15 year old kitty has cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, all. I just joined this site, and posted our introduction on the New Cats on the Block Forum. My 15 year old Casey, who I adopted 2 years ago, has been diagnosed with mammary adenocarcinoma. I have read all the stuff online, and know it's not good. It started with a little bump on her chest (she had it when we found her) that the first vet I saw said was only a cyst. The vet I am seeing now, removed it and sent away for pathology when it grew suddenly and started bleeding and oozing. The pathology report confirmed cancer. I opted not to take her to the veterinary university 2 hours away where she would have to go to get chemo or any other aggressive treatment because of her age and that the prognosis is poor regardless. My goal is to keep her comfortable and happy for as long as possible.

The problem is she has gone downhill rapidly since her last surgery (about two weeks ago). Eating and drinking very little (but not completely stopped), sleeping a lot, hiding more than usual. The vet is not sure if she is still recovering from the surgery or if this is the natural progression of her disease, although he got all of the tumor in her surgery and does not see or feel evidence of any further tumors. (x-rays and ultrasounds have not been done, but that is the next step). I took her in to the vet today, honestly thinking he was going to say to put her down, and I was prepared to do that for her if so, although I was devastated. But he checked her over and honestly could not see that she was imminently terminal and encouraged me to give her a steroid shot to see if it would perk her up and get her eating more. So we did. I was so grateful to bring her back home. But I know the inevitable will come eventually if not today.

Anyway, I know you cannot give any medical advice here! (I read the post about giving medical advice before posting here! :)). I guess I needed mostly somewhere to get this all out and find emotional support from people who I believe will understand. Most of my friends/family are doing their best to be supportive but they are either tired of listening to me, or they are grieving too, or they are not particularly cat people and so they care but don't "get it", know what I mean? I just never thought this would be so hard at the end. I have never had a pet that I saw through to old age and illness. I had pets as a kid, but my parents made all the decision then, and I didn't really get what was going on. I had a cat and a dog when I was a young adult, but the dog had to be re-homed when he got aggressive with my toddler, and my cat died suddenly at a relatively young age due to a blockage, and I did not grieve for him as much probably because I was having babies at the time. This journey with Casey is a whole different ball game, and more complex than I ever would have imagined. Bless you if you have taken the time to read all this. I just had to get it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Furrballsmom! I have handed her bites to eat of her food and treats (she will only take kibble, she looks at me like I'm an alien if I offer canned or soft food. LOL). So she has had bites here and there. Just probably not enough for sustenance. She is really opposed to me feeding her anything through a syringe or anything, and it takes two of us to hold her down to "do" anything to her, with her kicking and screaming the whole time, so I don't want to do that to her unless absolutely necessary. It's amazing how much fight she still has in her! :angrycat:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It just sucks, doesn't it? Since the vet seems to think that the ultimate prognosis isn't imminent, try feeding her things like baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) to help with her food intake. They are not nutritionally complete but might help entice her to eat. Most vets carry Royal Canin A/D Recovery food, which is nutritionally complete, and is loaded with calories - it seems a lot of cats like it. Both are worth trying.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I apologize for the double post but prompted by feebysowner's post above, I got to thinking there might be something additional in this thread. There are a lot of posts by members, including trying full fat butter, using a flat paper plate and more.

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet say she was in any pain? I’m assuming they would tell you. This is hard but I am positive she appreciates your efforts & being with her in the moment. If she is at all an escape artist I would advise making sure she stays safely indoors, as cats can have a tendency to hide when they don’t feel well.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Margot Lane,
The vet did not really say if he thought she was in pain. He said she didn't show signs of respiratory distress or infection. :confused2: I am definitely keeping her indoors. Funny, she used to try and escape every time I went outside, even sitting at the door meowing pitifully like she was being left out. But she hasn't hardly responded when I go out lately.

FurballsMom and FeebysOwner, thank you for the links to the dietary strategies. I will definitely print this list out try some of these.

I am just so shocked at how much I did NOT know about cat care. Things were a lot different when I was a kid and then into my early 20's with my first fur babies. For one thing we didn't have the internet! And there are so many more options in their medical care. It is a blessing and a curse in some ways, I think. Because we will always question if we are doing the right thing. Or at least, I am definitely questioning everything right now. :stars:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
This website is extremely informative, I think. If it all seems too overwhelming though, you can always take a step back & catch your breath…sometimes just your deep instincts about what your cat needs and expresses can help guide you. I wonder if she might like David Teie’s Music for Cats, which is very soothing.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update on Casey:

Hey, everybody. This will have to be the cliff notes version of mine and Casey's harrowing experience today, because I am just shredded. I called to check in with the vet since he said to if she wasn't better after the steroid shot last week. She isn't. He basically said, well, that was my Hail Mary, and there's nothing else I can do and you should think about euthanasia. Okay he said it somewhat nicer than that, but that was the point. I panicked and thought maybe I had let her go way too long and she was suffering. I called back and asked if I could bring her up and have her put down today.

