13 Years Old Cat

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful news that she is sleeping with you. She is definitely coming along but her hissing means that while you are up and around she is still feeling nervous. This too will probably pass soon. I would hold off on the grooming until she is more comfortable with you touching her. Not certain about her eye, but perhaps you should have it checked out with your vet.

S.Smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, be careful of the treats. I would try some canned food. I've never heard of canned food causing vomiting. Cats need the moisture.
I agree with all of these. In my personal experience even older cats appreciate toys. Maybe pick up one of the wands with feathers or even a shoe lace and see if dangling on a side of the bed or flipping it about a bit will peek her curiosity .. or interest in you :)

S.Smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh! My brother’s cat goes bananas for wet food & I give Milo 3 treats every time I walk out the door because he’s a master escape artist.. on really busy days he ends up eating a fair #. Maybe ease up on them till her stomach settles ?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats were given kibble only with canned cat food being a rare treat. I know that one of them vomited whenever she ate it. The only kind she didn’t vomit from was the kind that was mostly gravey with chicken bits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK. It seems she has hair ball . So every two days she has vomiting and I am sure it is hair. She does not let me to brush her hair or use dry shampoo. What can I do?
She scared almost from everything. even if someone sneeze in the other room she runs under bed.
She rubs her head against my hand but if I try to pet her she starts hissing :(

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One or two raw egg yolks per week seems to help some cats digest hairballs better so they come out "the other end". Some use and egg lecithin product with success. They also make a hairball remedy for cats. Many of those products contain mostly pure petroleum jelly, so you can try using a bit of Vaseline once a week. Just the plain Vaseline without any scents or additives. If you put a dab on her paw, she'll lick it off to clean herself. The yolks are more natural. Apparently the molecules in Vaseline are so large that supposedly they do not interfere with nutrients and pass through the system without any absorption in the body.

Longer run it would be best if you could brush her, or take her to a professional groomer for brushing, or a "lion's cut" where they would shave her. Shaving her is best for warm weather seasons. Perhaps she will be more amenable to being groomed once she's settled in with you and her new home.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats also shed a lot more when they are under stress, like moving to a new environment. I'd bet that she'll have fewer issues with hairballs once she is settled.

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One or two raw egg yolks per week seems to help some cats digest hairballs better so they come out "the other end". Some use and egg lecithin product with success. They also make a hairball remedy for cats. Many of those products contain mostly pure petroleum jelly, so you can try using a bit of Vaseline once a week. Just the plain Vaseline without any scents or additives. If you put a dab on her paw, she'll lick it off to clean herself. The yolks are more natural. Apparently the molecules in Vaseline are so large that supposedly they do not interfere with nutrients and pass through the system without any absorption in the body.

Longer run it would be best if you could brush her, or take her to a professional groomer for brushing, or a "lion's cut" where they would shave her. Shaving her is best for warm weather seasons. Perhaps she will be more amenable to being groomed once she's settled in with you and her new home.
Thank you for the good points you mentioned. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It also occurred to me that my cats might be getting hairballs from my long hair too, since they walk around and then lick themselves while lying on the carpet. So I am trying to vacuum at least once a week now. Just something to keep in mind if you have long hair.

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It also occurred to me that my cats might be getting hairballs from my long hair too, since they walk around and then lick themselves while lying on the carpet. So I am trying to vacuum at least once a week now. Just something to keep in mind if you have long hair.
I vacuum every other days :)

S.Smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Milo eats everything! I no longer own elastic hair ties.. and visitors can’t bring them in either.. will this help him if he’s managed to eat something that may otherwise sit in his stomach??

Attachments

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think that he may have something other than a hairball in his stomach you should mention this to your vet. While hairballs usually pass other things can get stuck and cause a serious issue for your cat.

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to give Lexi caned food, she did not in to it.
She sleeps with me at night I can put my head on her back or stomach but regard to petting he is so picky she usually hisses at me. I know her first owner abused her. She is so scary whenever heard someone walking at home and hides under bed. But regard her vomiting she gets so much better I am sure the stress of being in the new house made the situation worse. I really love her now. At the beginning I scared from her cause it was my first experience ad she growling and hissing nonstop but now I found she is so kind and lovely.:) Yes patient is every thing we both needed. your comments were really helpful in this forum. I am happy I found this website:)

S.Smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to give Lexi caned food, she did not in to it.
She sleeps with me at night I can put my head on her back or stomach but regard to petting he is so picky she usually hisses at me. I know her first owner abused her. She is so scary whenever heard someone walking at home and hides under bed. But regard her vomiting she gets so much better I am sure the stress of being in the new house made the situation worse. I really love her now. At the beginning I scared from her cause it was my first experience ad she growling and hissing nonstop but now I found she is so kind and lovely.:) Yes patient is every thing we both needed. your comments were really helpful in this forum. I am happy I found this website:)
Milo Used to chill like this with me and now he’s just too cool kitty so I think the fact she’s secure enough to sleep with you was awesome. It will work itself out :)

Attachments

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Milo Used to chill like this with me and now he’s just too cool kitty so I think the fact she’s secure enough to sleep with you was awesome. It will work itself out :)
Milo: you are so cute buddy:)