12 cats in cat rooms how many litter boxes do i need?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! How do you keep your floor so clean? I'm forever sweeping after my kitties.

jlc20m
Very much depends on the type of litter, some track more than others. No tracking here

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My #1 reason for using wood pellets: I HATE those little bits of clay tracking all over!  Pellets don't stick to paws as the cat walks out.  

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well..... just out of shot on the wall to the right hangs a hand vac. I love that thing!!
  First I sweep it back in that direction, then just vacuum it all up. The Feline Pine doesn't track to bad. That's also the reason for the little rug there, to help. I also loved the F.P. pellets instead because of the no tracking, just a few pieces would be outside the box. Whatever stuck to his feet.

BUT, sense he has had a few bouts of cystitis again, I have to stick w/ the clumping. I like Feline Pine because it's all natural, & I'm concerned, because cat's lick their paws. I don't want him licking any chemicals. I am going to have to start mixing in some of the corn litter because the F.P is just getting to expensive. That's probably what I'll cut it with. The clay just makes to much dust.

Believe me, I am always cleaning up too. I told Angel he needs to give mommy a raise!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well..... just out of shot on the wall to the right hangs a hand vac. I love that thing!!
  First I sweep it back in that direction, then just vacuum it all up. The Feline Pine doesn't track to bad. That's also the reason for the little rug there, to help. I also loved the F.P. pellets instead because of the no tracking, just a few pieces would be outside the box. Whatever stuck to his feet.

BUT, sense he has had a few bouts of cystitis again, I have to stick w/ the clumping. I like Feline Pine because it's all natural, & I'm concerned, because cat's lick their paws. I don't want him licking any chemicals. I am going to have to start mixing in some of the corn litter because the F.P is just getting to expensive. That's probably what I'll cut it with. The clay just makes to much dust.

Believe me, I am always cleaning up too. I told Angel he needs to give mommy a raise!!
hahaha I bet Angel wont hahaha I might have to go back to the stupid save a lot clay litter or clumping litter I just calculated how much I pend on cat food n litter it was allot so lat night i was racking my brain trying to figure out something cheaper and i did cat food i calculated would be over 100 dollers less and the cat litter about 40 less now the dogs i didn't do them yet

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going to have to start mixing in some of the corn litter because the F.P is just getting to expensive. 
Oh, yeah, I don't buy actual Feline Pine, I just use wood pellets and as far as I can tell, they're the exact same.  You get them either as livestock bedding from a tractor supply or as fuel for wood pellet stoves.  It's by far the cheapest of any cat litter option available.  Besides dirt, I guess.  

pbmaltzman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ii've been using Jonny Cat Complete, which has been available at Big Lots for $3.00 for a 20-pound bag (just went up to $3.25).  I got sent an e-mail about using zeolite for cat litter.  I know that my covered litter boxes use zeolite air filtes.  Has anybody here used zeolite for cat litter?  It looks, so far, like the shipping charges are more than the actual stuff itself.

Also... do you use the same quantity?  How often do you have to lift out the Tootsie Rolls?  And how good is the odor control compared to regular cat litter?  I wouldn't mind finding and using something better than the clay litter I've been using, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, and I also don't want to have to scrape the boxes all the time.  I have 6 cats, and have 4 large covered boxes plus a monster-size open box for them. 

Sometimes I wish I could sell off the used litter to someone who would use it for compost.  Make the cats earn their keep, so to speak!  LOL!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't use carnivore poop for composting :tongue2:. Although I think that people who use wood pellets can use the urine-soaked pellets for composting once the poop is removed.

I've seen zeolite litter (at Menard's, of all places), but it's so light I'm afraid the cats would tip the boxes over. Like styrofoam. I'm sure it's super absorbent but I just don't know if it would work out. I imagine you'd want to scoop the poop every day like any litter. Nobody wants to use a dirty bathroom, even if it's not very smelly!

So I decided I wanted to try Jonny Cat after reading the good experiences here. I went to Petco and Petsmart, and neither had it, not even an empty spot on the shelf where it should have been! Even though they were listed on the Jonny Cat website's store locator! But I know I saw it somewhere. . .and you reminded me, it must have been Big Lots. I'll have to look there next time.

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can use carnivore (and even human) poop for compost, but it takes significantly longer for it to be safe to use in edible crops. I believe it's a full year after decomposition for all known human pathogens to be gone. This is after having reached a certain temperature for a certain length of time (thermophilic conditions). In any case, you could just compost it and not use it on edible crops. Use it in a flower garden or just bury it.

