14weeks British Shorthair weight 1.9lb, is she under weight?

Anhvo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I just pick up my pedigree British Shorthair as a pet yesterday. She’s 14 weeks old and weight 1.9lb. She appear to be a lot skinnier than my other British Shorthair that I had, which is freaking me out. As the breeder said, she just went through neutered surgery and parasite treatment and that is the reason why the kitten lose some weight. The breeder said that she’ll gain weight back shortly and I should not be worry. However, after doing some research, I still found that 1.9lb is too small for a 14 weeks old Brits (3.5 months old). As I saw online, a normal weight for a 4months old Brits should be 4lbs, and that is double her weight now. Is that information correct? And if so then what do I do to help her gain weight? What do I need to expect (like how much weight should a kitten put on a month, how fast can a kitten gain weight, how much should a 14weeks old Brits should weight, etc)? If she’s underweight then is it urgent to bring her to the vet, or should I just stay home and try give her nutritious food? I don’t know if I’m being too dramatic, but she seem so tiny which hurt my heart thinking she was not have enough food to eat the last 3 months. when I hold her, I can feel her rib and spinal. Not to mention the fact that British Shorthair is familiar with obesity, not underweight :(((please help!!! Thank you so muchh!

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Give her kitten food and perhaps supplement it with KMR (kitten milk replacer), in several small meals throughout the day, and offer kibble as well. Allow her to eat as much as she wants.

If you find that she's not gaining weight in a few days, it may be a wise idea to visit a vet.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know about British shorthairs specifically, but as you mentioned they tend to be heavy built cats not slender. The normal rule of thumb is kittens in general should be about at least one pound per month old for the first several months. So that means at 14 weeks she should be over 3 pounds, so yes if she really is 14 weeks then I would say she is very underweight. I would make an appointment with the vet just to rule out anything wrong with her, did she come with any kind of health guarantee from the breeder? The vet may also have some better suggestions on possible supplements to help if just feeding her doesn't help.

At that age they should be given unlimited kitten food, as much as she will eat in a few meals through the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anhvo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Give her kitten food and perhaps supplement it with KMR, in several small meals throughout the day, and offer kibble as well. Allow her to eat as much as she wants.

If you find that she's not gaining weight in a few days, it may be a wise idea to visit a vet.
Thank you so much for your reply. I’m currently give her kitten wet food and kibble, small amount several times throughout the day. She’s been a good girl and eat her food very good. I just wondering if she is too small for her age, and if so then I would be mad at the breeder for telling me not to worry about that 💔

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anhvo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know about British shorthairs specifically, but as you mentioned they tend to be heavy built cats not slender. The normal rule of thumb is kittens in general should be about at least one pound per month old for the first several months. So that means at 14 weeks she should be over 3 pounds, so yes if she really is 14 weeks then I would say she is very underweight. I would make an appointment with the vet just to rule out anything wrong with her, did she come with any kind of health guarantee from the breeder? The vet may also have some better suggestions on possible supplements to help if just feeding her doesn't help.

At that age they should be given unlimited kitten food, as much as she will eat in a few meals through the day.
thank you so much for your response. I’m thinking I’ll give her couple days at home and see how she’ll do, then I’ll bring her to the vet if the weight seem not very positive :( and yes she come with health guarantee, vet record, vacinated and all that. this is very sad to me knowing that there’re breeder that starved their kids like this