pics and sharing stories about her there is the Crossing the Bridge forum on this site. It may help with the grieving process when you hear from others who have lost their fur babies too and are currently going through the grieving process or have gone through it.

All the best to you during this very difficult time. ⚘
d616e70e45f6ebaf6a5c44f2294cbf31.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so so sorry to hear Casey has gone.

She was very lucky to have you to look after her in her last few years. You did the most compassionate thing you could have done and I know she appreciates that.

We always lock the threads when a cat passes as a sign of respect, so I'll lock this one now. When you feel ready it might help to start a thread in Casey's memory in our Crossing the Bridge forum

Rest in peace Casey, you will be missed

Status
Not open for further replies.