15 year old cat losing weight

lmg1959

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 15 year old cat Madison was having a problem with diarrhea starting about 4 months ago.  He was having explosive diarrhea that had the most awful odor. I brought him to the Vet and she didn't do any tests.  She just told me to change his diet and gave me an antibiotic.  Nothing changed till I started feeding him Natures variety raw meat, their dry food and now their can food.  He loves it and the diarrhea is gone but his movements are regular but he goes a lot.  Still losing weight.  It seems what ever he eats comes out even though it is a solid movement.  Can anyone help Madison?

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was his weight 4 months ago and now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmg1959

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
a few weeks ago he was 8 lbs and I knew he had lost weight.  I haven't taken him to the vet again so I don't know his weight now but he is slimmer.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs blood tests. Have the vet specifically test for hyperthyroid. Runny poop and losing weight are classic symptoms.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry!  I fell asleep!

It would be good to keep a record of his weight to help with diagnosis.  Do you have a scale?  You could weight yourself and him and subtract your weight.  

Is he crying more for food?  Or is he happier on the raw diet?  It could be that when you switched to the raw diet, that you cut his carbs quite a bit.  That alone could cause the weight loss.  Nevertheless, at age 15, I agree he needs basic lab work that include thyroid panel.  

Last edited:

lmg1959

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will make an appointment with the vet for him. I have his mother too she is doing fine

lmg1959

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks also if I feed them raw meat do I also give a supplement? If so what is it? They do like pumpkin

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks also if I feed them raw meat do I also give a supplement? If so what is it? They do like pumpkin
You are feeding Nature's Variety raw meat cat food, right?  Or do you mean just raw meat?  If it's NV it should have the complete nutrition in it already.  I know the canned and dry food does.  @Kat0121  what do you advise?  

I'll have to try pumpkin and see what mine do with it.  They tasted just a teeny bit in that one can of chicken and pumpkin (Soulistic) but not by itself. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Madison and Timmy are very cute!  Thanks for sharing their pics.

lmg1959

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I give them natures variety raw meat and NV can and NV dry food is this okay?

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure I think it's fine.  I don't think you need to supplement then unless the vet tests for certain vitamins and minerals and finds them to be low.  The vet would have to advise you about that after looking at lab values.  

lmg1959

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Madison went to the vet today he lost 1 pound since the end of March. Did a senior wellness lab profile and fecal ova and parasite test. Will get results tomorrow. Vet said it could be several things. Lymphoma, B12 deficiency, IBS. Just have to wait for test results.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my. I am sorry you and your cat are going through this. It is so stressful. Congratulations on such a long life for this fur baby. How wonderful. I hope the problem is something easily corrected. Sending you lots of prayers and a big hug. :nod:

lmg1959

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was happy with the vet today, someone new. I have a good feeling. Thank you for caring.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes let's just hope it's something easily treatable! I'm glad you like your vet!