As for me, I just scoop the poops and flush them. I throw out the sawdust, but I've been thinking up a more eco-friendly poo system, for dog yard poo too.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ii've been using Jonny Cat Complete, which has been available at Big Lots for $3.00 for a 20-pound bag (just went up to $3.25).  I got sent an e-mail about using zeolite for cat litter.  I know that my covered litter boxes use zeolite air filtes.  Has anybody here used zeolite for cat litter?  It looks, so far, like the shipping charges are more than the actual stuff itself.

Also... do you use the same quantity?  How often do you have to lift out the Tootsie Rolls?  And how good is the odor control compared to regular cat litter?  I wouldn't mind finding and using something better than the clay litter I've been using, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, and I also don't want to have to scrape the boxes all the time.  I have 6 cats, and have 4 large covered boxes plus a monster-size open box for them. 

Sometimes I wish I could sell off the used litter to someone who would use it for compost.  Make the cats earn their keep, so to speak!  LOL!
I did not see johnny cat cat litter on big lots.com

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's so funny that I was just saying that I got the bigger box because Angel was a "hiney hanger."

I haven't had that problem sense I got the bigger box months ago.....until the other day, "I think I jinxed myself saying that."

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol thats funny are you sure he didn't throw it out of that box? because I catch my cat doing that he poops in the box and then flings it out as he is trying to cover it maybe that what angel did

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use the big 55 gallon Sterlite tubs and cut out an "entrance" on the side. They have nice high sides and can hold one bag of the corn litter that you can get at Walmart called "Natural Essentials" for around $6 a bag. I currently have 4 of them in various areas of the house. I have 9 cats, plus 2 house guests who will soon be going to their forever homes (Yay!).

Now with that being said... they all seem to love peeing in only one box 
. Don't get me wrong, they will pee in the other boxes, but only once they manage to fill the one box up completely  with pee. All the other boxes have nice little clumps of pee to scoop out but this box looks like a bucket of water was dumped in it 
. Tried putting another box right next to it... completely ignored it and commenced their peeing in that one box. I'm pretty sure they think it's funny.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, my cats recently started all peeing in one box (I added an extra in a different location. . .apparently a good peeing place!). I have to use non-clumping litter in that box because the clumping litter will turn to cement in the bottom of the box :eek:. And I need to dump it every few days because it gets so wet. Cats are weird.

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, that hiney hanger business is why I have really tall sides on the litter boxes.  They'd have to be pretty acrobatic to hang their hineys over my litter boxes!  Also, no spilling.  The pellets are too heavy to stick to their paws and the tall sides keep it from getting kicked out.  I have to make things as easy on myself as possible.  I have three little kids, I don't need any more messes!  

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use the big 55 gallon Sterlite tubs and cut out an "entrance" on the side. They have nice high sides and can hold one bag of the corn litter that you can get at Walmart called "Natural Essentials" for around $6 a bag. I currently have 4 of them in various areas of the house. I have 9 cats, plus 2 house guests who will soon be going to their forever homes (Yay!).

Now with that being said... they all seem to love peeing in only one box 
. Don't get me wrong, they will pee in the other boxes, but only once they manage to fill the one box up completely  with pee. All the other boxes have nice little clumps of pee to scoop out but this box looks like a bucket of water was dumped in it 
. Tried putting another box right next to it... completely ignored it and commenced their peeing in that one box. I'm pretty sure they think it's funny.
Yeah, that's rough.  While I had the litter of orphaned kittens, I had their little set up in the living room with their own litter box and ALL the cats started using it instead of any of the other litter boxes.  It was the worst possible one they could have chosen.  I mean, I'm not crazy about having a litter box in the living room to begin with and it was a smaller "kitten" one.  It's gone now, though.  

On the note of cats not using dirty litter boxes, when I switched to pellet litter, I put a litter full of pellets next to the clay one and just kept the pellet one way cleaner.  At first they preferred the clay, but after a while, they were like, "Hey, the pellets are never dirty... let's poo there!"  lol... kind of tricksy but it worked.  

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that hiney hanger business is why I have really tall sides on the litter boxes.  They'd have to be pretty acrobatic to hang their hineys over my litter boxes!  Also, no spilling.  The pellets are too heavy to stick to their paws and the tall sides keep it from getting kicked out.  I have to make things as easy on myself as possible.  I have three little kids, I don't need any more messes!
"I can imagine!" "One fur baby is enough for me." 

Yea, I love/ miss using the pellets, but after Angel getting Cystitis a few times, I have to stick w/ the clumping, so, I can monitor the amount he pee's.  I have a little rug outside of the box, & that helps cut down on tracking.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, I was in there when he did it. I think if he did that, it would've broke in half.  lol!
Oh so he was cought in the act i heard cats do that when there not feeling good