12-year-old cat not pooping even after laxative

6151richmondst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For almost the last month, my 12-year-old cat has been vomiting intermittently, sometimes shortly after eating but other times many hours later. At first I chalked it up to either a food sensitivity (our grocery store stopped carrying her usual food, so I had to switch her to a new brand) or eating too quickly, and since behaviorally she seemed otherwise normal (still eating, playing, and toileting appropriately) I didn't think it was emergent. I experimented with different foods, smaller portions, etc., to try to identify a consistent trigger for the vomiting but no luck.

Then, within the last couple of weeks, she began having issues with constipation as well, pooping less frequently than normal and in smaller amounts. More than once I noticed that she would vomit either right before or right after having a bowel movement, inclining me to think the effort of pooping was triggering the vomiting. Since her poops were drier and pebblier than usual, I started mixing pumpkin into her food and that seemed to help until she got wise to what I was doing and started refusing food containing pumpkin. Again, her behavior remained normal throughout: hearty appetite, normal energy level, no lethargy or other worrisome signs.

Until a couple of days ago when her appetite suddenly dropped off precipitously, and I booked her into urgent care. The vet said that her intestines seemed "prominent" upon palpation, and that she showed signs of discomfort when her stomach was touched. Because diagnostics at urgent care are prohibitively expensive, on the vet's advice I opted for a single x-ray (no CBC or other panels as I could not afford them), methadone for pain relief and an anti-emetic to stop the puking, sub-q fluids, and a laxative to get things moving. The x-ray showed moderate constipation without obstipation and no obvious growths or blockages. I asked whether an enema was advisable, and the vet said she didn't think the constipation was severe enough to merit it. She said we were likely looking at IBD or gastritis, and then she pretty much sent us on our way with instructions to follow up with our regular vet. Our appointment is tomorrow afternoon.

She hasn't vomited since receiving the anti-emetic, which is a relief, but she also hasn't pooped in spite of the laxative, which I was told could take up to 48 hours to take effect. She is eating, but it's sporadic and in smaller amounts than usual. She's also disinterested in her regular food, so I've had to tempt her with Churus and baby food.

Anybody experience anything like this before? Any advice on other things I could be doing to encourage her to eat or to help her poop?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At first blush, the methadone is likely contributing to her constipation as it retards motility of the intestinal tract. I don't know what laxative you are using and how much you are giving her, but the dose may need to be increased, or another med used instead.

Aside from that, I would suspect that the food change probably triggered all of this, especially if she wasn't having any issues until after then. You might want to spend some time comparing her 'old' food to the new food(s) and see how much they differ. Pumpkin can go either way, as it can help with loose stools or with hard stools. It is a fiber, and if too much for your cat's system, it can attribute to harder stools. So, in a way, it might be good that she decided she didn't like it.

Canned food is better than dry food due to the moisture content, and encouraging her to drink more is also helpful - numerous water dishes throughout the house that she can drink from as she passes through the areas. Maybe even a water fountain. A couple of drops of olive oil added to her food can be beneficial as well.

Since you have a vet visit coming up so soon, I am not sure there is much you should change beforehand. But do be sure to ask about the laxative and the pain meds.

Let us know how the vet visit goes.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When both of my cats were constipated (at the same time no less), our Vet had us give them each Miralax twice a day, AND had us give them Laxatone at an increased amount until they had a nice big bowel movement. Since you have an appointment tomorrow, you might ask about that.

In the meantime, just encourage her to eat and DRINK what you can. Keeping hydrated, as mentioned above, is a key factor in staving off constipation, but also helps when they are, especially if you get the go ahead to use Miralax (or the equivalent store brand). And if you are advised to use it, don't forget that it needs to be dissoved in some water before giving it. Sometimes Vets assume we already know that and will only tell you how much to use, not HOW to use it :sigh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

6151richmondst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info, folks. Our appointment is in just a couple of hours, which is good because I'm back to being worried about her. She ate yesterday after a dose of mirtazapine (with an enthusiasm I haven't seen in a few days, and which made me cautiously optimistic), and a few hours later I found poop in the box that I'm about 75% sure was hers. Impossible to know absolutely with two cats in the house since I didn't see it happen, but the hallmarks suggest it was her and not my other cat. The poop (TMI alert, sorry) was light in color and tinged with a small amount of bloody mucus, which is concerning, and which I will of course bring up with the vet. It was also sort of... fluffy? It was formed, but had a pudding-like texture which I attributed to being given an osmotic laxative at the vet.

Today, though, she's back to not eating. She's turned her nose up at kibble, Churu, baby food, and even tuna. I've given her more mirtazapine and cerenia for nausea, but nothing so far (other than the fact that she's now avoiding me because I keep force-feeding her gross medications).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope things go well at the vet. Ask about the transdermal form of mirtazapine so that you don't have to give it to her orally. It can easily be adjusted dosage wise too. Not sure I have much to offer about the cerenia, but there are other meds and other ways to get cats to take meds besides force feeding them to her - we can talk about that later after you come back from the vet visit.

6151richmondst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At the vet now and it's not looking good. The vet said she's jaundiced, which implies liver disease and usually comes with a poor prognosis, and that she can feel a "highly irregular" mass in her abdomen. Wondering why that wasn't detected at urgent care on Friday. She's getting us estimates for bloodwork and other tests. I'm incredibly stressed out and kicking myself for not recognizing the severity of the problem sooner.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There may be something going on that has progressed since the urgent care vet visit. If so, that is more a positive sign than a negative one, as it can mean something more acute than chronic. While acute has its own issues, sometimes it can be more quickly treated. Hope that is the case.

Just trying for good vibes. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

6151richmondst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ultrasound confirmed an irregular mass on her liver that the vet says is cancer. The options I'm looking at are euthanasia or palliative care.

Perspective welcome. My head is swimming.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ultrasound confirmed an irregular mass on her liver that the vet says is cancer. The options I'm looking at are euthanasia or palliative care.

Perspective welcome. My head is swimming.
I am so sorry to hear this diagnosis. I was reading this thread, hoping for better news.
Do they think her quality of life is good, or can be improved upon?
I have personally done both. Euthanasia was done when the quality of life was 100% gone, but if improvements were possible and seen, palliative care is what I did. Neither choice is wrong IMO.
Hugs to you. I am so sorry.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't say it any better than above. QOL has to be measured - by you. Palliative care that can control issues like pain and sustenance allows you and your cat to prepare for the inevitable without it being at your cat's expense.

No other options - like chemotherapy? Your cat is not that old.