From the moment I walked in the clinic, I knew I had made a mistake. The doctor I had just spoken to was strolling out to his car to leave. Granted, I told him I wasn't ready just yet, but still. I asked the receptionist who was going to do it, and she said another veteranian we didn't even know. I said, I guess it doesn't matter. They tried to upsell me on all their fancy cremation packages with their slick pictures. I said know. The vet said that they would give her a shot to make her go to sleep first, and then take her back for the euthansia, which would be a SHOT IN THE HEART (WTF????). She said it would take her about 5 minutes to fall asleep. Well, SHE NEVER WENT TO SLEEP. She wouldn't let me hold her, wouldn't lay down, and growled and fought me when I tried to hold her. After about 30 minutes, I called the doctor and said, "She's not going to sleep". The vet seemed unconcerned and said, "Oh, that happens sometimes, she just needs a higher dose". I said, "No, she just doesn't want to die today. I'm taking her home". The vet looked at me like I was insane, and said, rather haughtily, "The fact that she didn't fall asleep has nothing to do with her health". I walked out and will never, ever, set foot in that clinic again as long as I live.

Casey seems okay right now. She never did fall asleep from that "sedative". I pray she can forgive me for today. My baby will die on HER terms and in HER time, and far, far away from that horrific place. After talking to my friend who has many pets and has had to have many put down, she said that the way they planned to do it was cruel and unnecessary. I am just shattered to think what almost happened today, and that I trusted these people with my baby for even one second.

Please pray Casey will forgive me, and if it is not too late to find a good vet, if such a thing exists anymore, that I can find one. I am losing all faith in traditional medicine for animals and people.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know where you are but I do know there are good vets out there. Please, do not put blame on yourself. Your trusted an expert and this cat , like all cats, knows the love in your heart. Not all experts are created equal. Some are just plain burned out. I have met some that have put up a protective wall because they cannot function without blocking some of what they have to do in their practice. The same is true with humans being treated. Go somewhere else. Find a vet you feel you can trust. There are some very good and kind vets out there. Also, make sure the vet you use understands that you would climb mountains to save your cat. Vets often have clients who see their pets as just pets. They need to know that people like us put huge value in every life! The cat is family and you want them treated as such no matter what the circumstances. Look them straight in the eye when you express this. Most will appreciate how much you care.
Now. Last July I went through the last stages of the same condition with my girl Smokey. She was companion to my handicapped daughter who had passed away and then she remained my fluff baby and living link to my deceased child. Obviously very precious and big part of my heart. At first she seemed to have a cyst. After a round of antibiotics my vet realized it could be more. Imaging but no biopsy. We came to the same conclusion as your vet. Keep her comfortable and happy was the goal. More tumors showed up but she was happy. A year was the prediction, at best. I had pain meds on hand but for most of her time she did not need them. When her appetite declined I offered everything! Kitten food was popular for awhile. Wet. Then I was cooking for her. Lol Then it became more things just to please her towards the end and the baby food mentioned above is something I have used to boost many cats, including her. She got Fancy Feast broths and loved them. The shrimp type being a favorite. She went in a time or two for vet checks. My vet just had me keep her tumors clean if any got irritated. Her lungs were clear so…. Then I finally called a cat food supplier and said, “ what else have you got!” I had given her every treat made that I could find. They suggested these. She liked them! Happy day. Funny but they look a little like a chocolate bar that you can break into little squares. She liked the salmon and one that had crab! Fancy Feast Savory cravings. I don’t know why she liked them so much because the rescues here didn’t really care for them. Go figure. Maybe she liked them because they were something different but I was very happy to see her enjoying some them. My heart is completely with you and your kitty.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
God bless you, jcatbird!

I will keep offering her other foods and treats. I have tried several, but she is just so darn picky! Did you ever have to force-feed your baby with a syringe? I have read/heard different things about this, that is can help, but then some articles say it can cause even more of a food aversion. :confused2: My Casey is so independent and finicky and does not even like to be held, even when she is feeling well. So, I'm reluctant to "do" anything to her, know what I mean? But I am not giving up!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I may, regarding handfeeding whether by syringe or by tongue depressor (as I'm doing here with my boy), to my mind getting more calories and nutrition in is paramount, and medicinal supplements which is our situation.

