12 Year Old Cat Leaking Blood Out Of Anus

catlady99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My twelve year old cat has been leaking blood out of her anus for about a week and a half. It first started after she had thrown up and had diarrhea, and when I got home that night there was blood everywhere. I immediately called the vet and described it to him, and he said to wait a day and if it continued to come in, but it might just be irritation from the diarrhea. It slowed down, and I didn’t take her in the next day because it seemed to have stopped. Cut to today, she has seemingly started to just be leaking blood randomly, and has very pale gums. I have called the vet and will be coming in tomorrow to get her checked out. I’m worried that I must’ve have missed something! She is generally a shy cat so her hiding out wasn’t worrying to me, and she has been drinking fine, just eating a bit less which I thought was just due to an upset stomach from the diarrhea. Is there anything I should do until tomorrow, or expect tomorrow at the vets?? I love this cat and I am so worried that I did this to her

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I highly doubt something that you did caused this.

I am not going to guess as to what is wrong as I am not a vet, but I can give you ideas about what you will be in for tomorrow at the vets:

1) x-rays to see if there is some kind of blockage in the instestines that is causing strain or if something sharp cut her on the inside. $100 where I live for 2 shots/angles

2) Subcutaneous fluids to keep her fluid/water levels at norm since she is losing some from the blood loss. $30 where I live

Sorry I cannot offer more, but I hope she gets better soon!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So glad you are taking her to the vet! What ever is going on is likely due to her age - as so many things can start to go wrong as they (and us) age - and not something you've done.

If she hasn't had one already/recently she should receive a full senior check-up including a senior blood panel while she is there. There is clearly something wrong, and it may take a few tests to narrow it down. They will likely want to take a fecal sample, and possibly even urine as well. And as FelisCatus FelisCatus said, an x-ray, and possibly fluids if she appears dehydrated.

Good luck at the vets, and I hope the problem is something simple that can be treated easily and effectively - and, quickly.