15 Year Old Cat Seems To Be Declining - Not Sure What To Do?

spehert77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a hard post to write. Our 15 year old male Fenway (we think he is 15 - he might be closer to 16) seems to really be declining over the past 48 hours. He has been slowly declining over the past year - but has been active and engaged. I took him to the vet and nothing in particular was found - just that he's getting old and feeling the ravages of age.

I noticed something felt off this past weekend. I was home alone (kids with their mom and girlfriend out of town) so I let the cats (we have 4) spend the night not confined to the kitchen/basement. We generally do this because they keep us (especially the kids) up at night, but often when I'm home alone I'll let them out.

Fenway is generally the most obnoxious. He'll crawl all over me and whenever I move or get up he'll ask for food. He seemed like his normal self on Friday night, but on Saturday night he did not climb into bed with me.

I had not noticed anything too amiss during the day on Saturday. He just seemed like his old self.

Sunday was when I really started thinking something did not feel right. He just seemed very lethargic and while he was not hiding, he wasn't as active as normal.

I worried about him all day on Monday and when I came home from work he was there to greet me at the door - which is normal. I took this as a positive sign and I fed him and he appeared to eat. We went to a baseball game and when we came home, he did not greet us. I found him in the basement. He was awake and alert, but looked uncomfortable. He was not in pain, but he looked sluggish.

He did come upstairs and immediately went into the bathroom and curled up on the bathroom rug. He really hasn't left there since last night. I left him out of the kitchen last night. He did move out of the bathroom to use the box I left for him (a little urine) and at one point I could hear him scratching his paws on the box fan in our room. He was drinking water, but not sure if he's eaten anything.

He's awake and alert. He'll meow when you walk into the room and lift up his head. He'll get up and move if you're getting out of the shower because he doesn't want to get dripped on, but he seems to just not have much energy. He does not appear to be in pain or distress and actually seems to be at peace.

I've gone through this before as a lifelong cat owner. I know I'll make the right decision when I need to make it, but I really don't know what to do at this point. I could take him in, but not sure what could be done for him. He's old and has been on the decline for at least a year. I'm a single dad and money is tight enough that I need to factor it in. If he was clearly fading away and/or in pain and distress it would be no question - I would take him in. My thought is to wait and see how he is when I get home from work and then make a decision.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to take him to the vet and let them run some tests. Don't jump to the conclusion for the worst because of his age. The problem might be something as simple as a hairball or an infection that could be treated with a course of right antibiotics. Senior cats can also have treatable medical problems.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you said you are on a tight budget, but I agree with MissClouseau MissClouseau about the vet visit. At his age, he really should be seeing the vet at least once a year for a full senior check up, including a senior blood panel and urinalysis/urine culture.

Cats are stoic animals, as I am sure you know - so, they can mask pain pretty well, at least until it gets really bad. It might just be discomfort at this point, but better to find out now and treat anything that shows up - to hopefully ward off serious pain.

Good luck and keep us posted!

serval

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd definitely take him in for some bloodwork at least. I've taken the "wait and see" approach in the past and then regretted it when it turned out to be something that would have been more easily treated (and less expensive) if caught earlier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spehert77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies. I will take him in. We have a good vet - one that I trust...which always helps. I'm pretty anxious about going home (from work) today. I'm worried that I'll find him worse off - but also hopeful that I won't.

I'd say he was pretty normal for his age as recently as late last week - I just noticed he seemed to be sleeping more than usual during the weekend. He's always been a cat who likes being out and about - always sticking his nose into our business - so to see him not do that did raise a red flag. He isn't hiding, but he's not acting like himself.

spehert77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to take him to the vet and let them run some tests. Don't jump to the conclusion for the worst because of his age. The problem might be something as simple as a hairball or an infection that could be treated with a course of right antibiotics. Senior cats can also have treatable medical problems.
This is a great point and something I really needed to hear right now. Thanks!!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll chime in and add to the chorus to bring him to the vet.

The one thing you didn't mention, is he eating? This to me would be an extremely important thing to know. If he is, for sure a vet visit is in order and I'd say there's a chance that there's something treatable going on.

Hoping for the best for you and your old man.

spehert77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm taking him in for blood work - but he's bounced back quite a bit. He was at his normal station when I got home - on the shelf near the door - hollering for food. He ate heartily and then spent the rest of the evening as an engaged family member. He's still definitely an "old man" cat - but he seemed quite happy and content last night and this morning.

spehert77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll chime in and add to the chorus to bring him to the vet.

The one thing you didn't mention, is he eating? This to me would be an extremely important thing to know. If he is, for sure a vet visit is in order and I'd say there's a chance that there's something treatable going on.

Hoping for the best for you and your old man.
He is eating. He's primarily a wet food eater. I also supplement his diet with cooked chicken.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm taking him in for blood work - but he's bounced back quite a bit. He was at his normal station when I got home - on the shelf near the door - hollering for food. He ate heartily and then spent the rest of the evening as an engaged family member. He's still definitely an "old man" cat - but he seemed quite happy and content last night and this morning.
That's great news, you must be incredibly relieved!