Regarding him, it doesn't seem to have changed his mind, --he still hates what he hates food-wise and still loves other foods 😋

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I left a reply for you on another member's thread. After reading the post above of your experience at the vet when they tried to euthanize Casey, I felt compelled to reply. I agree that Casey is not ready to go yet. I have had numerous cats euthanized over the years (most of them had cancer) and never had one of them not go to sleep. I always made sure the time was right for them to depart the world. If they were suffering and pain killers and other meds were no longer working and there was nothing else that could be done- I always took it as their time to go over the Rainbow Bridge. It seems that Casey wants to be with you right now, but also something doesn't sound right about that Vet. You are making the right choice to not return there.

Please don't torment yourself. You only did what you thought was right. Casey knows you love her and that is why she is still with you right now. Do all you can to make her feel comfortable. I hope you find another vet who has real love for animals and will see if their is any treatment that is still possible for Casey.

I will be praying for Casey and for you. I wish you all the best during this very difficult time. Please take care. :redheartpump:

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I went through cancer and death with my first pet as an adult last year.

My beloved boy was diagnosed with terminal cancer last October by the best vets in the state. I did get a second opinion just in case and they agreed with the original diagnosis. I hand fed him for three months. Hills a/d is very calorie dense and did a good job.

I ended up deciding to put him to sleep while he was still himself and hadn't declined much. Due to the nature of his cancer there was an real risk for severe injury or death if he tried to eat anything on his own so that was a factor too. We could have kept him going for a good while longer but I don't regret calling it early. In fact if I had to do it again I'd make the call a lot sooner. Mostly because there really wasn't any positive keeping him going and it just created a lot of stress for me and my other cat.

That's the only thing I can say: if I had to do it again I'd make the call sooner.

I don't know what the right call is for you and your cat. All I can suggest is finding another vet. A good vet not only understands the euthanasia process (it's pretty simple and quick...like a minute) but gives you the information to make the best decision.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don’t know where you are but I do know there are good vets out there. Please, do not put blame on yourself. Your trusted an expert and this cat , like all cats, knows the love in your heart. Not all experts are created equal. Some are just plain burned out. I have met some that have put up a protective wall because they cannot function without blocking some of what they have to do in their practice. The same is true with humans being treated. Go somewhere else. Find a vet you feel you can trust. There are some very good and kind vets out there. Also, make sure the vet you use understands that you would climb mountains to save your cat. Vets often have clients who see their pets as just pets. They need to know that people like us put huge value in every life! The cat is family and you want them treated as such no matter what the circumstances. Look them straight in the eye when you express this. Most will appreciate how much you care.
Now. Last July I went through the last stages of the same condition with my girl Smokey. She was companion to my handicapped daughter who had passed away and then she remained my fluff baby and living link to my deceased child. Obviously very precious and big part of my heart. At first she seemed to have a cyst. After a round of antibiotics my vet realized it could be more. Imaging but no biopsy. We came to the same conclusion as your vet. Keep her comfortable and happy was the goal. More tumors showed up but she was happy. A year was the prediction, at best. I had pain meds on hand but for most of her time she did not need them. When her appetite declined I offered everything! Kitten food was popular for awhile. Wet. Then I was cooking for her. Lol Then it became more things just to please her towards the end and the baby food mentioned above is something I have used to boost many cats, including her. She got Fancy Feast broths and loved them. The shrimp type being a favorite. She went in a time or two for vet checks. My vet just had me keep her tumors clean if any got irritated. Her lungs were clear so…. Then I finally called a cat food supplier and said, “ what else have you got!” I had given her every treat made that I could find. They suggested these. She liked them! Happy day. Funny but they look a little like a chocolate bar that you can break into little squares. She liked the salmon and one that had crab! Fancy Feast Savory cravings. I don’t know why she liked them so much because the rescues here didn’t really care for them. Go figure. Maybe she liked them because they were something different but I was very happy to see her enjoying some them. My heart is completely with you and your kitty.
After many rounds of antibiotics and worsening sores and infection with my cancer pup, I should have known what I was facing and I think I did but I just didn't want to face it. Luckily my guy is still eating me out of house and home, but I have some back up things ready to go if he decides to get finicky.
I know what you mean by those little chocolate bar kitty snacks. They look like pint sized Hershey's squares. We boarded a kitty a few months ago and they brought one of these treats and I had never seen them before. The manager had done the feeding that evening and everything was wrote out for me for the weekend. The next morning, I went to give this little cat her food. I opened the container and sitting there in the bin of dry food was this.......chocolate bar. For about 2 seconds I stared at it like "WTF is that doing there?" Then I looked at the wrapper and saw it was a cat treat. This is what happens if you do chores before coffee! So I had my coffee and Lola had 3 squares of her treat!

Status
Not open for further replies.