12-year old cat won't eat, blood work / ultrasound w/ biopsy done - all normal

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do a GI 2 panel to see what the b12 levels are and if there is pancreatitis. If the b12 levels are low your cat will need weekly b12 shots. When they are low they can feel icky sometimes. Sometimes cats can have both IBD and pancreatitis at the same time. My boy had an ultrasound and Gi 2 panel done due to issues with very soft poop/vomiting a few times a month. Ultrasound was normal but it didnt rule out IBD or pancreatitis. GI 2 panel confirmed it was either mild ibd with pancreatitis or chronic pancreatitis. Unlike your cat, my boy is ALWAYS hungry lol. I would suggest trying something like fancy feast pate and heating it up. If your cat is having sneezing/runny nose sometimes they can't smell the food and won't eat it. Fortiflora is also a great way to entice a cat to eat. Cat with IBD often times does need to be on prednisolone.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, my IBD is mostly under control with Humira and methotrexate. Before that it was bloody diarrhea that got me to get a colonoscopy. I wish it was that easy for my kitty.
But my point was that while I understand that cats' systems and humans' systems are not entirely the same, they are not all that different to have vastly different symptoms. To me, no diarrhea in a cat with IBD is what I would consider unusual, not to mention no vomiting, from all that I have read on this site and others. Yes, of course, it is possible, but certainly not what I have seen/read so far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rogerwhitson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That makes sense logically, but IBD is also a very complicated disease in humans. Two different people have very different presentations, courses, prognoses.

He's been vomiting some today. He's clearly nauseous. He was begging for food, then refusing it, then drooling earlier. Later on, I tried again, and he vomited a little onto the ground - like a drop or so. He really wants to eat, but can't.

Do y'all have bland feeding ideas that are relatively simple? I fed him Hills i/d, which is supposed to be really bland, but he's rejected that as well. I have some yogurt and was thinking of making eggs for him.

rogerwhitson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eggs did not work. He didn't care at all. :/ We might be going to a feeding tube soon.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, can I ask you which 'antibiotic injection' your cat was given?
There's a bit of controversy surrounding 'Convenia'...and if it causes some inappetence.
Cefovecin

Edit to Add:
Also, you've mentioned drooling,...so has the Vet checked his teeth, mouth, and gums thoroughly?
Can the drooling be caused by dental issues,...or from nasal issues?

Last edited:

rogerwhitson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not actually sure. I know I had inappetance before the antibiotic, but it's possible it made it worse. The chart doesn't mention which antibiotic was used, just mentions vitalog and subcutaneous fluids.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not actually sure. I know I had inappetance before the antibiotic, but it's possible it made it worse. The chart doesn't mention which antibiotic was used, just mentions vitalog and subcutaneous fluids.
Oh, that's good that he got sub-q fluids.

Yeah, I think there may be many antibiotics that can cause inappetence, but I would really not allow them to give a second antibiotic "injection"...if it is 'convenia'...only due to the potential for side-effects, and that it is quite long lasting, without being able to reverse its effects.
(that's just me, though,...and also by saying that...I can say that my 7 yr old cat was given convenia, with no ill effects, but having read up about it, I would not allow it for my own cat, again.)

So since your cat had the inappetence...before the actual 'antibiotic injection'...then more than likely...it's not what's causing your cat not to eat.
In terms of the appetite stimulant (i.e. @MidgetMom's point), she said she wanted to see if the steroid / antibiotic would work and not let an appetite stimulant potentially cover up that information. If he still has low-appetite on Monday, they'll work on either a feeding tube or an appetite stimulant or both.
I would definitely try the mirtazapine ear gel, then.

I know that you said the Vet wanted to 'wait and see'...but her reasoning does not really make sense.
Sure, she wanted to see if the 'steroid' would boost his appetite, and if the antibiotic would get rid of any bacterial infection,...but how can an 'appetite stimulant'...actually 'cover up' any information?
I'm not following her reasoning, at all.

You mentioned 'bland diet'...but is there a reason that you don't want to try the Hill's A/D critical care wet food?
In most cases, cats really will eat this food.
If you mix a bit of it with the i/d food you have,...it may 'kick start' his appetite.

He may have some 'food aversion' going on.
So I would also try any of the 'store brand' fancy feast, or whiskas, or even the 'delectable squeeze ups'...just to entice him to eat.
(Plus anything on that list, that FeebysOwner, posted above.)

Definitely get them to check his mouth, teeth, gums, and nasal passages,...the next time, you bring him in.
Because the drooling sounds important.

Last edited:

rogerwhitson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has been the most responsive to Soulsistic Tuna and Salmon Dinner? I can't really get him to eat anything else. We got another anti-nausea and a Depro Medrol Injection yesterday. Hoping those work.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You kind of have to feed him whatever he will eat - so, at least you have one thing he is semi-responsive to. So, another anti-nausea injection, but no follow up pills? I guess he is expecting the Depo-Medrol to kick and help with his lack of appetite thereafter?