14YO Cat, Bloating?

drekiaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

My 14 year old female cat has started getting some bloating the past maybe week or two. She has not gained a single pound since her last vet visit (maybe 3 months ago). She is 6 pounds but much wider than normal.

She went to the vet this afternoon for some routine blood work (she has Hyperthyroidism that is being managed by dermal medication and has for about a year), and we mentioned her new width. Vet was concerned, and we have x-rays scheduled for Thursday morning.

They mentioned it could be so many things, and I'm trying to research possibilities but most of the symptoms aren't lining up.

She is definitely interested in food, but not eating much. She is pooping and peeing like normal, no diarrhea or blood. She still loves treats but has suddenly decided she is not interested in catnip (which she loves). She is becoming more lethargic. She is not a playful cat in general, but does a little bit. She was grooming herself just a few minutes ago.

There is no vomit, her eyes look normal... Any ideas?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drekiaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should also add, her stomach feels hard-ish but she does not at all react poorly when touched.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are so many things it could be. It could be a fluid buildup due to heart conditions, or due to cancer, a mass, any kind of disease that would upset the metabolic balance or electrolytes. It could be diabetes but that would have shown up on blood work. There is just no way to list everything. But with the signs you have described, it is important to find out what is going on. Hopefully you get some answers on Thursday. If her condition declines before then, make sure to let your vet know.

Furrywurrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have seen something that looks like this but I really think you should wait for your vet appointment as opposed to potentially scaring yourself with possibilities.
Hoping it’s resolved and your kitty feels better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drekiaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

So just updating here. They drained about 2lbs worth of fluid from her abdomen, and was given a couple doses of medicine. She came home yesterday, and we have an appointment tomorrow with another vet that can do an ultrasound. Unfortunately it looks like my first vet also didn't give her a comprehensive blood test, so the vet tomorrow will be doing that as well. Nothing unusual on x-rays except a slightly enlarged liver. Could not see bladder. Gas in intestines.

They are waiting for the results from the fluid. My cat did start urinating blood this morning. I picked up some gabapentin for her, which will hopefully help. I don't know yet, I just gave her her dose about 90 minutes ago and she still hasn't had a healthy pee yet but she is finally eating (treat pate only, but I'll take it.)

I don't believe there's an obstruction fortunately as I did find urine with blood. I'm hoping anyway.

Furrywurrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update.

Goodness she must’ve been so uncomfortable with all that fluid, hopefully she’s feeling a lot better now it has been drained.

Let’s hope the ultrasound and blood tests get to the bottom of what’s going on.
update if you can

Sending your girl healing thoughts for a speedy recovery