12 Week old Kitten home cooked diet help?!

hizerslougha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Biggie Smalls is currently about 12 weeks old and I've been trying to figure out a good home made diet to feed him. He's a Maine Coon mix (EX-FERAL), any suggestions, pointers or links anyone can help me with? I'm afraid he's not getting all the stuff he needs from basic kitten food.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Biggie Smalls is currently about 12 weeks old and I've been trying to figure out a good home made diet to feed him. He's a Maine Coon mix (EX-FERAL), any suggestions, pointers or links anyone can help me with? I'm afraid he's not getting all the stuff he needs from basic kitten food.
I have never tried home cooking  for my pets because a lot goes into  it . You need to make sure the recipe has the proper balance of the  right ingredients to be sure they are getting the proper nutrients .   I was always too nervous to attempt it . Here is a website that may help you ..

https://www.petdiets.com/

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Catinfo.org is a good reference for home prepared diets. 2cats4me is correct in saying that you do have to make sure your homemade meals are properly balanced with the correct vitamins/minerals.

What are you currently feeding Biggie Smalls?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hizerslougha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Currently it's a mixture of Purina Kitten chow Friskies kitten canned food and some milk (cat)  here and there. I've got him a bit spoiled with the wet food. Three times a day (amounts to one can split three ways). I leave a bowl of the dry food for him to have in between. My boyfriend was mixing the wet and dry but, now my bf has suggested he is eating too much wet food and the past day it's been dry food only.

hizerslougha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I have never tried home cooking  for my pets because a lot goes into  it . You need to make sure the recipe has the proper balance of the  right ingredients to be sure they are getting the proper nutrients .   I was always too nervous to attempt it . Here is a website that may help you ..

https://www.petdiets.com/
Is that a paid service? It was asking for my address?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Currently it's a mixture of Purina Kitten chow Friskies kitten canned food and some milk (cat)  here and there. I've got him a bit spoiled with the wet food. Three times a day (amounts to one can split three ways). I leave a bowl of the dry food for him to have in between. My boyfriend was mixing the wet and dry but, now my bf has suggested he is eating too much wet food and the past day it's been dry food only.
Wet food is much better for them than dry any time.  He can never eat "too much wet food" in my opinion.  So the dry is good to leave out all day but he does need to have some wet put in.  Kittens like to and should have access to food all day.  So this is good in my opinion again.

hizerslougha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Wet food is much better for them than dry any time.  He can never eat "too much wet food" in my opinion.  So the dry is good to leave out all day but he does need to have some wet put in.  Kittens like to and should have access to food all day.  So this is good in my opinion again.
Is any wet food okay? Or should I stick to the friskies kitten kind? I've given him some other brands not for kittens as well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food is better for cats. . .IMO 50% of the diet is the most dry food a cat should have. But of course 100% canned/homecooked/raw is fine too, as the budget allows. Most canned foods are approved for "all life stages" so are fine for kittens. But do check the can to make sure. I didn't know Friskies made a canned kitten food? Although I use Fancy Feast kitten food a lot.

Here are our resource threads:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264153/home-cooked-cat-food-resources

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263955/helpful-resources-raw-home-cooked-cat-food-forum

Strombeck's site (the first one linked to in the homecooked thread) discusses the nutritional needs of growing kittens so you can make sure you're providing everything he needs.

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, buy Wellness or Iams.  They have good wet food.  Friskies and Fancy Feast is OK and better than dry but many don't like the preservatives it has in it.  But it's better than dry.  Stick to your budget and whatever kitty will eat happily.  Just don't drive yourself crazy about it.  Anything but Special Kitty or generic store brands.  Switch it up is good once in awhile, too.  Cats get bored with the same ol, same ol.  Just make sure it's used to the food you switch it up to so you don't make it sick.  I have a couple of brands I switch between just for variety and to keep kitties happy.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use premixes to make a balanced raw diet.  Just be  sure to read the directions so you know if you need to add liver or bone. 

I use the www.catinfo.org recipe and make my own raw.  It's not hard, but you need to be sure to have a certain amount of bone, liver, taurine, and etc. in the food so that kitty gets a properly balanced diet.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless your cat has a specific issue like kidney failure and needs a veterinarian-approved recipe, I'd go with free recipes.

hizerslougha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, thanks guys! He needs to go back to the vet, he's got a swollen lymph node, or what appears to be. So I'm going to do that before I start a new diet.