12 Year Old Neutered Cat Sprays Furniture

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It's best if you can first take him to the vet to rule out any potential medical causes. UTI, crystals in the urine, or high urine pH, among other things can cause inappropriate urination. It's also possible he might be developing some arthritis, that makes it hard for him to get to the litterbox on time when he has to go.

For cleaning, a product like Urine Off or Nature's Miracle work best. Cats can tend to return to the same spot to do their business, so if the scent is eliminated, that can help to prevent them from urinating in the same spot again.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this a new behavior? My 7 year old cat Sonny had never had litter box issues until one day he peed on my hubby’s recliner right in front of him. I called my friend who was also Sonny’s foster mom to ask if he had ever done this before. She told me no. She told me to call my vet and get Sonny in for an exam. My vet was booked solid on my day off. I called her back and she called her vet and booked Sonny an appointment there under her name. She even personally helped me get him to the vet and insisted on paying the bill. It turned out Sonny did have a UTI and he was given an antibiotic injection. His normal litter box behavior returned. Based advice from the vet I set up a new litter box in a different location and he started using it immediately. I was told to do this to break any association between the pain from the UTI and his old litter box. Due to my erratic work schedule we signed papers with the vet so that my friend could take him in for follow-up if needed when I had to work. The vet also gave us my friend’s rescue discount. My friend is also our cat sitter. She was so happy that we had an answer for Sonny’s issue that she also took us out to dinner.