12 week old kitten doesn't clean his bottom

purplemilkywayy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My kitten is 12 weeks old. He finished all of his medication for Giardia a couple of days ago, so his poop is no longer soft/runny. However, even though his poop is hard enough, his bum is always dirty after he poops (stuck on his anus). Today, his poop was softer than usual (and more green) and a big clump got stuck on his fur. He cleans his paws and legs all the time but doesn't clean his butt too often. 

I usually wipe him with a soft warm towelette... But would I have to do this forever? Do kittens eventually get better at cleaning their own bottoms? Did the Giardia come back? 

Thanks!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sure he will begin to groom himself better as he gets older.

However, have you taken him back in for a follow up fecal to make sure the Giardia is gone? I have dealt with many cases of Giardia that takes more than 1 course of meds. It sounds like his stool is still not normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purplemilkywayy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I wait a couple more days, or bring him to the vet right away? His previous owner told me he had Coccidia, but his medical records say Giardia. 

What is normal kitten stool supposed to look like? Is it normal if it smells really bad? 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
At 12 wks he should have solid, normal cat stool. No, it should NOT be fowl smelling (although, it is poop, so, obviously *some* smell!)

I would get him in for a recheck as soon as you can, but, this is not an emergency situation, unless there are other symptoms (not eating, lethargic, vomiting, fever, etc.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purplemilkywayy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll bring him to the vet tomorrow then. I just assumed all poop are supposed to smell bad. But other than his poop getting stuck on his butt/fur, he's doing pretty well. Eating, drinking, sleeping, and playing a lot.