13 week old and still nursing

rcooley1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got this momma cat named snuggles from a close friend that just nursed 12 kittens (not all hers). I also took one of her kittens, Tina. Tina is almost 13 weeks old and Tina still tries to nurse :/. My vet told me to separate them for awhile. I had Snuggles to go get spayed and while she was in recovery at my place, I had Tina go stay at my parents. About a week later Tina came back and she is still tries to nurse. Snuggles growls and hisses at Tina, but I do not think Tina gets that she needs to stop. Should I send her back to my parents for a little bit longer? Any ideas please??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi and welcome!

The mom is hissing at her when she tries to nurse. Are YOU doing anything?
If not, I think you could try to reinforce mom´s NO with your No. You too can say NO, and pull her aside with your hand.
You cant protect all the time and for all possible occasions, but it would hopefully paint up the picture for the kitten.
If BOTH moms do says NO, so it probably IS no, for real.

Originally Posted by rcooley1

I got this momma cat named snuggles from a close friend that just nursed 12 kittens (not all hers).
Wow! What an ability! It was almost a pity to spay such a mom!

I hope she got much and first rate nourishment, not least, some extra calcium.
It is possible you must see to give her good nourishment some time, to fill upp the vacancies she surely got.
For example, kitten food. Goat milk if you can get this - milk is known as a calcium source.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rcooley1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I do catch Tina trying to nurse, I do pick her up and tell him a firm No, but last night I woke up the momma was letting Tina nurse. When I am awake and watching Snuggles hisses and bats at her. This is just confusing me even more.

Yes, it was a same to spray a wonderful mom that she was, but I live in a one bedroom apartment with two cats and a dog. So, any more animals I may freak out. lol

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hardly think it's a shame to spay her---after raising 12 she deserves a break!

I once took in a pregnant stray and kept her youngest baby. She let him nurse until he was nearly a year old. . .it looked really funny, too, because he was twice her size. But eventually she wouldn't let him nurse anymore. I would just let the mama cat deal with it. It won't do her any harm, and she will at some point put her foot (paw?) down and not allow it at all.

Be sure to have Tina spayed soon, too! Kittens can get pregnant as early as 16 weeks.

rcooley1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am just afraid of the suture that Snuggles has. I do not want Tina to bite it and break it open or something like that. I also do not want Tina to be nursing to a year old. I think that is just a little weird in my eyes.

Tina is probably will not be spayed anytime soon. We do not let her or Snuggles outside since we live in an apartment complex next to busy roads. The only reason why I got Snuggles spayed was because there was a small chance she could already be pregnant (that is what the lady told me I got them from.) I asked my vet what he thought I should do and Snuggles was in really bad shape from the last 12 kittens, it would be best if i did not risk her life. I felt super bad doing that, but later my vet told me that she was not pregnant.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even a cat who never goes out should be spayed---a female cat who goes into heat multiple times without getting pregnant has a fairly high chance of developing reproductive disease (a vet told me it's not really pyometra. . .but similar). Being in heat constantly is also really stressful for cats (and for their humans! Some cats drive you crazy when they're in heat). And cats in heat are amazing escape artists, so she could get out. But it's true that spaying early isn't so critical if it's not likely she'll get outside.

rcooley1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh my goodness! I did not know that. :/ Thank you! I will go get Tina spayed when I have the money. Thank you so much for the information!