13 week-old Oci kittens with (mild) diarrhea, please advise

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

SILLY ?? do you know how to check for dyhydration?>?
Er, who's silly? Me?

No, not sure how to check for dehydration, please clue me in.

I don't think they are dehydrated and they've been drinking plenty of (bottled) water.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
you pinch there scruff( the fold right between the sholder blade).... IF well hydrated the pinch goes down fast ( under 2 second)... if longer than that they are dehydrated and if it stay s up more than about 4 seconds a ER trip is needed ... I thought it may be a silly question to ask

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even if they are drinking, they can get dehydrated fast. And when they get dehydrated, they don't want to eat. And if they don't eat....you get the picture.

I would hold off on any more major food changes fro at least 4 weeks. Perhaps simply add Cal Nat wet food for the time being. The new home & such drastic food changes would cause major diarrhea.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Even if they are drinking, they can get dehydrated fast. And when they get dehydrated, they don't want to eat. And if they don't eat....you get the picture.

I would hold off on any more major food changes fro at least 4 weeks. Perhaps simply add Cal Nat wet food for the time being. The new home & such drastic food changes would cause major diarrhea.
Just thought I would add that Riley does great on the Cal. Nat. dry, but the wet gives him diarrhea for some reason, so he eats Merrick wet. Hopefully your two won't have that problem if you start adding wet in a couple weeks, but you might be prepared for them having to eat a different brand of wet than dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: It turns out that the diaharrea was bacterial. We did tests for parasites and bacteria because the vet was getting a little concerned at the lack of significant improvement but I think we've discovered the root of the problem, thank goodness. Both kittens are on a course of liquid medication, once a day for twenty days.

If any of you are curious about the specifics, post here and when I get home I'll supply more details when I've confirmed the names of both the bacteria they were tested for and the medication.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, how about that!! Well I'm sorry they have a bacterial problem, but I'm pleased you know for sure and they are getting medication for it
Poor little rascals!!

Hope they improve soon

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Wow, how about that!! Well I'm sorry they have a bacterial problem, but I'm pleased you know for sure and they are getting medication for it
Poor little rascals!!

Hope they improve soon

I'm glad the cause of the problem was found and hopefully they will show improvement in a few days
We've had the same problem going round our foster homes for the rescue I volunteer with.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

The farting will probably calm down as they get used to their diet. Boy oh boy though, those farts are killer. Phew tinky!
and don't kittens go through farting stages anyway?

i remember stoli and luxor going through the farts at about 7-8 months

glad to hear it was a bacterial problem and hope it gets better FAST. it could have been from the water originally.

bene bac - good stuff.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

and don't kittens go through farting stages anyway?

i remember stoli and luxor going through the farts at about 7-8 months

glad to hear it was a bacterial problem and hope it gets better FAST. it could have been from the water originally.

bene bac - good stuff.
Dunno if it's normal for kits to fart, but lemme tell ya, mine all did as kittens... I just attributed it to the food change.. but oh my goodness, if they weren't so cute while they were sitting on my lap being loved with their little butts faced deliberately in my direction. "you stopped petting me" *FART* "you moved and disturbed my sleep" *FART*